"If PoE increased droprates, people would instantly leave the game"

"
LostForm wrote:

Domination league introduced the shrines, which add lots and lots of drop opportunities. Increasing drop rates any more wouldnt make those things drop 'reliably' either. I feel like the drop rate on lightning coil is pretty high in particular, it is one of the most common uniques I find, i think i have 6 of them now.

I just dont understand, any more streamlining of this game and you are looking at 50 play hours until god mode, just seems a bit over the top.

I can agree that currency could use a bump, it has more rng attached on use.

No clue why so scared to allow players gear. For a perfect example: D3 right now I would say I am about 85-90 out of 100 away from perfect stats. I got my character to that level (1.2mil damage, 5mil toughness - T4 running) since release of the Xpac - so what, 1-2months now 2-3 hours a night. That's not a ton of time played.

I still play the game every day - and enjoy it even though I know I'm likely not going to get any upgrades, and even if I do find something: I will have to play around with crafting still to try to get "perfect" stat rolls in order to get a 1% boost of damage/stat.

I still play the game every day though - why? Because I enjoy playing the game. It's really that simple: their "after story" content is actually engaging, and fun - especially with friends - they can quickly hop into my games or vice versa - and we just kill baddies together. Not really worrying about shitty drop rate or shitty crafting POE has - because we already have our bad ass characters.

POE is doing their best to keep players away from the 75>100% gear - I would even say the average player has 50-60% of "best in slot" stats on their gear - and even fewer have 6L on their mediocre pieces of garbage gear.

Why? Why are they so scared to allow players access to gear via crafting or drops? They think their game can't carry a tune past level 65? I think that's highly likely.
"
Fusion_Power wrote:

"
Sixpence wrote:

Just go play D3. You're asking the devs to completely go against what they and their game stands for. Plus, you're also asking them to completely redesign the systems in place around self found, when the whole purpose of making it this way was to enable the game to revolve around trading instead.

Look, I have nothing against self found players and that style of play. What I have a problem with is wasting the devs' time in building and implementing it, when it's not something they want to do, and when they can use that time to make more great content.

Massive and epic waste of time and resources, in my humble opinion.

Just go play D3 if you want self found.

I play D3 (you can play more than one RPG game ;) ) but I still hope to come back to PoE some day. And again, nobody says that GGG completely rebuilds their game! It would not affect you in any way if you want to continue with the classic PoE experience. GGG just needs to include a selffound league, that should not be hard, changins some drop values, removing trading options, that's it basicly. Nothing to complex or time consumpting. And it would not be a wast of time at all for GGG because many players actualy want such an league. Otherwise there would not be an single SFL discussion at all, right? ;)

You clearly have no idea the amount of resources it would take to make a self found league. I especially love the use of terms like "it shouldn't be that hard" and "that's basically it."

Again...they designed the entire game and all its' systems around trading, and now you want them to completely redesign everything around not trading? For what?

A SFL is not going to bring in the kind of profits that GGG wants to see. What would? Oh...how about Act 4 and MTX.

That's where they make their money. So yeah, when you ask them to build a SFL, when they could be working on real money makers, it is a huge waste of time, resources, and money.

I'm just happy they will never, ever make a SFL.
IGNs: Tearhaunch | Gleamscythe | Highlords_Wrath | Bladebone
Good luck, have fun
"
LostForm wrote:
I feel like anyone still asking for drop rates did not play in domination, has not played in ambush and pays no attention to the results of things like one week races. I dont understand wanting the game to be completable in a week. 100% self found in domination 1 week race and I (low play time, not efficient) reached level 78. In ambush I am sitting on tons of uniques, with 0 iir and solo play almost all of the time. I am just really struggling to understand how people are doing so badly in game. I would consider myself to be a mediocre player, but its like PoE offers zero resistance, I just run through the game like the monsters dont know i am there. They have done a great job rebalancing some of the stuff but a lot is too easy now, I just dont even think most of you have played on the rebalanced ruleset, or this thread just wouldn't exist.

Sorry, are you claiming you play 100% solo self-found?

"
I'm just happy they will never, ever make a SFL.

You better hope they do, unless you want drops increased across all leagues. Considering how popular increased drops are in Ambush, anything less than that is going to make even more people unhappy when the new leagues start.

Last edited by bluefalcon74 on May 20, 2014, 12:52:24 PM
"
LostForm wrote:
Domination league introduced the shrines, which add lots and lots of drop opportunities. Increasing drop rates any more wouldnt make those things drop 'reliably' either. I feel like the drop rate on lightning coil is pretty high in particular, it is one of the most common uniques I find, i think i have 6 of them now.

