1.3 The Community's Molten Strike, Face Melting Build!! 1h+shield and 2h variants available

@Tyraziell:

Thanks, I appreciate that. :) I wrote the below before I saw your post, but I think we are thinking along similar lines. If anyone else wants to see me put together a separate Ranger thread in the next few days (rather than simply stopping talking about it in the short term) given the below, PM me. If I get, say, 5 people, I'll see what I can do. (And I'll try to cut down on the parentheticals.)

@timbo1959:

I think I'm taking it in the way you meant it. I'm just not sure it makes sense for me to make a thread yet. There's too much I don't know about how the build will play at endgame and I have a tendency to get bored and abandon characters before I really hammer out choices like which auras to run, whether or not to keep IR, how much to favor defense vs. damage, etc. I'm also kind of a slow leveller. I'm only level 58 right now on this character and I can't say how long it will take. My concern is that I don't want to have new players start playing the build and then me not follow through on with late-game advice, but I suppose I could just direct them here in that case. lol

I don't agree that there's a substantial difference between Marauder and Ranger MS builds though as they will look extremely similar by endgame. The Marauder version of the Ranger build I posted would have maybe 15% different nodes tops, most of which would be health + armor vs. health + evasion straight out of the gate. Both face the same questions, such as which two of four possible areas to focus on to pick up health / block nodes / resists and which paths to take regarding the life wheel, the one below Marauder, and over / under Duelist. I think all of my points have been relevant when you consider that the passive tree has just changed dramatically.

It's more reasonable that the difference is less class choice and more about the path I chose which differs from the legacy build. However, as you noted, that build is not terribly relevant to the current discussion as the passive tree changed so much. I'm not sure it's better to have 4*3 cluster choices = 12 different threads focusing on these relatively small variations which all end up with very similar stats. Certainly not * 3 classes = 36.

However, none of that is really material since it's become a disruption to the thread, as evidenced by this being the fifth post about it. :) So don't get me wrong, I'm going to refrain from posting any more Ranger trees or substantially different passive paths from the current beta build here as I don't want to continue derailing what is a meaty and helpful discussion.
A new variation for thought: I want approval before updating.

We lose 4% HP and 2% Block to gain a bit more damage and the very OP life flask nodes. The large boost in flask recovery is extremely powerful. Insta-heal flasks will begin to give you full heals with every use rather then a third or fourth of your HP bar. Heal over time flasks will be able to counter a significant amount more damage as well. This should be looked as 'mitigation through over healing'.

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEAxthYY_ZIjM89_F8_7w4nL-Of-6qgtPMG5FF7jMEEpzCezVW1GJFQRxQgducirzhT0iEn7Rku2WFXDYcZbBb8S3zZcqmsqg4Uy0MZ6cAaWfOQVRo4p4RmnjboAecyfjpSGlVko-7ZBjl5wNwdm4OE72Ehw4ZeE6yv55EppU4qtkFDMRvIW6-QCt0NSn2Hdmeg_MUUdaTC3sEU9mvZhjtgS3rvdO0FLa-NpDnQgUfiIuIVICzpV-LsOHflPeK309fLo4ruDlb6G61I7k2SI_aNfdE2vJ-krA==
Last edited by Kartikdon on Aug 28, 2014, 8:15:19 PM
As someone who frequently visits this thread I enjoy both sides. Going over the different builds posted I actually switched from my Marauder to a Ranger to get the different start.

I am a follower of Tanis0 I would not want you to stop posting. It would be nice to have even a small post in the ranger section. This can go over the different ranger builds you had and benefits of each one. Even something saying in you opinion what is the stronger ranger MS build.

I still don't know what ranger build I should go. Like every newbie I am just looking for a strong build.

It would be really interested in at least a post comparing the Marauder vs Ranger. (Maybe this could be on the front page?) Why one would choose one or the other. What are the gains and losses, which is spread out though this thread and put it in one place.

Just wanted to put in my 2cents as a follower of Tanis0 and this thread in general.

@Kry.
Okay, while it's nice to see you took on board what I mentioned earlier, do you think the step away from that 25% increased max. life/+30 to life/1% life reg. is perhaps a little too radical a step? In return for 15% max. life and boosts on the flasks? I haven't done the math, but just a point worth thinking about, especially as a lot of people only run one or maybe two Life flasks. I've thought about other alternatives along the same lines myself - especially if I give up AOF at some point - but I just kept coming back to the fact that the Discipline and Training nodes were hard to top.

One small point. If you're going to take that step away from those nodes, you might as well dump the remaining nodes you have on Catalyze (plus the strength node used to get there) and spend the passives on Force of Nature, in that sharp corner towards Point Blank. Gives you 34% WED versus 32%.

Last edited by timbo1959 on Aug 28, 2014, 8:43:01 PM
I have no problem posting a ranger section if Tanis does not want to create an new guide.

