1.3 The Community's Molten Strike, Face Melting Build!! 1h+shield and 2h variants available

@timbo1959:

I think it's also worth taking if you want to go above the Duelist area rather than under it, as I do on my Ranger build. IE, I pick up Herbalism / Weapon Artistry / PI in addition to Sanctuary et. al., but I skip Tetsudo, Water Dancing, etc.

Note, I also skip Iron Grip to save 5 points which I spend on Bonebreaker, giving up 40 strength + 70ish% physical damage for projectiles only in order to gain 87% physical damage for everything (assuming you use maces). I'll save 1 more strength node if I drop Berserking, which I am considering depending on how damage vs. survivability feels at high levels. The tradeoff is still reasonable though even if I still wanted to pick up Iron Grip for some reason.

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgIAr-ubjQBeGY7tgwgu037-un11G61I7niuPeK309fLo4pNkiP2VvruDhR1pMJ82XKprKpZ82aewBoaOKeEkFV35Vfi7DgyiQJxBLMUTfAftPmiAFFgT32AVn7i-tLjajbpDhTLQxnp3sE1krXy2L3p1Qz3Xh-plTwtxq63Pv4KqW4yCXJsbEbdDfzFLOk_JypNFSBKyG6qpDnQgUfiIuLiLAkz0TZsFvxLJ-2HGcT2kArvfIM4Sn2HdmegnsUhNGDEtC9R5q-NW68ppU4qlWZMYASxX8oKm3jr

For anyone following my Ranger builds in this thread, this is a slightly updated version. It picks up 9% increased attack speed and +6% increased movement speed from Quick Step in exchange for two 4% life + 4% Chaos Resist nodes, and it saves a node via slightly more efficient pathing to plated defense.
Hi! Could someone please explain why The Three Dragons isn't useful for this build after the 1.2 patch? I can't really grasp the changes :)
"
Hi! Could someone please explain why The Three Dragons isn't useful for this build after the 1.2 patch? I can't really grasp the changes :)

Simple. Way up the skill tree in the top left-hand corner, around where Wand Elemental Notable is now, was a cluster of nodes that granted extra shock, which tied in perfectly with Three Dragons. That cluster, called Static Blows, has now been moved over to the other side of the tree, thus making the three dragon's concept obsolete as far as this build is concerned.

People have chosen different routes since. Some have gone with suitable rares, others have gone for specific Uniques that suits their tweaks/wholesale changes to the build. Personally I switched over to an Alpha's Howl some time before the patch came out.
Last edited by timbo1959 on Aug 28, 2014, 3:07:06 PM
Using a one-hander + shield. Resistances are capped (76 fire 75 cold 75 lightning) 61% block, 31% spellblock. Running hatred + herald of ash + tempest shield.

Gear:
Spoiler

Flasks:
Spoiler

Passive tree:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAecCcQSzFE0UdRT2GNsZLho4GlUbyCKvJy8n7SmlMn4yiTboNuk4UzpSPfxDMU4qT31RYFW1Vw1X4lhjWfNbr14TXz9hIWSjZp5r2WwWcql07Xbnd-V7jHzZfuKAVoM4hO-GO4cZjM-QCpBVm4OezaC0ogCkwqcwp4Ssqqyvr420-bZBwBrBBMOGxtjSIdlh3Q3jauOf5FHnkew47w7vfPAf8wb2SPrS-6r8Sw==
Last edited by skopetski on Aug 28, 2014, 3:44:37 PM
"
tanis0 wrote:
For anyone following my Ranger builds in this thread

Not a criticism, just an obvious point - wouldn't you be better off pursuing your Ranger thread in the appropriate forum where others can find it more readily? Seems like you're missing out on your target audience by making your points in a thread devoted to a marauder build. I had a look at your build, and while interesting, it would cost someone with a marauder build at least a few passives to try and link in to it, so i don't know how viable it would be as a hybrid idea.

That aside, I personally have chosen BoneBreaker as well to date, because when it comes to bang for buck, the five nodes yield a pretty impressive 87% increase in pure damage, but as passives become more and more precious I'm beginning to wonder if a compromise might not be needed that gives a better balance.
Last edited by timbo1959 on Aug 28, 2014, 4:01:22 PM
"
skopetski wrote:
Using a one-hander + shield. Resistances are capped (76 fire 75 cold 75 lightning) 61% block, 31% spellblock. Running hatred + herald of ash + tempest shield.
[/spoiler]

Hey Skopetski,

First I will recommend using grace since you have IR. Since you have AoF I suggest dropping Hatred (since its 12.5% vs HoA 15% and overkill burn) for grace until you have enough reduced mana from a quality gem or passives to run all 4 auras. This will boost flat mitigation to physical damage tremendously. This is probably your biggest problem.

I would not pay the prices now but when the costs drops for a Fire Doryani's Invitation grab that and if we can fix your sustain problems you should be able to drop your LL gem for something like fire pen.

Finally start filling out more of those life nodes you do not have completed. HP + Grace should solve your issues.

Message me with how the changes work out for you.
"
timbo1959 wrote:
"
tanis0 wrote:
For anyone following my Ranger builds in this thread

Not a criticism, just an obvious point - wouldn't you be better off pursuing your Ranger thread in the appropriate forum where others can find it more readily? Seems like you're missing out on your target audience by making your points in a thread devoted to a marauder build.

