Season One, Race Event 21: One Week Party

"
TehHammer wrote:

A lot of sense of entitlement in this thread.

It's not about entitlement, is't the fact that it's not worth doing at all for ppl who can't play all day if there is no level rewards. I mean why spend alot more time and have a higher chance to die than in a short race and get nothing for the trouble..
Im sorry, but this is getting out of hand. Ive got my own credentials and blah blah blah, but this arguement of casual VS. hardcore seems crazy. The most apparent sentiment is that the rewards for just time trialing yourself, you know like trying to hit 70, are non exsistent. I would have to agree. I think the prize structure should look like this.

First| 80 to 100 points
second-fifth| 50-70 points
sixth-tenth| 40 points
eleventh-twentith| 30 points

Level 70+ 20 points
Level 60+ 10 points

Now, I dont get paid to figure out how a prize structure like this would effect everything about the race, so im sure there is more science to the current rewards then just some guy, like me, making things up. Im not inspired by the prizes nor am I particulary concerned if they change or not. Alot of people just want some kind of reward for dumping 15+ hours in a single race. I dont think that idea is wrong. As far as the people at the top, yeah they are gonna put the most time in so yeah, they deserve the highest reward. Things are likely to change so, lets not turn these forums into a mud slinging match just because we all dont think alike.
social noob
Last edited by nopoda on Mar 1, 2013, 7:45:20 PM
Sorry for not replying earlier. This prize structure was picked for two reasons:
a) So that it doesn't feel mandatory for people to play the one week race to win the prize uniques. Instead the racers win the points from this race.
b) As a trial. The only way we know what works is to try it out. If you don't like the prize structure, you don't have to play in the event. We'll see the feedback and data and adjust it in the future.

You're still welcome to play in this league even if you don't think you'll win one of the top 500 slots. Maybe you'll see an opportunity to claim a spot with a burst of activity near the end of the week.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
"
Chris wrote:
Sorry for not replying earlier. This prize structure was picked for two reasons:
a) So that it doesn't feel mandatory for people to play the one week race to win the prize uniques. Instead the racers win the points from this race.
b) As a trial. The only way we know what works is to try it out. If you don't like the prize structure, you don't have to play in the event. We'll see the feedback and data and adjust it in the future.

You're still welcome to play in this league even if you don't think you'll win one of the top 500 slots. Maybe you'll see an opportunity to claim a spot with a burst of activity near the end of the week.

How can you get real data when 90% people wont participate just by knowing its not worth of their time?

We are not talking about 1-4 hour races to gather data, we are talking about 1 Week
Topkek
Last edited by Laakeri on Mar 1, 2013, 6:13:49 PM
"
TehHammer wrote:

A lot of sense of entitlement in this thread.

0/10
"
Chris wrote:
beep boop

Thanks for responding. The not-making-it-feel-required aspect is actually a pretty good point I hadn't fully considered.

That said (responding generally now), I still think some flat level rewards would be good. And no, that's not "entitlement"... entitlement would be you get points for just playing in the race. If you die, you don't get anything, ever. So there's that. Getting to 70 in HC is not trivial. A pat-on-the-back reward for doing so in the race is perfectly reasonable, without making the race feel required. It would still be horrible pts/hr return compared to the short ones, and there would certainly be far fewer people making it to the first reward tier than in the short races.

I'll be interested to see what sort of data you get from this race, and how it effects the long races in the future. Keep up posted!
Last edited by nepharis on Mar 1, 2013, 6:45:00 PM
"

Thanks for the reply, so I agree with a) races should not feel mandatory to full fill the reward system's "progress bar".

So maybe with the system you are currently trial-implementing and the publics opinion on it in this thread; it highlights the bigger problem --> The reward system sucks ? Because if you apply to to 1-week races.. they feel.. dull on the reward side no matter how you look at it.
I agree the one week race shouldn't feel mandatory but why make it feel useless to 98% of the player base? The time spent to reward ratio is ridiculous when comparing the one week to the one hour races.
"
Chris wrote:

I agree it should't be mandatory, the thing is that if i do the short races during the week i'd get to do 2*3hours, 2*2hours, 2*1hours and 1 4 hour race. That would easily give me 28 points. So the way i see it it's mandatory to skip the one week.
"
Chris wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to reply, Chris.

But you didn't mention anything about the micro-transaction credit that was part of the prizes during Closed Beta. I really liked those and felt like it was a nice gesture to offer a bit of credit to the winners, because it acknowledges the "free-to-play" people without costing GGG anything. (the items in the shop are digital afterall) To me, it made GGG appear generous and not like all the other greedy companies out there.

Also, how would having a few "level threshold" tiers make the race feel mandatory? People could race up to lvl 60 (no small feat considering how hard you made Act3) and have at least something to show for it. Those threshold rewards were pretty important for making it NOT feel mandatory to spend 16 hours a day racing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info