People are overreacting

"
Aim_Deep wrote:
What good is a company if it can't make you money? You can't make money unless you make people happy. I have full confidence tencent will make people happy to make thier investment back and then some.

You will be happy.

Look, in a couple of years this game is going to be very different from what is now and what used to be.

There will be a new (probably bigger) playerbase, old one will be mostly gone (feeling alientated), and after sometime, after having ferociously milked the cow non stop, Trescent will leave PoE remains in the dust, moving to a more remunerative IP to milk.

Videogames history is full of examples, this kind of things always go the same route.
This is not overreacting, it's just a matter of fact.

:^) I'm fine with GGG selling their soul if that would mean the game would be optimized to run on nonsuper computers if I decide to play anything but standard with builds that have no effects or want to play with more then myself.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
Don't get me wrong. I WANT there to be a cash flow drop. This isn't me just saying, 'Gosh, I hope it doesn't happen but it might, because this isn't good guys'. No, my withholding future support is emblematic of what I want others to do. And I want that drop in cash flow to result in Tencent doing whatever they can to salvage things. In the long run, I want GGG to crash and burn. Because as of today, it is not a game company owned and operated in New Zealand. It's just another Tencent sub-company.

A day for firsts, it seems. The GGG that was got their payday. It is redundant for me to say I wish Chris and his all the best, because that's happened. On a personal level, I cannot but admire this. To go from three developers in a garage to seriously wealthy men. That's awesome.

But they had to sell out to do it, and no one really saw this coming. Not now. We didn't have any indications the company was in dire straits -- if anything, going by sales numbers, they seemed as profitable as ever. Maybe they took a real hit with Bestiary. I don't know. Either way, this doesn't feel like a bail-out or a desperate move. It smacks of greed, and no supporter likes to think of GGG as greedy. It doesn't mesh with what we've been led to believe for years.

So either GGG was doing much worse than we knew, or someone finally found their price. Finally.

I think we all know which it is.

And I refuse to support that. And you should too.

LMAO! This is as good as the DON'T TORTURE ANIMALS IN A VIDEO GAME meme! Euphoric!

Uploaded an awesome Exsanguinate Freeze Explosion build on the forums - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3508506

"
Kiss_Me_Quick wrote:

LMAO! This is as good as the DON'T TORTURE ANIMALS IN A VIDEO GAME meme! Euphoric!

haaaa Kiss ridicule antics. I can t forget how you complained about negative end of world feedbacks, insulting posters doing them then few days later created a negative feedback on your own claiming poe was shit and what s not.

Your opinion is worth nothing since then you know!

"
鬼殺し wrote:

Do not confuse PoE for GGG. PoE's been in a holding pattern for a while now, with any real money it makes going straight back into it, leaving Chris and his little room to grow. 6 years and no sign of a sequel, of even a second game from the studio called 'Grinding Gear GameS'.

The result of GGG failing now would be...well, a loss for Tencent. Which I completely invite. Chris and co got their payday. They'll certainly make more, but it's blood money now, figuratively speaking. They are beholden. They have sold out. Golden handcuffs.

Even if that results in a better PoE. As long as it's 'by GGG', it's 'by Tencent'. And it's such a tiny, weeny piece of the Tencent pie that it no longer really means anything at all.

I'm going to stick with my original hope, detailed in another thread, that this dramatic shift in shareholding will lead to a departure of the core GGG developers to start over, using all they've learned and this no doubt huge payout to make the game they really wanted to make in 2012. Probably won't happen, but I'd absolutely support it. Of course.

Unfortunately the more likely scenario is they'll use this cash injection to make more titles under the Grinding Gear Games name (probably part of the agreement). Which I can't and won't support. For whatever little or lot that's worth. Probably nothing by now. :)

GGG-tencent making a poe based card game on mobile ala heartstone is probable now. They might try to get P2w cashbox money using poe in some other way...

Bloodmoney hu yea good image.
Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
Last edited by Head_Less on May 21, 2018, 4:46:37 AM
"
FrancescoV wrote:

Videogames history is full of examples, this kind of things always go the same route.
This is not overreacting, it's just a matter of fact.

Full of examples you say? Lets do a quick google search, shall we?

https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/3n0ppc/who_is_tencent_and_what_did_they_do_to_ruin_league/

2 years ago, hmmm...

https://forum.supercell.com/showthread.php/1143459-Tencent-This-company-is-joke-Here-WHY%21

2 years ago. Well, uh...

Fortnite! They ruined Epic Games! Shit, wait... actually.

