can we please stop the power creep, already? (or better - reverse it)

"
HerrImHimmel wrote:

I dont feel like investing alot into a conversation with people who dont watch their language

What exactly didn't you like about my language? Using sexually acceptable terms is not good language?

"
I get that have negative feelings, but you shouldnt express them in an official forum. Especially if its the forum of a game/community you enjoy.

This logic is beyond asinine. If a game I really liked sold out and dumbed down, I shouldn't express my feelings? How about no, I will express those feelings, ESPECIALLY if it's a forum of a game I care about. If I didn't care about poe enough, I wouldn't be here.

"

Also, the "power-creep" simply wont stop, i think.
and? you're suggesting to just let it go, bend over and take it? am I using soft enough language here?

"
I think some players even stated that they didnt like the game years before now, but since came back just recently and are enjoying it, bearing the point that it even might be better now for older players.

Yes, it's casual players.

"

But just for the record:
- Someone is not a "dopamine- driven kindergartener", seems like a valid argument.. i guess.

Not following your logic. You cherry pick a term. What did I say that was actually wrong? Do you understand that what I think is good for the game is not what the majority of players want? Moreover, what majority of players want will ruin the game long term, but they not caring enough and wanting instant gratification... Don't you think this is a valid and sound analogy? As far as modern gamers are dopamine addicts, then yes they are. Attention span is at tall time low

Moreover, in my previous post to mk I mention how reddit whining can manipulate GGG decisions. Aka spoiled child cries when he doesn't get his way, and parents buy him whatever the fuck he wants.

"

- give me a link of one of those 100 times, please. I can read up those explanations.

You didn't read this thread, did you? Because in this very thread there are many posts of mine detailing that artifical handicaps are not a proper way of dealing with the problem of average content being too easy on average

"
ts a statement, yes, and i get why you dont like it. Have you thought about scaling the content up via one of those new private leagues? You could scale up the difficulty that way.

Great, you see, we're making progress. Remember the question you asked as to why people would winningly slow themselves down? You answered it youtself didn't you?
Why do people in ssf or in private leagues, those who don't care about ladders, willingly slow themselves down? You know the answer now don't ya?

As for our argument you are now in the banal "you're a minority, we are majority" phase

"
I didnt say yellow maps, but post yellow maps (red maps). Please, stay witch me here.

Fine, red maps - it was my mistake of misreading. What's the difference though ? You are aware thst all new phase bosses have like no hp? Again, flask burst by itself is more enough by itself to bridge any sponginess in boss hp. A lot of those yellow bosses can kick your ass too, which you as my point again

You should come prepared better than to argue simply that power creep is good because majority likes it. This isn't an argument. So once again, you cannot construct a legit argument as to why power creep is justified aside front the banal fact that someone enjoys it. Sorry not good enough, like they say 3 out of 4 people enjoy a gangrape

There are coherent arguments as to why it's bad for the health of the game though:

It makes old content obsolete
It makes average level of game less difficult, dumbibg down
It makes choices matter less and be more of cosmetic nature
It makes the game more forgiving
It makes majority of gameplay more homogenous
It makes design space smaller
It makes environment in pve be irrelevant, most mobs might as well be balls of goo
It makes itemization like non-shaper or elder rares irrelevant
It makes crowd control irrelevant
It makes combat with non-boss mobs irrelevant
It makes positioning and targeting irrelevant
It blatantly encourages offense over defense
It encourages inflation of values for sake of inflation

There are a few more but this should be enough for now.

Last edited by grepman on Nov 20, 2018, 5:21:57 AM
"
HerrImHimmel wrote:

"
me ?

this is one of THE main problems of modern gamers - they WANT an experience that is as densely packed with as much 'entertainment' as possible per unit of time. and companies, scared shitless that these gamers will quit their game if they don't, simply dump dopamine on them and caress their balls and rim their assholes.

Whats so bad about entertainment or dopamine? Isnt that why you play video games?
You should also maybe watch your language and calm down a bit.

I'm just going to address the first part and going to pretend I didn't hear the second part.