As far as the difference goes just pull them up on PoE Builder and compare the two overall stats. You will find marauder has higher base life, life% and life regen. Tanis will have more armour. Both have the same block. Tanis has higher physical damage but the marauder has a significant more amount of elemental damage. The new variant (not post on main) takes advantage of all the HP flask nodes for massive heals from flask usage. Tanis has removed the movement penalty and more attack speed. Marauder rushes resolute techniques very early on (better for sustain) where the ranger has access to PB (better for damage) very early. Ranger wont get RT till much later in the game. Marauder will be able to have both RT + PB much sooner then the ranger version. In the end honestly its more about what stats you favor. Marauder has always been the staple build as it just progresses very evenly where ranger builds as a whole have always had to stretch a bit before filling out when going towards marauder sections.
Hey Timbo good points. Can you PM me a tree w/ the changes mentioned? It would be much easier for me to examine.
Last edited by Kartikdon on Aug 28, 2014, 8:44:38 PM
Thanks Timbo.

Your are right, for the point investment its better to grab Force of Nature.

In regards to the moving from templar to the flask nodes as being to great of a step, definitely not. From testing on other build projects the flask nodes are invaluable and will save many more live then the small gain from the Templar section. Sure people may run 2 flasks but in essence each flask will be worth two to three times as much with the flask nodes providing a much greater amount of healing.

I would not give up AoF since, with specific gear, you will be able to pump out a lot more damage then a 50/50 version ever will. This is because a Doryani's invitation + catalyst allows you to drop the LL gem to slot in damage. Before the gear though, there is really no point to AoF.
@redmatrix:

Thanks, and I'm glad it helped you. I'm not opposed to a separate thread, I'm just still a noob in some ways and don't want to steer people wrong. I am leaning toward starting a thread to discuss the specific merits of the various options though.

@timbo1959:

Regarding the flask nodes, I haven't been able to test it yet but my thought has been they should allow you to run more health flasks. IE, you don't have to run flasks for random damage types unless you are preparing for a specific boss or map since you can pop a long-timer health pot and gain a ton of extra health regen. It should work so long as your health doesn't cap in the mean-time, assuming that's a reasonable proposition. If not, several instant-heal flasks should be pretty slick too.

@Kartikdon:

If you can spare three nodes here, Aspect of the Panther is pretty strong for 14% attack speed, 16% physical damage + a little life and bonus movement speed. You could drop the 15% melee physical bonus at the Marauder start (doesn't apply to projectiles anyway), the 5% health node past Herbalism and either the health flask node by Marauder (since it's only 15% and you already have +80% without it) or a 6% health node by Athleticism. I'm not sure whether or not that's better, but it's worth considering, though I'd drop the melee physical either way myself.
@Kry
The point about AOF is purely hypothetical at this point - unlike others I have held on to it because it renders a considerable amount of damage where my build is concerned.

Another point you may care to consider regarding your use of Profane Chemistry, at least as an alternative that more closely resembles your former approach with Discipline and Training as a direct comparison, is to use the 6 nodes you've reallocated to instead making your way up through Master of the Arena and the three adjacent life nodes, which, pound for pound, are amongst the most productive left in the new patch (20% from just three nodes – I almost wonder at times if they overlooked them). It's a horses for courses thing, but as an alternative you get, aside from that 20% life, 3% Attack Speed, 1% Life regeneration, 10% Physical Damage, and 8% Melee Physical Damage. A nice balance of defense and attack. But again, it’s a matter of preference.

I have a mildly different layout to yours that not only incorporates those changes I suggested earlier, and which you included in your own, but already has those nodes mentioned above. It was an easy choice for me though, as I had incorporated the popular loop from Master of the Arena to Leather and Steel, so it was somewhat of a no-brainer to grab those precious life nodes nearby.

@Tanis.
Your point earlier about being a slow leveler is really no big deal. It largely depends on what you're doing with your time of course, as I'm sure you know. Had I made the effort I'd probably be sitting somewhere around level 95 with my current build, instead of which I've sat on level 80 for 2 - 3 months doing endless Dom runs, building up gear and currency, and fine-tuning my selling skills! Boring but necessary.
Last edited by timbo1959 on Aug 28, 2014, 10:40:09 PM
"
Kartikdon wrote:
"
skopetski wrote:
Using a one-hander + shield. Resistances are capped (76 fire 75 cold 75 lightning) 61% block, 31% spellblock. Running hatred + herald of ash + tempest shield.
[/spoiler]

Hey Skopetski,

First I will recommend using grace since you have IR. Since you have AoF I suggest dropping Hatred (since its 12.5% vs HoA 15% and overkill burn) for grace until you have enough reduced mana from a quality gem or passives to run all 4 auras. This will boost flat mitigation to physical damage tremendously. This is probably your biggest problem.

I would not pay the prices now but when the costs drops for a Fire Doryani's Invitation grab that and if we can fix your sustain problems you should be able to drop your LL gem for something like fire pen.

Finally start filling out more of those life nodes you do not have completed. HP + Grace should solve your issues.

Message me with how the changes work out for you.

Hey,

Dropped Hatred for Determination. Still spiking alot though. Whats a good amount of armor you need before running maps? I feel like I still need alot more. And how much health should I aim fore before hitting maps?

What would you farm in my condition? Which area for levels/drops?

Thanks!
Last edited by skopetski on Aug 29, 2014, 6:42:51 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info