"If PoE increased droprates, people would instantly leave the game"

I've always found that wanting something is far more fun than actually having it. Maybe because what I imagine possible and strive for is a better thing than reality once I have it. I think the drop rates are fine. It's players that trade for items that far exceed what ever they would ever hope to find themselves that complain about drop rates, when in reality they did it to themselves.

Orb rates are balanced too. If orbs fell more frequently, they might as well let us pick our items from a menu before we play. The fact that they are rare makes us choose to use them. Were they less rare, we'd be expected to.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I've always found that wanting something is far more fun than actually having it. Maybe because what I imagine possible and strive for is a better thing than reality once I have it. I think the drop rates are fine. It's players that trade for items that far exceed what ever they would ever hope to find themselves that complain about drop rates, when in reality they did it to themselves.

Partly true. For some builds you need several uniques, and the chance of finding them all is zilch. I found a Windripper and to get to its true potential, needed a 6L Volls. Even though a non-linked Volls its fairly common, I never found one. So you buy one, and buying a 6L one was cheaper than the 1200 or so fuses needed to probably 6L it.

And when you have it, you have nothing to strive for. Well....level 100, but I know how far away that is. I doubt I am at 10% at level 91.
Dear Maligaro,
I left my head in San Francisco, I lost my legs in Peru
My liver and kidney are on holiday in Sydney
And I am sending my Heart to you
--- Love, Malachai
"
Mahesys wrote:
Just because you want something and don't have it doesn't mean this game is bad.

I want to find a single upgrade for my gear at least every 10 levels. Is that really the same as asking for the game to hand out top-notch gear on a silver platter for logging in? Is that really asking for so much?

I also find it funny that people say drop rates are just fine are all playing Ambush which is basically Standard with increased drop rates.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

Orb rates are balanced too. If orbs fell more frequently, they might as well let us pick our items from a menu before we play. The fact that they are rare makes us choose to use them. Were they less rare, we'd be expected to.

I find getting a BJ far more fun than wanting one ;-).

Jokes aside, I think I've noticed you over at the Borderlands 2 forums, that had a similar shitstorm (still have?). So I know you're a grown dude and generally reasonable (not stalking srsly). Anyway, it really is a question of priorities. As it is I can waste 48 hours of playtime in low level orbs trying to 4L an ilvl 43 rare helmet, and not even be sure I get what I need to progress a build, no mention of wants here. Uniques should be rare, and I have no probs with the droprate of those. But my example above is what irks me, and it will probably burn me out too... I'd even accept orb drops as is, if there was a bit of slack cut with RNG for say anything below ilvl 60 and under 5L/S (again fractions or an entropy system), in relation to fuses, chroms, and sockets.

That's my main bother, that crafting is such a gamble, devoid of any agency from the player except spamming extreme multitudes of orbs. I'm perfectly happy going through the game in blues and yellers, and an occasional unique, dreaming of an Alpha's Howl that I'll only get if I trade. If I just can hope to see my work pay out when I once in a while need to craft some vendor trash to progress my char.
That's not about jealousy, scrounging, wanting free handouts, entitlement or any of the other ad hominems that get thrown at a lot of people that really resides somewhere between the two outer fringes. That IS about playing the game. My current char runs around in equipment that is found or crafted 10-15 levels ago, he is still up against a gearwall, and I will work around it I guess, but the thing about adversity: It ain't all fun all the time.
"Imagining GGG as a cranky hormonal pregnant woman suddenly explains a lot." - CliveHowlitzer
"
bluefalcon74 wrote:
I also find it funny that people say drop rates are just fine are all playing Ambush which is basically Standard with increased drop rates.

And you basically have no clue.
95% of the time, currency spent on boxes DOES NOT pay back. Speaking from experience rather than divinating from a crystal ball (which is what you are doing).

Boxes are "just" another lottery ticket. It is PERFECTLY the same as me saying that Invasion has increased drop rates compared to Standart because there is this free loot from the Invasion bosses. = nonsense. So please stop talking about things you did not experience yourself.

"
aldorus wrote:
"
bluefalcon74 wrote:

95% of the time, currency spent on boxes DOES NOT pay back. Speaking from experience rather than divinating from a crystal ball (which is what you are doing).

Boxes are "just" another lottery ticket. It is PERFECTLY the same as me saying that Invasion has increased drop rates compared to Standart because there is this free loot from the Invasion bosses. = nonsense. So please stop talking about things you did not experience yourself.

Cartographers Boxes. That's so much extra "loot" on average compared to mapping in leagues where those do not exist. The prices of maps in Ambush compared to other leagues, reflects it.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Last edited by mazul on Apr 23, 2014, 11:01:20 AM
"
mazul wrote:
"
aldorus wrote:
"
bluefalcon74 wrote:

Cartographers Boxes. That's so much extra "wealth" on average compared to mapping in leagues where those do not exist. The prices of maps in Ambush compared to other leagues, reflects it.

Yep, and that is the 5% where you actually can (! it still happened to me that after pumping in 11 chaos one 66 and three 67 maps dropped in 76 map from +5 level +3 magic Carto box) get the worth invested in currency back. And as I see it, GGG will remove those after Ambush concludes
"
aldorus wrote:
"
bluefalcon74 wrote:

So don't throw currency at boxes? Pure profit. You're welcome.

Oh, and if Inv bosses didn't drop any loot you think anyone would play that league? It's all about the loot. That's kind of the driving factor behind arpg's like D2. You gotta reward the players every once in awhile for playing.

Last edited by bluefalcon74 on Apr 23, 2014, 11:09:04 AM
"
aldorus wrote:
"
mazul wrote:
"
aldorus wrote:
(...)

Cartographers Boxes. That's so much extra "wealth" on average compared to mapping in leagues where those do not exist. The prices of maps in Ambush compared to other leagues, reflects it.

Yep, and that is the 5% where you actually can (! it still happened to me that after pumping in 11 chaos one 66 and three 67 maps dropped in 76 map from +5 level +3 magic Carto box) get the worth invested in currency back. And as I see it, GGG will remove those after Ambush concludes

Point being, people are loving higher map drop rates (cartographer's box is in practice increased map drop rates), which means that that they at least love one form of drop rate increase, which contradicts the "If PoE increased droprates, people would instantly leave the game". Q.E.D.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
This notion that drop rates could ever outweigh trading in terms of time investment is just ludicrous. You're putting your own personal findings up against tens of thousands of people doing the exact same thing.
IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info