I Play Diablo III Because of Path of Exile's Problems

"
Xavderion wrote:
I can't get myself to go back to D3. Everytime I wanna game it's a decision between PoE and D3. 90% of the time I start up PoE. I still don't feel like my RoS money is wasted, I got a solid 30 hours of entertainment out of it and will keep playing it every now and then.

You might just be too burnt out to pick up a new arpg.

The way I see it is that no matter what you will have more investment in path of exile.
partially because of the stupid amount of time you need to throw away to get anywhere in poe. but mostly because it was the game you just played.

I dont know anyone who could easily walk away from 500 , 1000 , 4000 hours of investment, to another game that shares the same genre (but more importantly this particular genre.) I mean 1000s of hours of investment is what these kind of games can demand.

So no I do not blame you good sir for sticking with poe. I took several waves of extremely unpopular changes to get me to walk away.

If you really want you compare the two games in the same light , you need to walk away from both.
Play different genres and do so for more than a month or two. You will find that poe looks different when you dont have so many strings attached to it and those things you thought you enjoyed start to turn you off.
"
holocaustus wrote:
Maybe. I need to see how the endgame pans out. Shallow games tend to get boring pretty fast, no matter how fluid and smooth the experience is. Reason why I stuck with POE for so long despite all its flaws is its depth after all. I'd still be playing and tweaking builds for Atziri if it weren't for the fragment fiasco.

If Chris didn't lie and POE is still increasing its player base then GGG will also keep working on the game and improving it with patches - release was better than beta after all, and RNG of the Vaal will hopefully be an unfortunate outlier that will have been rectified by the time I pick up the game again.

PoE has lost 50% of its player base in the last month and around 75% in the last year, according to steam charts. All the people I ever knew have stopped playing ages ago. I myself quit 2 weeks back. If they are counting player base with the no. of new accounts created, 90% of them are probably bot accounts..
"
nightblade157 wrote:

PoE has lost 50% of its player base in the last month and around 75% in the last year, according to steam charts. All the people I ever knew have stopped playing ages ago. I myself quit 2 weeks back. If they are counting player base with the no. of new accounts created, 90% of them are probably bot accounts..

And GGG still seems to do their business as usual, still announcing mainly microtransactions, new skills but not reports about the important changes that are needed. I still waiting for the "big" announcements like "we overhaul PoE completely, new engine, better balance, better single player experience, rewarding gameplay, better netcode..."
How long do we have to wait for such news?
"
Saltychipmunk wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
I can't get myself to go back to D3. Everytime I wanna game it's a decision between PoE and D3. 90% of the time I start up PoE. I still don't feel like my RoS money is wasted, I got a solid 30 hours of entertainment out of it and will keep playing it every now and then.

The way I see it is that no matter what you will have more investment in path of exile.
partially because of the stupid amount of time you need to throw away to get anywhere in poe. but mostly because it was the game you just played.

I dont know anyone who could easily walk away from 500 , 1000 , 4000 hours of investment, to another game that shares the same genre (but more importantly this particular genre.) I mean 1000s of hours of investment is what these kind of games can demand.

So no I do not blame you good sir for sticking with poe. I took several waves of extremely unpopular changes to get me to walk away.

If you really want you compare the two games in the same light , you need to walk away from both.
Play different genres and do so for more than a month or two. You will find that poe looks different when you dont have so many strings attached to it and those things you thought you enjoyed start to turn you off.

I don't know about that, my investement gets pissed away every four months because I only play in the 4-month leagues :) For me it really comes down to the fact that whenever I play D3, it doesn't feel like I'm making any meaningful decisions, I don't invest myself in the game which makes it an arguably fun, but shallow experience.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
nightblade157 wrote:
"
holocaustus wrote:
Maybe. I need to see how the endgame pans out. Shallow games tend to get boring pretty fast, no matter how fluid and smooth the experience is. Reason why I stuck with POE for so long despite all its flaws is its depth after all. I'd still be playing and tweaking builds for Atziri if it weren't for the fragment fiasco.

If Chris didn't lie and POE is still increasing its player base then GGG will also keep working on the game and improving it with patches - release was better than beta after all, and RNG of the Vaal will hopefully be an unfortunate outlier that will have been rectified by the time I pick up the game again.

I could write a wall of text about how steam charts don't represent the whole player base, with numbers and quotes etc which prove that PoE isn't dying, but something about you tells me it would be a wasted effort :)
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Chris posted the actual numbers in that steam charts thread. He claims they've been going up ever since release, and a drop after the initial new league rush is normal. Though I would wager the drop was larger this time around based on forum QQ and personal experience and I hope they learn the right lesson from that.

Be that as it may, the game doing well and continuing to receive support is in everyone's interest. Competition is good, and aRPGs aren't exactly a thriving genre atm. Especially with D3 feeling even less than an RPG and more like an arcade slasher with light RPG elements.
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus
I wanna play Path of Exile cuz it has a funky-ass mo' betta story, pimpin visuals fo' tha game ghetto (e.g. gritty) n' both tha shit up in tha game n' tha levellin fit tha gamez narrative. But I just can't play tha game up in itz current state n' I aint been able ta stomach it since partway all up in tha second four-month league. Instead, I play Diablo Pt III.* Diablo Pt III aint a funky-ass mo' betta game than Path of Exile, all thangs considered yo, but it aint nuthin but a hella mo' stable game dat invites tha playa ta spend they time playin tha game. Well shiiiit, it took all tha way tha fuck into patch v2.0.1 fo' dis ta be tha case, tha pre-RoS patch, n' itz undeniable dat it never should have taken dat long fo' tha game ta straight-up be enjoyable ta play on some level...but itz what tha fuck happened. Y'all KNOW dat shit, muthafucka!

