Season One, Race Event 21: One Week Party

"
p0t wrote:
Imagine a marathon were 1000 runners are about to race. 100 of them get together and approach the people sponsoring the race and one guy says " Hey it's not fair, the same guys always win. All they do is train and have the best teams." Then another guy says "I have a job, and a life I can't even compete in the full race. This isn't fair because I competed in a shorter race, please change the race to be fair to all." Then a few people say "Other races were shorter with better prizes why should I even race, please change your race to be as equally profitable to all people, no matter how much time they have to invest."

I don't enter javelin toss competitions because its not in my range of things I can accomplish in my life, with the time and skills I have. I don't try to change the javelin toss competitions rules to accommodate my life, that's silly.

In response to above, I care because when a game developer starts catering to the demands of the "fair" and "easy for all" soap boxers the game quality suffers. If you need rewards for playing a game(or competing), then you're doing it wrong.

This a million times over. Because people can't compete at the highest level they want to be catered to and given similar rewards. This isn't how life works unfortunately and a lot of the posts in this thread reek of entitlement. What happened to just playing a game you enjoy for fun? and you are getting loot as a reward in the process. That is what this game is all about.

*EDIT* It's not like the new demi (or old demi for that matter) is anything special anyway. It's got a hardly noticeable model, looks bad imo and does nothing like changing character size. To me it's pretty worthless other than what I would eventually trade it for.
@MaxEntitlement
Last edited by bobzebrick on Mar 1, 2013, 2:36:38 PM
"
bobzebrick wrote:
"
p0t wrote:
Imagine a marathon were 1000 runners are about to race. 100 of them get together and approach the people sponsoring the race and one guy says " Hey it's not fair, the same guys always win. All they do is train and have the best teams." Then another guy says "I have a job, and a life I can't even compete in the full race. This isn't fair because I competed in a shorter race, please change the race to be fair to all." Then a few people say "Other races were shorter with better prizes why should I even race, please change your race to be as equally profitable to all people, no matter how much time they have to invest."

I don't enter javelin toss competitions because its not in my range of things I can accomplish in my life, with the time and skills I have. I don't try to change the javelin toss competitions rules to accommodate my life, that's silly.

In response to above, I care because when a game developer starts catering to the demands of the "fair" and "easy for all" soap boxers the game quality suffers. If you need rewards for playing a game(or competing), then you're doing it wrong.

This a million times over. Because people can't compete at the highest level they want to be catered to and given similar rewards. This isn't how life works unfortunately and a lot of the posts in this thread reek of entitlement. What happened to just playing a game you enjoy for fun? and you are getting loot as a reward in the process. That is what this game is all about.

*EDIT* It's not like the new demi (or old demi for that matter) is anything special anyway. It's got a hardly noticeable model, looks bad imo and does nothing like changing character size. To me it's pretty worthless other than what I would eventually trade it for.

I CAN compete at the highest level. I've placed 9th in a 1 week HC race, and 18th in a 2 week HC race. At one point, I was in 2nd place during a 1 week HC race. All while playing solo 95% of the time, and often as a Duelist.

I still think the prizes/reward points are terrible.
"
bobzebrick wrote:
"
p0t wrote:
*snip*

- Real life competitors do it based on the rewards they get. Its not even possible for them to do it if money isn't involved. In a video game, part of the reward is the items/currency/points/etc.
- Nobody has remotely suggested crippling the hardcore players from getting the best rewards, or that they should get similar rewards as them. They are suggesting that everyone else gets nothing, or close to, and thus its not worth it. Also that the time requirement/rewards is imbalanced from the short races.
- As for the argument that the game is all about just doing it for the fun: its automatically invalid based on the fact that the developers specifically designed the races around giving various kinds of rewards. If you are so against that, shouldn't you be boycotting the races yourself?
- The Demi's are worth a tun of currency. They will also build a set eventually. Hardly worthless.

