Spectal Throw is not in line with melee

"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
And Flicker Strike can hardly be considered true melee ability, because in fact, it allows you to attack from range, too (similar to ranged skills).

would say so, its not real melee its rather a movement skill (that suprisingly does insane dmg)
"Path of nurfs" - LVL 100 + LVL 100 + LVL 100 ENDGAME REAVER
"1.3.0 Path of nurfs 3. expansion"
Shops: 1031762,774343,883462,371756,1091096,1099789,1260674
Reaver Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/velo1337/videos
What the hell ... Flicker Strike does put you in danger and is making desync worse .... it just has nothing to do with Spectral Throw ....
And I'm not even talking about investment here!

"
Charan wrote:

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I want to reply seriously, but...really? REALLY?

I don't think that they are actually trolling .... t_t
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Jun 16, 2014, 4:02:25 AM
If flicker strike did not need the frenzy charges,so it could fuction in parties as in solo play,then yeah it would have been as OP as spectral throw.However.....
Also i do think it's melee,you might be able to teleport to monsters,bt you are very much getting hit while you are doing it,so it does have the weakneses of melee(you are not getting hit as much as if you are playing double strike of course,but this is countered by it's somewhat uncontrolable nature)
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
"
StormHunter wrote:
lol 19 sites thread about that melee is crap but GGG makes them worser every patch ( i got 2 melee marauders 80+ and they get really worser every patch)

Well melee doesn't really get worse, it's like everything else gets better and melee stays right where it is.

BTW WTF is it now with Flicker Strike, that is again totally offtopic?!
offtopic
"
LSN wrote:
I stronlgy suggest (repeatedly) to let LMP/GMP have a crit chance/multiplier or even accuracy debuff just the same way as it has a debuff for pure damage to take crit builds more into account with this. Then, spells could be rebuffed again too and LMP/GMP would not be the must use gem for ranged attacks/spells that it is now anymore.
You would break some bow skills to the ground with such a change, mainly ice shot and lightning arrow.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
Last edited by Panini_aux_olives on Jun 16, 2014, 6:03:23 PM
Startkabels, I think you're going to have to consider that this isn't a straightforward case of *just* discussing one angle of a larger argument. While I admire the attempt to keep it all on-topic and focused, the issue at hand (one skill not being in line with melee) is just one facet of the locked box that is melee vs ranged.

This is why people will bring up other skills, discuss relative 'power levels' of each and the like. We understand things, not just in PoE but life in general, by their relations to other things. Comparison and contrast is essential to grasping the significance of anything. Spectral Throw does not exist in a void; it's one of many skills, and all things being equal, it's impossible to discuss Spectral Throw without examining its place in the spectrum of ranged vs melee, that is to say: other skills.

To deny those angles, even though they are relevant, is to potentially shut out solutions to your issue. Unless your only solution is 'remove Spectral Throw', in which case, what exactly is there left to discuss?
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jun 16, 2014, 7:58:16 PM
Spectral throw needed to be more weapon specific. Something as simple as only working with swords/axes would mean it wouldn't dominate most melee builds. With the current state of the game many builds get outright better if they use spectral throw.

The main benefit of ranged builds is that they don't have to walk to enemies before hitting them. This is a huge point that is often missed. I tried making a reave character but found that switching it to a spectral throw character both increased my actual DPS time(did not have to walk to enemies) and my safety(non melee).
Last edited by kasub on Jun 16, 2014, 8:59:03 PM
I'm still saying CoCS should be weapon-specific, rather than Spectral Throw. This in turn would drastically reduce the abuse of Spectral Throw as a CoCS catalyst.

Given that Spectral Throw isn't an actual 'throw', it probably doesn't need to be restricted by weapon type; sure, throwing a staff is pretty stupid, but a spectral representation thereof? That's fine, inasmuch as anything about Spectral Throw is fine.

I suppose my bias is that I'm just not sure how popular Spectral Throw would be without CoCS backing it. Of course, that doesn't bring it 'in line' with melee, but it certainly reduces its go-to potential for utter cheese.

Keep in mind it's already had its damage reduced once, and I don't really know how much further down it can go, or if it should. And I'm not convinced GGG are going to change its basic functionality -- their idea of buff/nerf tends to be numerical rather than mechanical.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
it would actually make some sense to make the skill a blue gem with intel/str requirements and then limit it to staffs and elemental scepters.

As in magically creating the spectral version of the weapon you are holding and forcing it outwards (like more of a caster's ability).

This would buff the use of staffs and elemental maces, god knows they could use that.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Jun 16, 2014, 9:39:59 PM
"
I'm still saying CoCS should be weapon-specific, rather than Spectral Throw. This in turn would drastically reduce the abuse of Spectral Throw as a CoCS catalyst.

By CoCS do you mean cast on critical strikes? If so I don't think that's a big deal at all. ST is not even the best skill for CoC builds and CoC builds themselves are not in the overpowered territory.

"
Keep in mind it's already had its damage reduced once

It got reduced at low levels. At high levels it got a buff to do 8.3% more on each hit(60% effectiveness to 65%).
Last edited by kasub on Jun 16, 2014, 9:50:29 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info