What is wrong is that games have routines and journeys that are meant to be frustrating. They used to have that. Now games removed the frustration part and want to deliver JUST the telling players how good and powerful they are. This is wrong and in real world, this is you getting candy for breakfast lunch and dinner instead of being fed vegetables protein and grains.

As a result they develop add and intolerance to failures, the moment shit doesn't go their way they will quit the game and/or throw a tantrum. It harbors inability to FAIL. And if players don't want to fail and companies appease them, what happens? Games in which you can't effectively fail and are constant ego stroking.

I play games for dopamine, but I don't play them for instant dopamine or continuous rate of dopamine. I play games like I debug my programs. Being told constantly how good and powerful I am, is boring as fuck and poses no challenge or frustration. If I want to be rimmed, again, I can get a human being to do it.

It's beating a retard in special Olympics. Sure it can give you dopamine. If you're a contestant. If you aren't, what fun is it to beat up on contestants? Same fun as to stomp poe mobs like ants without looking at the screen reading mods or paying attention.

I hope that fully answers your question
Last edited by grepman on Nov 20, 2018, 5:30:58 AM
"
grepman wrote:

this is a problem, when your players (and not exactly the original players you started with) start dictating shit

Well, i think that game should be made for players, so listening to them isnt actually bad.
however, as i already wrote earlier, if they indeed want to make a sonic-fast game for rush addict players, then they should change many of game's aspects to accomodate it. Game's engine, for example. They cant make a truly FAST game with that clunky, unoptimised and resource-hungry engine they've got. Also, add auto-pickup, AH, big inventory, identified items drop nd many other things, that wont slow down a player on his ascention to becoming the Quicksilver incarnate.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
It already is a truly fast game, for optmimized builds.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Powercreep is here to stay, becasue the content gets additions too. You expect the powerlvl of characters to remain static forever, while new and more challenging content gets added? Ok...

Ppl wanna feel powerful and blast stuff to smithereens, not take 15 minutes clearing a pack of mobs xD
Besides beginners and even average playes don't even reach real endgame anyway and the vets always do btw, so it doesn't even matter.
Quit after Legion, rejoined PoE to see what the game's like now in 3.12.
Last edited by Paldamus on Nov 20, 2018, 8:19:57 AM
Rob, IRONBRO IS A REAL FIGHTER AIGHT?! Also i dont think theres really more power creep now than any time before. You can't really stop build guides from telling everyone how to do what in a fairly effective way.

I guess CoC or old mjolner discharge memes were fine way back in the day, but stat sticks and their impending nerf or a massive rng with 1 random choose your mod thing is just totally out of line.

99% of new players that don't follow a guide will be so terribly unsuccessful, there are a giant amount of things in core aside from whatever league is launched to try to grasp.. All aside from trying to make a build that can get past t3 blue maps.

As anything that was ever true a new player can get on forums and make a mistake ridden build that will still be half successful, because there can't be zero ways to beat the game, and an issue with diversity of ways to beat the game has and continues to be a bigger problem than "powerful mods must be bad"

You've been on about power creep since shaper/elder mods. I miss standard ctf with you. This shit is making me sad.
Last edited by theD4nk0wl on Nov 20, 2018, 5:26:36 PM
"
theD4nk0wl wrote:
Rob, IRONBRO IS A REAL FIGHTER AIGHT?!

lolz. he didn't even know weight classes. hahahaha

"
theD4nk0wl wrote:
Also i dont think theres really more power creep now than any time before.

bs. more power creep got added with almost every patch.

there's no way you can believe that.

"
theD4nk0wl wrote:
You can't really stop build guides from telling everyone how to do what in a fairly effective way.

I guess CoC or old mjolner discharge memes were fine way back in the day, but stat sticks and their impending nerf or a massive rng with 1 random choose your mod thing is just totally out of line.

...huh?

you just explained our point. mjolner's were OP. and nerfed because of it. they were about 1/10th as strong as the current shit. because the power creep has been freakin' unreal.

"
theD4nk0wl wrote:
99% of new players that don't follow a guide will be so massively unsuccessful, there are a giant amount of things in core aside from whatever league is launched to try to grasp.. All aside from trying to make a build that can get past t3 blue maps.

