[3.0] Magma Orb by Paige | Videos | Uber Atziri/Guardians/Shaper Down | Leveling Guide | Budget

This looks fun - do you have a leveling path for skills, etc?
Last edited by Macdory on Aug 24, 2017, 4:13:08 PM
I would love some leveling gear suggestion.

Do we straight level up with magma orb?
"
Redshirtt wrote:
Hey! I swapped from dp to this build as I 6led my pledge and didnt like the playstyle of staff dark pact. Had my eye on MO for ages.

I assume you used vulnerability with a different gem set up?

It seems curses are necessary to really scale up the damage. What are you thoughts on which curses, (ele weak/flam/proj weak) to utilize? Duel curse worth the points or an item slot?

How important is anger? What are your thoughts on heralds? Possibly with the new Harbringer helm?

Love the guide btw. Its a fun skill. Its nice to have a more active playstyle.

Best Lab enchants for gloves and helm?

Thanks Paige!

Hello, that's awesome you decided to try out the build.

Sorry for the slow reply I was at a work and I didn't want to give you incorrect information.

The Vuln curse on hit gloves were just what I had laying around, Vuln does nothing for the build. Ideally you'd be looking for Temp Chains on hit or Elemental Weakness.

Projectile Weakness is pretty much the best curse for any build which uses an attack that is projectile based, in terms of raw damage output. Dual curse could work out well but it's gonna depend on how you manage to get the additional curse, and how do you actually plan on cursing. In reality I could see Proj Weakness on Blasphemy, dropping Anger, and possibly using curse on hit corrupt gloves with Temp Chains or Ele Weakness, but I haven't thoroughly looked to see if it's worth going double curse.

Anger is not important actually, I'm probably going to change the guide today and suggest running Blasphemy + Proj Weakness instead, it'll reserve less mana and could possibly make MoM another layer of defense for us.

The only important enchant is for the helmet, "Magma Orb Chains an Additional 2 times".

I forgot to talk about the helmet, I'm not a fan of it. Herald of Ice could be decent if you aren't running Xoph's Blood, but Proj Weakness is gonna be king.
“No matter where you are in life, no matter what you’ve contributed to creating, no matter what’s happening, you are always doing the best you can with the understanding and awareness and knowledge that you have.”

www.twitch.tv/ohhpaigey
Last edited by OhhPaigey on Aug 24, 2017, 5:31:51 PM
lvling is a pain... Like you wanted to use magmaorb but cant cause witch area is THAT far.
Uber Atziri down.
“No matter where you are in life, no matter what you’ve contributed to creating, no matter what’s happening, you are always doing the best you can with the understanding and awareness and knowledge that you have.”

www.twitch.tv/ohhpaigey
"
Elementalist could do very well with this build I'm thinking, you probably wouldn't want to go all the way to Marauder start though. Probably just far enough down to pick up the life nodes at Constitution.

You'd also need to figure out a way to Life leech and possibly mana leech, that's the tricky part when it comes to Witch.

Ive been playing a Magma Orb Elementalist (MoM) and I was surprised by the power of this skill considering the fact that virtually nobody is talking about it. The threshold gem and AoE buff that the skill received in 2.6 made it really solid.

I've just been running without life leech. You won't need mana leech with MoM because you'll have plenty of regen, and life leech I just kinda live without. Guess it would be nice but there's not many ways to get it, and the freedom from Vaal Pact makes the build much more flexible. You don't need leech so badly as elementalist since reflect isn't much of a concern.

I'm really liking Hrimnor's Resolve in this build. Decent life, a 30-40% increased fire damage and freeze/chill immune seems like a solid piece. Nice chunk of armor on it as well, and I like maintaining ~4k armor so trash mobs don't stun me like they can on armorless builds.

One thing I noticed is that with enough AoE radius, you can reliably double-hit targets. I've actually been running Inc AoE because it doubles as clear speed and single-target damage. Between that and Spell Echo, each cast often hits four times.

Are you sure Onslaught is worth it? It's just 25% cast speed and doesn't work so well on bosses. I guess it's the only really useful green gem to swap in for Slower Proj, but it seems like such a weak support that it almost makes me question the decision to run a green socket.

For proccing Elemental Overload, I'm really liking Orb of Storms + Inc. Crit + Arcane Surge + Inc. Duration. It's like an all-in-one DPS boost that's fire and forget, doesn't require you to devote a flask to proccing EO, and for witches it also triggers the fire pen from Mastermind of Discord. The Arcane Surge needs to stay level 8 to trigger on a single cast, but it's still good at 8.
Last edited by engqvist85 on Aug 24, 2017, 9:51:26 PM
"
engqvist85 wrote:
"
Elementalist could do very well with this build I'm thinking, you probably wouldn't want to go all the way to Marauder start though. Probably just far enough down to pick up the life nodes at Constitution.