I mean, sure, I'm too afraid of a huge company like this dealing so many cards and owning so much. But please, point me to terrible decisions by Tencent that caused games to drown.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
As a New Zealander I was super proud to play this game, now it’s owned offshore,its lost something special for me. What a shame, hope the game doesn’t get screwed over.
"
kuciol wrote:
Little offtopic.

Funny thing i noticed is that when any change is announced (nerfs, buffs, new mechanic, anything) there is that group of 10-15 same poeple that say its the end. Always the same players are so negative and i cant figure out why. BEGONE DOOMSAYERS!

That's funny, since the noisiest crowd regarding Tencent is almost completely different from those who complain about "changes". I guess 'some people' just see what they want to see, haha.

"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Don't get me wrong. I WANT there to be a cash flow drop. This isn't me just saying, 'Gosh, I hope it doesn't happen but it might, because this isn't good guys'. No, my withholding future support is emblematic of what I want others to do. And I want that drop in cash flow to result in Tencent doing whatever they can to salvage things. In the long run, I want GGG to crash and burn. Because as of today, it is not a game company owned and operated in New Zealand. It's just another Tencent sub-company.

How utterly childish. You're basically saying you want the game to be ruined for everyone who still enjoys it because it's ruined for you.

What you're saying is that opposing corruption or crime or anything for that matter is childish because it'll also negatively affect people who aren't directly involved in the process but benefit from it.

People with anti-Tencent views obviously hope for GGG to crash and burn. It's Tencent property now after all. If you're looking for someone to blame or call childish for this simple fact, look at GGG, not Charan.
"
Head_Less wrote:

haaaa Kiss ridicule antics. I can t forget how you complained about negative end of world feedbacks, insulting posters doing them then few days later created a negative feedback on your own claiming poe was shit and what s not.

Your opinion is worth nothing since then you know!

I look at things objectively so my opinion is worth everything since I haven't drown my face between GGGs buttcheeks and I don't hate everything that they do.

Stay euphoric, young man!

Uploaded an awesome Exsanguinate Freeze Explosion build on the forums - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3508506
If I was on their position (the trio of directors), I would do the same thing at some stage of company growth.

It is logical to get a huge boost of funds (80% shares selling profit) for my future while keeping a symbolic percentage to have money trickling from which I would live off while the big cash would rest easy in some bank and generate interest.

If things go south, they aren't in majority and can withdraw.

If things continue getting better (financially) all the better for them.

I see no fault with Chris Wilson and company and can't have any negative feelings.

If my opinion of game changes, I am free to withdraw at any time, but I hope my stay here is for years to come.
Spreading salt since 2006
Last edited by Necromael on May 21, 2018, 5:14:36 AM
This is how it works.

In IT businesses interfering the work of your employees are considered as a really bad practice.(i'm embedded engineer in a company) In valve you are not giving tasks to finish for example, or in big IT companies which is centered around entertainment it's uncommon to be told "do this, finish this today" Even in my work place, you can go to job any time you want, or you may not come to job at all as long as you finish the works you've promised for that week.(everybody comes to job at 9.00 am at latest tho) This has been tested throughout the years and this give-your-employees-freedom model works best in creative-IT business.(small companies can't dare to use this though)

So i believe Tencent may leave GGG to do their own thing while just functioning like a sugar daddy. Yes, that's possible. Don't be so pessimistic about that. Tencent's growth in the business is really unbeliavable, we can safely say that these guys know how to run businesses. They only check the bottom line and keep supporting regardless what GGG does as long as GGG brings profit to them.

However, if GGG can't supply Tencent with enough $$$ and underperform compared to what Tencent has predicted, then Tencent will start pulling the strings and this will be the end of GGG and poe. Big companies fall faster and harder and they are more fierce and unforgiving when profits are showing minus values. Unfortunately this is likely to happen, Poe is a very lucky game that there wasn't enough game could rival it for a very long time. At most cases GGG's decisions were on point(balance, game mechanics etc) yet i still think poe is getting outdated and the best idea would be to stay an indie company and please their veterans/try hards instead of expanding like how zergs would do in starcraft. (a p2win which is resonable like warframe's would be a good idea for survival of the game too, this is my personal idea)

I still like poe, I still think these guys are still one of the best gamers of our time. Game making is a really expensive thing and they weren't able to fix the problems they see due to lack of resources and push poe forward as they wanted to due to lack of $$$$. This was likely to happen. Don't be very pessimistic but take this as a bad signal for GGG and poe's future too.
"You have great power. You're right to be proud. It's unfortunate you have to die now, but I will honor you with 45% of my strength."
Last edited by Rupenus on May 21, 2018, 5:28:53 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info