Yes, so GGG must make changes so you can farm or craft targeted things. Trading is targeted too (you buy very specific item for your build) (I'm not saying no RNG, RNG is good)

As for Domination, I did play that league up to level 84 on my maurauder. But I didn't feel like the shrines added much loot. Sure they had huge packs around them but then other parts of the map felt completely empty. My guess is that the impact of Nemesis mobs was bigger because of the inner treasure mobs. And ofc Ambush is even bigger impact.
i use a secret account because i am a politician that doesnt want the NSA to know i play poe.
"
LostForm wrote:
"
Main problem is progression at high level. (80+)

Example: for my SFL Witch I want to expand my build to have either cloak of defiance or lightning coil. Cloak of defiance would mean I can unspec MoM and gain a ton of passive points that I can spend on more life and damage in the templar area. I'm talking 30+ skill points here. So I want to make clear this is not some sort of luxury but a very core part of the build.

The only way to reliably obtain this uniques is trading. Using chance orbs is not reliable enough. It could be 1000's of chance orbs before I'd get it and I could be level 90 at that time. The drop rate is too low; I could go 1000's of hours without dropping one. I have no real way of acquiring this unique.

Another example: eternal orbs. A trader player can buy eternal orbs immediately and is only limited by how fast he can farm things to buy the eternals with. A SFL player will just have to hope and even getting ONE!!!!! eternal orb after 1000 hours is LUCKY. This discrepancy is huge.

Now if there were some other way to reliably progress besides trading, that would be great. A great example is fusings. I can actually farm alterations and convert them to fusings. But I cannot farm other things I need for my build.

Another thing I need is an empower gem. I have no way to farm for this specific thing I will just have to hope that it drops.

I played in Domination league. I have no idea what has Domination to do with this problem.

I just dont understand, any more streamlining of this game and you are looking at 50 play hours until god mode, just seems a bit over the top.

I can agree that currency could use a bump, it has more rng attached on use.

Sorry have to stick in here.

Just because your 1 of those who got 6 of 1 thing doesnt mean rest of the player base got it, its about the luck, someone might being lucky and find 3 exalted orbs on 1 map, while someone else doesnt find any exalted orb on 500 Maps.

I hope you understand that you cannot compare items of your find, after all some other poor soul still sitting there, after tons of hours and havnt gotten that Lightning Coil.
Last edited by marremurt on May 20, 2014, 1:02:57 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Increasing drop rates doesn't solve anything. It only delays the problem.

If you've played Normal Twilight Strand more than once or twice, you'll remember that, when you first start the game, upgrades drop all the time, and virtually nothing which drops is unusable shit. "What dropped? Are those white gloves? Score."

As you play more and more, the time between upgrades gets longer and longer, and an increasing percentage of loot dropped seems worthless to you. It's just like this chart here:

Just replace "Mastery" with "Usable Loot."

There is really no design change GGG could possibly make which would prevent this pattern from emerging. Perhaps they could delay you getting to the point where 99.97% of drops are crap, but the way to make sure you get more upgrades later is to give you less upgrades earlier, so in a way it's just one big trade-off.

The closest they could get to subverting something like this is by balancing itemization using incomparables — you know, apples and oranges types of situations, where you can't say the apple is strictly superior to the orange or vice versa. However, this doesn't so much escape the asymptotic nature of upgrades so much as separate things into two separate asymptotic graphs — one for apples, one for oranges — which the player then has to choose between.

So yeah. Asymptotic functions. Can't really stop 'em.

However, I will give OP credit for at least one thing: the "players would perfect their gear in a week and leave" thing sure is an easily dispatched strawman.

Underlined the sentence I'm responding to. My idea has always been to use the highest ranking mod available for the item's ilvl. Meaning, an item with an ilvl of 60 would only have mods that require level 60. No need for more rares, just more useful ones. It would also make exalteds way less of a gamble.
Last edited by Rowsol on May 20, 2014, 2:19:27 PM
"
marremurt wrote:

Sorry have to stick in here.

Just because your 1 of those who got 6 of 1 thing doesnt mean rest of the player base got it, its about the luck, someone might being lucky and find 3 exalted orbs on 1 map, while someone else doesnt find any exalted orb on 500 Maps.

I hope you understand that you cannot compare items of your find, after all some other poor soul still sitting there, after tons of hours and havnt gotten that Lightning Coil.

you are right, it is still random chance, but i didnt say 'all players have found this', I said, I have found this unique more along the lines of commonly found uniques. In other words, it drops more like regals than exalts. Regals do drop more often than exalts, even though it is possible for a player to have never found a regal. I am implying the same relationship for lighting coil, it is not super rare.
Hey...is this thing on?
"
Alea wrote:
if drop rate is massively increased maybe i will play again :>>

This. The reason I usually level to late 70s and then quit is due to 3 reasons:

a)Farming is not rewarding enough
b)I don't find enough useful items to make me want to create alts (unlike in D2)
c)Trading to progress gets boring very fast
I've now had a grand total of 4 exalted orbs drop for me since OB.

I have no difficulty playing the game up to level 80+ and end game maps, other than it taking too long to level so I just made new characters.

Then I have like 10 level 60-80+ characters and I am bored.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info