I have to go ahead and agree here with Timbo. Tanis, since you are posting a lot about the ranger build here please write a guide and place it into the Ranger forum. Having your information posted across many pages is not that convenient to anyone trying to follow you. When you have it up, private message me the direct link to the thread and I will add your variation to the main page to help direct any ranger MS users to your post. It will be more convenient for your followers and you will obtain a larger audience as a whole.

You can use any information in this thread for your guide as long as you give the appropriate original poster the credit.

Last edited by Kartikdon on Aug 28, 2014, 4:21:34 PM
To clarify, I posted the build again as an example to expand on Timbo's point: it's not so much that Sanctuary et. al. aren't worth taking on the build as it is that the new Ranger starting area is very strong, and that there's an alternate area you can skip to pick it up if you want to keep the resists and/or pick up the aura nodes. It's not my intention to advocate Ranger over Marauder to people who already have a Marauder rolled. I just didn't see the need to go remake the Marauder version I'd posted previously as I recall thinking I left it fairly unoptimized. However, since I was posting it and a couple people had indicated they liked and were using my Ranger build, I went ahead and made a note that I updated it.

I don't have the time or desire to keep a well-maintained separate build thread going right now unless there's some particular demand for me to do so. However, since it's obviously not being taken in the spirit in which I intended, I won't post any more Ranger builds in this thread. If I do end up starting one at some point, I'll let you know though, Kartikdon.
@Tanis.

I think you're taking the point the wrong way. For my part, as I said, it was just an observation, not a criticism, because if you really feel the build you've come up with is worthy of attention, it should be posted in the ranger forum where more people can peruse your outline - and where you can more readily respond to devotees and receive appropriate feedback from others with relevant experience and knowledge, just as others post on here trying to fine-tune things.

You also have to bear in mind that there isn't that much relevancy to making core comparisons when the build's follow divergent paths across the skill tree. The only commonality is the area to the top left, so it's really hard - and perhaps confusing for anyone new to the game perusing this thread - for people to take your points on board when they obviously clash with other areas of interest for this build. One may as well peruse threads devoted to summoners, witches, etc and try and fit those square pegs into the round hole that represents this marauder build.

I'll give you a small example, which we discussed. You mentioned how much you like using Bonebreaker - well, so do I. But for me, using those five passives meant making compromises elsewhere, and that meant giving up Baptism by Light. A look at your skill tree shows however that you use both - how? Because you basically follow a completely different path, so anyone looking at the point about Bonebreaker might take it on face value and go 'okay, I'll grab it' without realizing there's a price to pay elsewhere that you may well have compensated for via the Ranger's different skill sets.

So that's why I was simply suggesting, for your own benefit and to save possible confusion for readers new to the game or thread, that you'd be far better served setting your build in a thread in the ranger section. You've put a lot of thought and effort into it, so why not? No big deal to get the ball rolling - just take that post you copied in up above, apply a little filler, past it into a new thread over in the Ranger forum, and wait for the reaction. Presto!
Last edited by timbo1959 on Aug 28, 2014, 5:40:22 PM
You guys are right. Although, I must say I'm a fan of tanis0 ranger trees. But, if he doesn't have the time to commit to a well-maintained thread. Then, maybe it'd be nice to add ranger/duelist trees to the OP. we all claim the same key nodes and build upon the same principals.

Iron Grip, AoF, Max Block, Point Blank, Resolute Technique. Aside from subtle preferences the difference is quite small actually. Inspired by tanis0. I've made this tree:

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgIAm40AXhmO7YMILtN-PeJI7niu18u306OKG62VZgSxTGBNkiP2VvruDhjbFHWkwimlTipbr7ZBrK-bgzboMn46UjIJcmxsRqlueA1Yr9i9NZK18v4KPC3Grrc-rKon7cT2fNlyqWaewBpZ86-NDhTLQxnp3sH60lFgT32AVn7i42o26Z7FITRgxLQvUeYaOKeEkFX-un11DPfp1V_KXh-v62qTwA_V7b6n0k2E2W5pU99Y2xRSZU0kqhZvAef_0zSOhjsU9ueRw4aHGWwW_Esl3xv6pBkB3L6KR34=

The new Ranger area is indeed quite strong.

The numbers are actually quite impressive (+69% Attack Speed, Plenty of block, Life and dmg). Please, take a look at some of these stats if you may

Life +164%
Block 36%
Resist All Elements While Holding Shield +%22
Physical Mace Damage +%175
One Handed Melee Physical Damage +%64

Melee Physical Damage +%28
Armor +%76
Evasion +%62
Armor and Evasion +%40
Avoid Stun %30
Shield Armour +%80

Ignore Armour Movement Penalties

Attack Speed +%46
Mace Attack Speed +%6
One Handed Melee Attack Speed +%17

Survivability is good and dps is great, you can experiment around different routes in different starting areas. Having a tree for Duelist,Ranger in addition to our marauder tree would be really a nice addition.
Last edited by Tyraziell on Aug 28, 2014, 6:30:21 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info