Aside from all that, using the word "entitlement" on anyone who has an issue with something basically proves your a blind fanboy. Not a single person in this thread is entitled in any way shape or form. We are simply voicing our opinions on official choices, which is part of what the forums are designed for.
Last edited by Magnicon on Mar 1, 2013, 3:19:40 PM
This race is so meaningless. Its like its only for the super hardcore ppl that have no life and want to spend 18 hours on and 4 sleeping just to win this. I would like to vote for this race to be removed or the rewards changed. I had planned to do this race but after taking a look at the rewards I am not even going to bother.
"
"
bobzebrick wrote:
"
p0t wrote:
*snip*

- Real life competitors do it based on the rewards they get. Its not even possible for them to do it if money isn't involved. In a video game, part of the reward is the items/currency/points/etc.
- Nobody has remotely suggested crippling the hardcore players from getting the best rewards, or that they should get similar rewards as them. They are suggesting that everyone else gets nothing, or close to, and thus its not worth it.
- As for the argument that the game is all about just doing it for the fun: its automatically invalid based on the fact that the developers specifically designed the races around giving various kinds of rewards. If you are so against that, shouldn't you be boycotting the races yourself?
- The Demi's are worth a tun of currency. They will also build a set eventually. Hardly worthless.

Aside from all that, using the word "entitlement" on anyone who has an issue with something basically proves your a blind fanboy. Not a single person in this thread is entitled in any way shape or form. We are simply voicing our opinions on official choices, which is part of what the forums are designed for.

I am by no means a fanboy, and if you need to be rewarded and given a pat on the back every time you play a game then go to WoW or Diablo or the 10's of other games catered at people like you. This is exactly what is wrong with modern gaming.
@MaxEntitlement
Last edited by bobzebrick on Mar 1, 2013, 3:20:20 PM
"
bobzebrick wrote:
"
p0t wrote:

This seems to be over your head and under your feet.

You completely dont understand what the argument is here.

And I'm not going to bother typing it again
"
bobzebrick wrote:
I am by no means a fanboy, and if you need to be rewarded and given a pat on the back every time you play a game then go to WoW or Diablo or the 10's of other games catered at people like you. This is exactly what is wrong with modern gaming.

I don't have to go to another game since GGG has designed this game to do just that. You seem to be ignoring that fact. The races are specifically designed to pat people on the back and give them rewards. Its a shame you think GGG is part of the problem of modern gaming.
"
bobzebrick wrote:

...if you need to be rewarded and given a pat on the back every time you play a game then go to WoW or Diablo or the 10's of other games catered at people like you. This is exactly what is wrong with modern gaming.

I'm a Oldschool-Gamer too and not a Fan of the 'modern Gaming' You seem to have in Mind here, but I think there are many People in here that are not complaining about the Rewards in a whining Way and do not want to quit PoE or not attend the Race ... they just want to discuss the Reward System that especially for this Race is not very good.

I love the Game and will do the Race without thinking about the Rewards, but I will say my Opinion to the Structure of the Rewards with this Race, aiming at the Goal to make the Game, the Season, the Race better, more rewarding and Fun for all Kinds of Players of our Community.
Within that Mind I really think that some small Rewards for Levels or certain Quests/Bosses would be a good Thing, just make it more rewarding and will do no Harm to the System.
Keep calm, play PoE, drink Tea & listen to Prog!

Exiled.eu ... deutsche PoE-Community mit News, TS3, Guides & vielen netten Leuten :)
Last edited by Ezekiel_ on Mar 1, 2013, 4:09:03 PM
I might be mathematically impaired
Spoiler
but i dont see the point of running 1h hour and get 5 points and having a 1week race, have to spent 30-40 hours to have the same damn 5pts...
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
Last edited by Sexcalibure on Mar 1, 2013, 4:13:54 PM
Um, why do people think that participating in the 1 week race (and being competitive) prevents you from racing in the smaller races. The top players in the 1 week will almost certainly participate in several of the other shorter races. If they can do it with success, you can too, assuming you have the time and skill.

A lot of sense of entitlement in this thread.
How Fusings Work: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/38585/page/3#p1451934

IGN: TheHammer

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info