Tencent & Charan

I really dunno how this will end. I think there is not enought data about situations and plans. Im careful but not really terryfied. Well not more than usuall regarding the worlds state.

But i hope one thing - IF something will break PoE i hope they will release exe installer for playing offline before they close the servers. Just that. Maby with some menu that allows to pick what League i want to play.

You mean H1Z1's concept, which is where PUBG stole it from in the first place down to brass tacks. I do believe (faulty memory incoming) that PUBG started out as a mod for H1Z1's King of the Hill mode, then branched out 'solo' to do absolutely nothing original before being picked up by the security black hole that is Bluehole later on.

...the more you know.

That's also why Epic games won the argument of allegations of 'stealing' the PUBG 'concept' from them when they started implementing (independently and then with collaboration with) Fortnite: Battle Royale - Epic and the people behind PUBG entered into a deal to refine the Unreal engine (that Epic owns and that PUBG runs on), with an explicit contract quantifier stating that anything that resulted would go back towards Fortnite (because Epic owns the engine). PUBG side started blaming the other side of 'stealing', Epic lol'd in their faces, and the matter got settled.

I actually did all of this research for a better context of why I find the entire concept boring and was pretty much munching popcorn the entire time when PUBG had the brass set to declare someone else was stealing a concept. Bloody precious.

I don't doubt that they'll refine the PoE version at some point, though - I'm sure they would have looked at doing it in general given how popular it was, but given how Tencent (and China to a degree) tend to like competitive gaming systems...

Still, it was a solid bet, now it's just a matter of how far that horse went out in front.

(TANGENT: I find 'battle royale' things completely boring and uninteresting from a player and viewer perspective - it basically takes the dramatic tension and storytelling out of the concept and replaces it with all the boring stuff that narratives like The Hunger Games and Battle Royale could gloss over, and made it a game. Camping is a legitimate strategy, but it's also boring as dogshite to watch.

But, to each their own. A lot of the stuff I do watch would likely be considered boring and unengaging by other people. Like RPG speedruns.)
Last edited by Foxfirega on May 29, 2018, 2:57:21 AM
"
Foxfirega wrote:
You mean H1Z1's concept, which is where PUBG stole it from in the first place down to brass tacks. I do believe (faulty memory incoming) that PUBG started out as a mod for H1Z1's King of the Hill mode, then branched out 'solo' to do absolutely nothing original before being picked up by the security black hole that is Bluehole later on.

H1Z1? Hah, no, this whole Battle Royale thing started with an ArmA 2 mod in ~2013; H1Z1 didn't exist until two years later. This ArmA mod was made by PlayerUnknown, byyy the way.
Last edited by Vipermagi on May 29, 2018, 7:09:49 AM
I thought ARMA was involved, but I was less confident on how and where it fit in the total timeline and hadn't deeply investigated it. S'a fair cop.

Though, looking at it, you're correct - the developer for PUBG had infact worked on it as a mod for ARMA2 before branching out of it. So I had a lot of my information shuffled. Still, I do know the concept hadn't quite been an original one, and a lot of the interface elements for PUBG itself were carried over from it's time as a mod (clunkiness and all). Also looks like the lead dev/mod maker did consulting work for H1Z1 as well (explains that issue) so collaboration wasn't entirely out of place.

Then the concept got heavily watered down by the time the Epic/PUBG snafu came up and both the contract and precedent kind of torpedo'd any argument that PUBG had at the time. By the time PUBG got to the market in 2017 it kind of already had a large number of competitors that did the same concept (and even used some very similar outside of minor details maps from other works, namely ARMA and H1Z1).

I'll have to refile that information. It's still amuses me that given the history, they'd try and claim someone ELSE was being shady and unoriginal...

(Though looking at it, it would appear Minecraft did it first shortly after the first Hunger Games film released. Shows what you can do with open moddability and decent dev tools, I suppose.)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info