You'd also need to figure out a way to Life leech and possibly mana leech, that's the tricky part when it comes to Witch.

Ive been playing a Magma Orb Elementalist (MoM) and I was surprised by the power of this skill considering the fact that virtually nobody is talking about it. The threshold gem and AoE buff that the skill received in 2.6 made it really solid.

I've just been running without life leech. You won't need mana leech with MoM because you'll have plenty of regen, and life leech I just kinda live without. Guess it would be nice but there's not many ways to get it, and the freedom from Vaal Pact makes the build much more flexible. You don't need leech so badly as elementalist since reflect isn't much of a concern.

I'm really liking Hrimnor's Resolve in this build. Decent life, a 30-40% increased fire damage and freeze/chill immune seems like a solid piece. Nice chunk of armor on it as well, and I like maintaining ~4k armor so trash mobs don't stun me like they can on armorless builds.

One thing I noticed is that with enough AoE radius, you can reliably double-hit targets. I've actually been running Inc AoE because it doubles as clear speed and single-target damage. Between that and Spell Echo, each cast often hits four times.

Are you sure Onslaught is worth it? It's just 25% cast speed and doesn't work so well on bosses. I guess it's the only really useful green gem to swap in for Slower Proj, but it seems like such a weak support that it almost makes me question the decision to run a green socket.

Yeah the skill does have a shotgun mechanic (it's the fire damage AoE that can hit the same target multiple times iirc).

Onslaught increases movement speed too, with Onslaught active I'm at like 110% movement speed with Quicksilver active, 50% without any buffs.

Onslaught is worth it for the simple fact you're "controlling" the orbs in a fashion that allows you to "shotgun" them better, and more times. Without Slower Projectiles it's easy for orbs to hit only once or completely miss the target.

Also for bosses I've been running Conc Effect in place of Chance to Ignite.

I was running GMP until I purchased a Dying Sun flask, you can also use Pierce for the "more Projectile Damage".

www.twitch.tv/ohhpaigey
Last edited by OhhPaigey on Aug 24, 2017, 9:53:08 PM
"
Balantakos wrote:
I would love some leveling gear suggestion.

Do we straight level up with magma orb?

I will work on a leveling section tomorrow after work.

I'm probably going to recommend using Firestorm because I think it's just more efficient for leveling. Magma Orb doesn't really get top tier until you start getting extra chains for it.

www.twitch.tv/ohhpaigey
Last edited by OhhPaigey on Aug 24, 2017, 9:55:58 PM
"
Macdory wrote:
This looks fun - do you have a leveling path for skills, etc?

Thanks!

I'll have one up tomorrow.

www.twitch.tv/ohhpaigey
I was running Conc Effect for a while as well but it basically negates the shotgun effect. I'm not sure where the sweet spot is for reliable shotgunning, but I wasn't getting it with +85% radius (without Inc AoE), and Inc AoE did the trick. I suspect it's around 120%. I ran with Slower Proj for a while but the slowness felt really shitty when you're not facetanking.

I move with Lightning Warp so movement speed hasn't been a big consideration. It triggers my 25% fire pen from elementalist so I don't have to waste time casting Orb of Storms on trash packs.

Do you go berserker purely for the life leech? Is it worth all the other stuff you lose? Elementalist's combined bonuses give a considerably bigger DPS boost than the 40% more from berserker, and it's a much better place to start in the tree. Lets you take dual curse and stuff like that.

I haven't really been missing life leech. If you still need it, I actually suspect that the elementalist damage bonuses stack up to surpass berserker by such an amount that you could run a Life Leech gem and still come out ahead. I added up the ascendancy bonuses and arrived at this:

BERSERKER
40% more damage
50% increased damage if savage hit taken recently
1-3% leech
10% more damage taken

ELEMENTALIST
70%ish increased damage from LotP (40% + double fire golem buff)
40% increased damage & 8% cast speed from small ascendancy nodes
40% increased damage if taking fire damage
100% increased damage, 4/10 uptime
12% cast speed (double lightning golem buff)
25% AoE, 4/10 uptime
25% fire pen
50% reduced reflect damage
Last edited by engqvist85 on Aug 24, 2017, 10:51:44 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info