Tencent & Charan

Since i havn't found it brought up yet. I just wanted to speculate about the news of the 2020 4.0.0 Mega Expansion.

The last week or so, Chris and GGG has been adamant on mentioning this detail which is very unlike them. Expansion notices rarely ever get attention this early. while Tencent is sketchy for sure, i think that GGG has taken the money to realize some a greater goal for the game, with the purpose of hiring a lot more developers for that goal alone. Also any company that gets majority share does so with the purpose of making money, and i think anyone would be able to see that the value proposition of GGG is NOT to be a pay to win. It simply just goes against all of the games design choices. Tencent would lose money QUICK if they tried it on the western market.

Colorblind? - Check out the Unofficial colourblind mode!
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2147271
Last edited by Priory on May 21, 2018, 1:43:36 PM
"
Ain_Soph_Aur wrote:
To lighten the mood a bit...and since I think most of us, while sad for POE and its future, are happy for Chris and the team and will follow them if they indeed move on...anyone care to speculate on a "POE2".

What aspects of POE do we hope Chris and the team carry into a new game?

I hope they stick with the no gold/usable items for currency aspect and some semblance of the skill tree.

I will be a "alpha" supporter the day they announce supporter packs are available!

I really hope this happens, it would be outstanding if Chris and the gang left to pursue a new game

Many a skilled game designer have left their company and went on to make great games at another
I dont see any any key!
"
vio wrote:
"
Ain_Soph_Aur wrote:
anyone care to speculate on a "POE2"

chris did start in baeclast ep23: he wants to make a hardcore game again where people struggle and die all the time.

he episode is watchable if you ignore the streamers talking.

I really dont understand how tarke has any following...
I dont see any any key!
What it really comes down to with all these huge donations is that Tencent is just evil, do you really want to give them the money?

They are the ones keeping social scores on chinese citizens, for the government. They made their starting "big" funds by coping ICQ and selling it to the asian market while hiding under Chinas piracy laws so they wouldnt get sued. Do anyone really want to give them their money?

As for Charan, I really hope Chris and GGG already spent all you donated and more, since you seem to dislike Tencent just as much as I do.
"
k1rage wrote:
"
vio wrote:
"
Ain_Soph_Aur wrote:
anyone care to speculate on a "POE2"

chris did start in baeclast ep23: he wants to make a hardcore game again where people struggle and die all the time.

he episode is watchable if you ignore the streamers talking.

I really dont understand how tarke has any following...

there's the intnernetz having all sorts of people ...
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Well I guess I'll finally get that Auction House I've always wanted.

But seriously folks, this is going to play out in likely one of two ways,

1. Enough players are upset about the buyout and stop buying MTX and/or stop playing. New company sees PoE as a profit loss and dumps it. Game over man.

2. Majority of players don't care, keep going on as usual and the game continues on until its natural demise.

I'd say scenario #2 is way more likely
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Alright, here's what I really think. What I really hope. I haven't talked to anyone about it,

but

This might be the start of something new.

Looking at the shareholder division and how different it is to what I've known over the years, it looks less like an investment as Chris put it, and more like a takeover. A slaughter. Tencent clearly want a big piece of the PoE pie, and the only way to acquire that is through GGG.

Okay, that's what we know.

Here's what we don't know but have long suspected.

PoE isn't the game GGG wanted to make anymore, let alone play. It's not the hardcore ARPG we've all been waiting for. It's been compromised by botting and rmt (especially with the massive fold-in of Garena Russian accounts a few years ago), it's a speed-fest shooting game. It's toxic. It's dated. It keeps getting more and more content but little of it really enriches the game. PoE is bloated and out of control.

GGG have made only one game and it's been a fluke in some ways. They came out of the gate fast and hard and roped a BUNCH of us into the vision. They broke records. They declared they'd be 100% free to play and 100% moral about it and they've stuck to that vision. But you don't get it right the first time. No one does. Not fully. You learn a lot along the way. You make mistakes. You improve, but your first product? It rarely benefits fully from all of this.

This is why most game developers with a successful first game end up making another game, to incorporate all they've learned. To do better next time.

The reason GGG can't do that is fairly obvious: they've put all their eggs into the PoE basket. Our support money goes to upkeep and development of PoE. It would be unthinkable that they'd have the time or resources to contemplate a new game, one worthy of succeeding PoE. We all know how strapped they've been for both in that regard.

...Well, I figure with an 80% buyout, they're not so strapped anymore.

And I want to believe that Chris and co still have a love of making games in them. Making games the way they want to make them. Not beholden to others. You know, what we all expected during the beta.

So if I'm to put on my tin foil hat and really dream, I'm going to wonder if this isn't a phoenix situation. Because Chris all but literally set fire to the relationship between GGG supporters and GGG today. Something more than a huge payout should come from that.

If not, then fine. They've earned their payday and then some. But a lot of us have been calling for a reset for a while now. A clearing of the board.

It's possible that meant not only revising what we know of PoE, but also of GGG...

When we say we support GGG, what we're really saying is we support Chris, Jonathan, Carl, Erik, and anyone else we've known over the years to embody what it is we love about GGG. Without them, it's just another name...

