People are overreacting

"
Inaithnir wrote:
1. Tencent buys significant share in GGG
2. People proclaim GGG are sellouts
3. GGG continues working on game as before, with increased staff, quality and quantity as detailed in Chris' statement
4. People stop supporting because they don't want to pay megacorp Tencent instead of the actually-not-small-at-all multi-million dollar indie company
5. PoE no longer profitable, GGG required to downsize
6. Content becomes weaker, less frequent
7. People stop playing/supporting even more
8. PoE is shut down/no longer updated
9. Players blame Tencent and claim they were right all along

Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me.

EDIT: clarified line 3

I do not think much of this will happen as most people here are overreacting and in the minority. This happened with the Xbox announcement too. It would also be nice if people siding with GGG would stop telling those who do not like the Tencent situation to buy more supporter packs to prevent the "downfall" of GGG as that would only make them even angrier really.

"
Inaithnir wrote:

10. GGG releases the 10-cent supporter packs and bounces back.

Peace,

-Boem-

Why do you keep signing your posts? You are not writing a formal letter nor are you something significant. Can also see who you are by looking to the right at your post.
"
DrCola wrote:
"
Inaithnir wrote:
1. Tencent buys significant share in GGG
2. People proclaim GGG are sellouts
3. GGG continues working on game as before, with increased staff, quality and quantity as detailed in Chris' statement
4. People stop supporting because they don't want to pay megacorp Tencent instead of the actually-not-small-at-all multi-million dollar indie company
5. PoE no longer profitable, GGG required to downsize
6. Content becomes weaker, less frequent
7. People stop playing/supporting even more
8. PoE is shut down/no longer updated
9. Players blame Tencent and claim they were right all along

Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me.

EDIT: clarified line 3

I do not think much of this will happen as most people here are overreacting and in the minority. This happened with the Xbox announcement too. It would also be nice if people siding with GGG would stop telling those who do not like the Tencent situation to buy more supporter packs to prevent the "downfall" of GGG as that would only make them even angrier really.

"
Inaithnir wrote:

10. GGG releases the 10-cent supporter packs and bounces back.

Peace,

-Boem-

Why do you keep signing your posts? You are not writing a formal letter nor are you something significant. Can also see who you are by looking to the right at your post.

well its Boem, thats his thing

also are you in any way related to Dr. Pepper?
I dont see any any key!
"6. Content becomes weaker, less frequent"

Actually I would welcome this change. Game is going forward too fast. Till you achieve something really valuable the game has new expansion and new big goals. I would welcome slower game. One big expansion every year is enough. Smaller updates and balance changes every 1/2 year.
"
Kastmar wrote:
"6. Content becomes weaker, less frequent"

Actually I would welcome this change. Game is going forward too fast. Till you achieve something really valuable the game has new expansion and new big goals. I would welcome slower game. One big expansion every year is enough. Smaller updates and balance changes every 1/2 year.

Given that leagues seem to die off after month 2 I thinK thats a bad idea
I dont see any any key!
It won't happen because there's very well paid analysts who cost scenarios ongoing and other people who strategise ways to profit/ marketing to the same/ new customers.

This isn't a lemonade stand. It's multi million dollar business.

Will the game change and not engage the old customers? Possibly. But failing due to losing the kind of current supporters the post appeals to? no, ain't gonna happen that way.

Last edited by erdelyii on May 22, 2018, 12:41:19 PM
I 100% thought this was a necro thread that someone summon's after every new league.. or post. There is so little positive on this forum.

Can't wait for the next 10 new rant threads from someone who decided theirs would be different from the horde of other ones on the same topic.
Last edited by frenzul on May 22, 2018, 12:41:41 PM
Yeah, positive and analytical don't tend to go together in the same entity too often.

But it's nice when they do, in proportional doses.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Don't get me wrong. I WANT there to be a cash flow drop. This isn't me just saying, 'Gosh, I hope it doesn't happen but it might, because this isn't good guys'. No, my withholding future support is emblematic of what I want others to do. And I want that drop in cash flow to result in Tencent doing whatever they can to salvage things. In the long run, I want GGG to crash and burn. Because as of today, it is not a game company owned and operated in New Zealand. It's just another Tencent sub-company.

How utterly childish. You're basically saying you want the game to be ruined for everyone who still enjoys it because it's ruined for you.

Do not confuse PoE for GGG. PoE's been in a holding pattern for a while now, with any real money it makes going straight back into it, leaving Chris and his little room to grow. 6 years and no sign of a sequel, of even a second game from the studio called 'Grinding Gear GameS'.

The result of GGG failing now would be...well, a loss for Tencent. Which I completely invite. Chris and co got their payday. They'll certainly make more, but it's blood money now, figuratively speaking. They are beholden. They have sold out. Golden handcuffs.

Even if that results in a better PoE. As long as it's 'by GGG', it's 'by Tencent'. And it's such a tiny, weeny piece of the Tencent pie that it no longer really means anything at all.

I'm going to stick with my original hope, detailed in another thread, that this dramatic shift in shareholding will lead to a departure of the core GGG developers to start over, using all they've learned and this no doubt huge payout to make the game they really wanted to make in 2012. Probably won't happen, but I'd absolutely support it. Of course.

Unfortunately the more likely scenario is they'll use this cash injection to make more titles under the Grinding Gear Games name (probably part of the agreement). Which I can't and won't support. For whatever little or lot that's worth. Probably nothing by now. :)

Sorry old whale. I respect you a lot for things you have done. And I actually believe you donated so much money cause of the reasons yout stated.
But do you realise how hypocritical you are ?
You say the name GGG is tainted now ? How can you separate GGG and the Chris gang. They sold out not GGG. Yes GGG is now a part of Tencent, so what ? If you really want to be sad/angry etc be it with the persons who are actually responcible for that cash out and those are the guys you want to follow to their next project. They betrayed you once they will do it again.
Just my 2 cents
"
k1rage wrote:

well its Boem, thats his thing

also are you in any way related to Dr. Pepper?

Well I made my nickname since I wanted to make an account for something 10 years ago and decided for this in parody of dr.pepper yea lol
"
Seronia wrote:

Sorry old whale. I respect you a lot for things you have done. And I actually believe you donated so much money cause of the reasons yout stated.
But do you realise how hypocritical you are ?
You say the name GGG is tainted now ? How can you separate GGG and the Chris gang. They sold out not GGG. Yes GGG is now a part of Tencent, so what ? If you really want to be sad/angry etc be it with the persons who are actually responcible for that cash out and those are the guys you want to follow to their next project. They betrayed you once they will do it again.
Just my 2 cents
You could say... he’s no longer whalecome YEAAAAAAH

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info