I keep lookin all up in tha PoE forums every last muthafuckin few minutes ta peep if there be a anythang positizzle goin down wit Path of Exile, both tha announcement page n' tha feedback page yo, but dat has yet ta be tha case. Da problems dat keep bein gestured ta n' explained up in pimped out detail is desync n' a 'crafting' system dat is inarguably a gamblin system. Da first issue make playin at all a real trial n' tha second issue make fo' no compellin reason ta suffer dat trial at all -nevermind tha rewards, tha experience simply aint enrichin at dis point n' aint been fo' like some time cuz of these cripplin issues.

And all up in all of dis Grindin Gear Game is disturbingly silent.

There is nuff playas whoz ass have dropped hundredz of dollars wit GGG on Path of Exile cuz they believed up in tha game, cuz they believed up in tha pimpers. Right back up in yo muthafuckin ass. Some of our asses feel lied ta n' a shitload of our asses simply feel let down by a cold-ass lil company wit too few scams and/or a cold-ass lil complete lack of epistemic humility, viz. tha inabilitizzle ta recognise they mistakes or, even recognisin they mistakes, tha inabilitizzle ta figure up how tha fuck ta fix em.

Path of Exile aint hardcore, itz fucked up n' playas wanna play it cuz they peep what tha fuck it can be n' a shitload of our asses have, off n' on, been straight-up vocal bout all dis bullshit. Therez no real polite way ta say dis so, please, up in light of all of tha consistent jive-ass shiznit dat playas have given n' tha scams they've offered, consider dis as charitably as possible.

Git yo' headz outta yo' collectizzle asses n' make Path of Exile tha kickass game it is supposed ta be instead of a largely unplayable experience fixated on some fucked up notion of 'players like ta trade' over action-oriented gameplay wit meaningful stylez of play.

This aint a underground battle against tha pimpers but a statement of frustration, from which it should be understood dat so much consistent feedback n' scams done been given dat itz inappropriate ta even suggest dat playas should be polite bout thangs fo' realz. At dis point tha thang wit Path of Exile is like dat shiznit was wit tha launch of Diablo Pt III n' thatz not even close ta appropriate, it wasn't fo' Diablo Pt III n' it aint fo' any other game. Perhaps itz been forgotten dat qualitizzle gameplay is whatz blingin, not tha monetisation plan.

Amen brotha.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Apr 14, 2014, 5:17:39 PM
Well, at least the post is unreadable.
I haven't posted in the PoE forums for quite a while. Mainly because everything has been said and talked to death.

But to add my 2chaos in, I'm one of those supporters that plays the game with a ceiling to my expectations (no 6Ls, no 500+ DPS weapons, no uber unique). If I didn't do that, I'd ragequit the game by now. The game has quite the number of issues that has never been addressed or resolved in some way or form since OB, including endgame, crafting, and the economy. There are also other gameplay mechanics that warrant a revisit but has not been touched or ever will. (BM keystone, evasion, mana management, ele dmg, etc.)

There's a lot of things the devs need to work on rather than working on new content. The fact that release of this game didn't solve any of the major issues bugs the hell out of me and I'm sure it worries a lot of veteran players as well.

The game is fun... but could be a lot more fun if RNG wasn't baked into every aspect of the game.

For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
Last edited by Islidox on Apr 14, 2014, 6:05:49 PM
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
Saltychipmunk wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:

I don't know about that, my investement gets pissed away every four months because I only play in the 4-month leagues :) For me it really comes down to the fact that whenever I play D3, it doesn't feel like I'm making any meaningful decisions, I don't invest myself in the game which makes it an arguably fun, but shallow experience.

Well there are many kinds of investment, excluding the more tangible things like characters , items etc that is one thing. As you aptly pointed out gets reset every 4 months.

No the real investment , is all those hours you took theory crafting , learning mechanics , finding the best areas to farm , creating the best builds , learning how to race , developing a play style, making friends and clans etc.

Take me , I knew nearly every facet of summoning, That isn't some small task. that takes some serious time investment experimenting , researching builds and learning what does or does not work.

This is the tragedy of poe , when one looks only at its merits , it is a superior game conceptually. the problem only really shows itsself when you look at the negatives.

what best describes diablo 3 at this point is that it is shallow. That is it. Nothing special , but nothing to get blood boiling angry at either. It is the very definition of the casual mans arpgy , And for what it is worth it nails that concept flawlessly.

Poe in comparison has so many problems that make me angry that i actually got my self banned from my guild for it ( best of luck to ya "former" fellow birdies , you shall be missed).

Now I admit , I am an excessively crass and negative person on forums. But it takes a special kind of game to get me so mad as to actually cross the line of getting thrown out of groups.

And what a total shame it is .

Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Apr 15, 2014, 8:31:28 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info