We've seen something like this before, with Blizzard North losing its best and brightest. I only hope things might go better this time, since Flagship Studios (Hellgate) was a terribly ignoble end for Roper, Marvel Heroes didn't go so well and eventually even Torchlight succumbed...

This is why you're our only rightful ruler, thank your very much. :)

What fed your impression that PoE isn't the game GGG wants it to be?

I know that there are things they would love to never have done (broken movement skills) they can't take away from us now, and that Chris still plays PoE like it's 2010.

But then there's that famous "TV" quote, conflicting BotW picks and additions to the game that only further escalate what's already dominant. (watch Hegemony's reaction to "Loreweave", it's hilarious)
Perception is reality.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Alright, here's what I really think. What I really hope. I haven't talked to anyone about it,

but

Looking at the shareholder division and how different it is to what I've known over the years, it looks less like an investment as Chris put it, and more like a takeover. A slaughter. Tencent clearly want a big piece of the PoE pie, and the only way to acquire that is through GGG.

PoE isn't the game GGG wanted to make anymore, let alone play. It's not the hardcore ARPG we've all been waiting for. It's been compromised by botting and rmt (especially with the massive fold-in of Garena Russian accounts a few years ago), it's a speed-fest shooting game. It's toxic. It's dated. It keeps getting more and more content but little of it really enriches the game. PoE is bloated and out of control.

GGG have made only one game and it's been a fluke in some ways. They came out of the gate fast and hard and roped a BUNCH of us into the vision. They broke records. They declared they'd be 100% free to play and 100% moral about it and they've stuck to that vision. But you don't get it right the first time. No one does. Not fully. You learn a lot along the way. You make mistakes. You improve, but your first product? It rarely benefits fully from all of this.

This is why most game developers with a successful first game end up making another game, to incorporate all they've learned. To do better next time.

The reason GGG can't do that is fairly obvious: they've put all their eggs into the PoE basket. Our support money goes to upkeep and development of PoE. It would be unthinkable that they'd have the time or resources to contemplate a new game, one worthy of succeeding PoE. We all know how strapped they've been for both in that regard.

And I want to believe that Chris and co still have a love of making games in them. Making games the way they want to make them. Not beholden to others. You know, what we all expected during the beta.

So if I'm to put on my tin foil hat and really dream, I'm going to wonder if this isn't a phoenix situation. Because Chris all but literally set fire to the relationship between GGG supporters and GGG today. Something more than a huge payout should come from that.

If not, then fine. They've earned their payday and then some. But a lot of us have been calling for a reset for a while now. A clearing of the board.

It's possible that meant not only revising what we know of PoE, but also of GGG...

When we say we support GGG, what we're really saying is we support Chris, Jonathan, Carl, Erik, and anyone else we've known over the years to embody what it is we love about GGG. Without them, it's just another name...

We've seen something like this before, with Blizzard North losing its best and brightest. I only hope things might go better this time, since Flagship Studios (Hellgate) was a terribly ignoble end for Roper, Marvel Heroes didn't go so well and eventually even Torchlight succumbed...

Where this fits into a vision of a 2019 ExileCon in NZ is anyone's guess though. I'm still really baffled by this combination. Shareholder takeovers like this don't happen overnight, so the GGGang must have known it was coming when they announced ExileCon.

...How exactly did they expect that to go after this news?

with how this community treats anything that rubs them even the slightest bit wrong, I wonder why Chris decided washing his hands of them would be a good idea. /s

In his place, with the amount of negativity I've seen, I would probably do the same. It's almost like nothing they do can please the majority of this lot any more, with one part saying "this is great", the other part saying "this is how it could be better" and the biggest part going "omg dis gaem sux no more mtx/support" which has been the case for at least three leagues now.

If I had to deal with a bunch of doomsayers going on about how every change to the game would kill it, I would probably make the headlines by driving my car off a bridge. That Chris Wilson and the rest of GGG haven't decided this would be a good idea is nothing short of astounding for me.

But let me make one thing absolutely clear: if the players are the cause for GGG going under, it will set a record in the gaming industry, and not one I would care to see taking place. I will also become extremely pissed off should that happen. It's like none of them understand what taking a few steps back for continued longevity means.

Far be it from me to use the no true scotsman fallacy here, but it seems to me that every single player seems to have a different idea about that, and that bodes very ill for me as somebody who's been here since the closed beta. If this leads to the game becoming another chinese p2w clone, then I'll accept directly that something went wrong, but not until then.
1337 21gn17ur3
"
widardd wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:

but

This is why you're our only rightful ruler, thank your very much. :)

What fed your impression that PoE isn't the game GGG wants it to be?

I know that there are things they would love to never have done (broken movement skills) they can't take away from us now, and that Chris still plays PoE like it's 2010.

But then there's that famous "TV" quote, conflicting BotW picks and additions to the game that only further escalate what's already dominant. (watch Hegemony's reaction to "Loreweave", it's hilarious)

Actually im pretty sure Charan only rules about 20% of Wraeclast now lol
I dont see any any key!
Bought by tencent ?

We all know the next step ...

Spoiler
Hf :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info