Season One, Race Event 21: One Week Party

"
Chris wrote:
Sorry for not replying earlier. This prize structure was picked for two reasons:
a) So that it doesn't feel mandatory for people to play the one week race to win the prize uniques. Instead the racers win the points from this race.
b) As a trial. The only way we know what works is to try it out. If you don't like the prize structure, you don't have to play in the event. We'll see the feedback and data and adjust it in the future.

You're still welcome to play in this league even if you don't think you'll win one of the top 500 slots. Maybe you'll see an opportunity to claim a spot with a burst of activity near the end of the week.

Please dont take all the whining negatively, your players like the whole team and its members individually. They whine only because they love the game and they dont like to be expel from an event because its designed for a minority

thx for replying
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
"
Chris wrote:
a) So that it doesn't feel mandatory for people to play the one week race to win the prize uniques. Instead the racers win the points from this race.

This doesn't make sense to me. I'm not sure a single person has yet to have a complaint about top20 getting the unique prize. Its specifically about lack of tangible rewards in currency/points, and the values you chose are insanely low compared to the time investment.

Also, if anything, you have made it mandatory that any serious racer who does do the 1week, has to also do the short races during it to stay competitive.
"
b) As a trial. The only way we know what works is to try it out. If you don't like the prize structure, you don't have to play in the event.

What was closed beta for? You already tried it many times and found a system that people loved for 1week races. Now you are drastically changing it and need to get feedback again?
"
We'll see the feedback and data and adjust it in the future.

This is one of the bigger mistakes you are making, like having an NDA for alpha testing in the year 2013. You already got the feedback, and had the time to make changes. What you're really doing now is ignoring the feedback you already have, while ensuring you will have less later.
"
You're still welcome to play in this league even if you don't think you'll win one of the top 500 slots. Maybe you'll see an opportunity to claim a spot with a burst of activity near the end of the week.

Again, doesn't make sense. If someone has an issue with the prize structure, why on earth would they dedicate so much time for a slight chance they might pop into the top 500 at the end for a whopping 2points?
If we gave large reward points prizes for getting to certain levels then all players who are competing in Season One would feel compelled to get to that level in the one week race for the sake of getting those prizes. It would mean that people's hard work getting to the skill level required to win decent point rewards from the shorter races would be invalidated by slow and steady participation in this league (a week is plenty of time to get to level 60 or whatever the tier would be).

If we gave out small rewards points prizes for specific levels then people would complain that getting to level 60 is too much work for say two points (compared to the shorter duration races). Our goal is not to make people play in a one week event for the sake of it. They should play because they're going to have fun or because they think they can do it better than other players.

The goal of the one week race is to:
a) Provide a place where people who want a fresh league/economy for a week can play. These people don't necessarily care about the season reward points.
b) Provide a way for racers to show their mastery of longer duration events. They have to make tough choices about how much of that one week event they want to give up for smaller events that may win them more (or less, upon death) prizes.

There will be other one week events in the future with much more generous prize structures. That's not appropriate for this particular slot in Season One though.

We are listening hard to the feedback and making changes (for example moving the event times around to be better for Americans and adding one-point thresholds for the shorter races). I'm sorry that we're holding our ground with this race, but we do feel it's going to be a fun event and an important (but not overwhelming) contributor to the results of Season One.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
"
Chris wrote:
If we gave large reward points prizes for getting to certain levels then all players who are competing in Season One would feel compelled to get to that level in the one week race for the sake of getting those prizes. It would mean that people's hard work getting to the skill level required to win decent point rewards from the shorter races would be invalidated by slow and steady participation in this league (a week is plenty of time to get to level 60 or whatever the tier would be).

If we gave out small rewards points prizes for specific levels then people would complain that getting to level 60 is too much work for say two points (compared to the shorter duration races). Our goal is not to make people play in a one week event for the sake of it. They should play because they're going to have fun or because they think they can do it better than other players.

The goal of the one week race is to:
a) Provide a place where people who want a fresh league/economy for a week can play. These people don't necessarily care about the season reward points.
b) Provide a way for racers to show their mastery of longer duration events. They have to make tough choices about how much of that one week event they want to give up for smaller events that may win them more (or less, upon death) prizes.

There will be other one week events in the future with much more generous prize structures. That's not appropriate for this particular slot in Season One though.

We are listening hard to the feedback and making changes (for example moving the event times around to be better for Americans and adding one-point thresholds for the shorter races). I'm sorry that we're holding our ground with this race, but we do feel it's going to be a fun event and an important (but not overwhelming) contributor to the results of Season One.

well im out gl to anyone who does join
Eh. The way I see it, a lot of people are crying foul about this event. It breaks down like this.

-If you are a top competitor/HC nut play this event.
-If you have an alt you have been thinking about rolling, roll him in the event, and tryhard not to die.

I see the appeal of this event. You have to make decisions based on the knowledge that you want your character to survive for a week, and hopefully up to level 60+. Is it a different event than the 1/2/3 hour races? Sure. Do you have to run in it? Nope.

Bottom line...if you don't like the rewards, don't play the event. That is why they are posted ahead of time after all.
"
Chris wrote:

Thanks for the thorough explanation of your thought process behind the rewards for this 1 week HC race. You do make some good points and I can see how it would be frustrating for people who are competing in the overall season to feel they must devote a lot of hours to this specific race or risk missing out on a lot of points.

Also, I'm really happy to hear that we can look forward to future 1 week HC races with bigger prizes! I will keep my fingers crossed that those prizes might also include micro-transaction credit like they did in Closed Beta.

It's good that you put a lot of thought into this and I respect the fact that you are sticking to your guns and doing what you believe is the right thing for the overall season. Here's hoping I can squeeze out a top 20 finish!
Of course a 1-week race is more about fun then prices, seems the obvious thing to me.
I understands GGG point of view, it is only S1.

High rewards with a lvl bracket system would make it feel like a mandatory race for practically all racers.

(But I still hoped for shitty rewards for casual shitty players like myself :P just to motivate me a bit more to join)

1 point
1 point
fail
1 point
1 point
1 point
3 point
fail
1 point
etc.

...end of the season: Ma coral ring! =D
★ IGN: Pinockio_the_Transexual or PM me on forums ★
"
Chris wrote:
Sorry for not replying earlier. This prize structure was picked for two reasons:
b) As a trial. The only way we know what works is to try it out. If you don't like the prize structure, you don't have to play in the event. We'll see the feedback and data and adjust it in the future.

Thank You for reading/listening & the Reply.

I do fully understand the Idea of the Rewards for this Race, but there would be absolutely no Problem with some small Rewards for the Levels (40/50/60/70) with all You said.

I think You should be clear that for a new Player or a Player not knowing how much Time he will be able to invest in this Week Race, the Goal to get to Top 500 is just not as understandable as a Goal to get to Level 50 ... as we not know how many people there will be and how hard Competition will be, but we do know if we possibly will be able to get to 50 with a HC-Char in a Week!
Keep calm, play PoE, drink Tea & listen to Prog!

Exiled.eu ... deutsche PoE-Community mit News, TS3, Guides & vielen netten Leuten :)
Im probably in the mimority, but I like the reward points in the 1 week race.
I will probably do and get zero points, but it doesnt matter. Its just a good moment to start another character, and so I will do.

If I manage to earn some points, its just a plus.
IGN: Gonorreitor
"
Valmar wrote:
Im probably in the mimority, but I like the reward points in the 1 week race.
I will probably do and get zero points, but it doesnt matter. Its just a good moment to start another character, and so I will do.

If I manage to earn some points, its just a plus.

+1
Beta member since 0.9.5
HC

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info