As anything that was ever true a new player can get on forums and make a mistake ridden build that will be half successful, because there can't be zero ways to beat the game, and an issue with diversity of ways to beat the game has and continues to be a bigger problem than "powerful mods must be bad"

You've been on about power creep since shaper/elder mods. I miss standard ctf with you. This shit is making sad.

new players are moot to this.

i've been bitching about power creep since they announced new tiers (ie: merciless, dictator's, etc). i quit playing for a while and laid off it for bit, then bitched a lot when ascendancy happened. and when 2 more ascendancy points got added. and etc. i didn't bitch about abyss jewels at the time... because i had had enough of the bullshit and outright quit for another 5 months or so.

and i miss playing pvp. not sure if you saw the screenshots i posted, but 3.4 made it literally unplayable for me (and headless and a few others). i might be throwing together a new nerdbox soon, though. i presume the ryzen 5/7 and etc won't have 4-5+ second constant load spikes in pvp...
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
I had the symptoms early in league too where I'd just freeze for indefinite amounts of time in arena or even ctf.

I think i changed predictive back to off? Something eventually helped.

But no I'm serious I can think of times when uber atziri was the hardest boss and flicker would blast to her and ez her while most builds half struggled with normal atziri. Now atziri is a joke but uber elder has a pretty select few ways to kill it.

I'm actually scared if I'm trying to level in 400s delve with any big double dmg mods and im on 17k es 20% regen from my mines and half high block values. Like always theres a few bs ways that break delve and im sure itll get some nerfs in that direction.

I can think of times when clear speed on average was faster than current, of times when sextant blocking was a thing and xp gains hadn't been nerfed and qotf had no cap...

Shaper content was easier to trivialize when it came out than uber elder stuff now.

I guess my point is that I've seen worse power creep states of the game than now, I mean how are they going to keep this thing alive without adding mods and content? So all i can say is from my experience the state of the game has always had 'power creep.' I think wayyyyy back before i picked it up in beta and the 1 point etc patches were closest to clean but that's natural. And we've both played and enjoyed the game well past that
"
Paldamus wrote:
Powercreep is here to stay, becasue the content gets additions too. You expect the powerlvl of characters to remain static forever, while new and more challenging content gets added? Ok...

Awful argument, and if you actually read the thread, it was addressed before. The hard content that gets added doesn't offset the power level of players at all.

Again, AVERAGE power level of players VS content grew immensely. If what you said was true and both sides grew equally, the average power level would remain the same
But it didn't.

"

Ppl wanna feel powerful and blast stuff to smithereens, not take 15 minutes clearing a pack of mobs xD

Same lame token response
Poe used to be slow, and most complaints about poe weren't about its speed. People were actually quite content with its speed. It had other problems, but being slow at the endgame was never a huge complain. People played poe a lot in 2013,where it took some time to kill monsters.

Your blanket statement is just that. If you added arpg genre is about that you'd have a token statement that proponents of add clear speed make

"

Besides beginners and even average playes don't even reach real endgame anyway and the vets always do btw, so it doesn't even matter.
what does that mean? I don't get it.
"
theD4nk0wl wrote:

99% of new players that don't follow a guide will be so terribly unsuccessful, there are a giant amount of things in core aside from whatever league is launched to try to grasp.. All aside from trying to make a build that can get past t3 blue maps.

If 99% of new players could succeed in their first build playing blind, why even play a game like that? It's be choose your way to dress up barbie, not "the hardcore arpg you've been waiting for"

"

As anything that was ever true a new player can get on forums and make a mistake ridden build that will still be half successful, because there can't be zero ways to beat the game@

I don't get the sentiment. Making a bricked build is an integral part of gaming or anything in life, it's called learning through mistakes.

Modern gamers however are allergic to failures stemming from lack of knowledge or experience and treat bricked builds as wasted time

Somehow these same modern gamers don't view learning and failing in driving a car the first time as "wasting time". Or learning how to use new operating system they've never seen before

Why is gaming different? You're supposed dto brick shit when learning a complex game. See dwarf fortress.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info