1.2.0 - Spectral Throw Crit Dagger (HC Viable)

I've played this to lvl 44 (Ranger, acrobatics) in Rampage so far and enjoying it. Damage with spectral throw is still low, but not terrible. My crit chance is only 15.6% though, but that should improve drastically later. Currently I find the clear speed slower than Arc (see foxtactics guide), but single targets are much faster to kill with double strike.

Just a quick levelling guide, as a couple of people have been asking for it.

Create a scion, put spectral throw in your stash
Create a duellist, put double strike (also possible from mercy mission)

Levelling: Get a good 2-handed weapon and use spectral throw to level. Use double strike for rares/bosses. At lvl 28 you can start getting good daggers. They can be hard to find, so I recommend saving up a bit of currency to get one.

If you are starting as Ranger I can recommend picking up Primal Spirit. The mana is extremely nice to have, and you will likely need strength for the sword you are levelling with, and need intelligence later when you switch to dagger. You can always respec out of it. I am still using at level 44.

The Herbalism notable is very strong. 20% increased life recovery from flasks makes a huge difference.

You can wait picking up crit chance/mult (Heartseeker) until later as it won't do much difference initially. Focus on phys damage and life initially.

Pick up a poachers mark early on. It will help you a lot with sustaining life and mana until you get leech. It is slow to cast though, so learn to time it.

Bandits: Oak, Oak, Alira (as written in the first post, just here for completeness).

Gem rewards have changed in 1.2. You can now get reduced mana as reward for
Merveil in Cruel.

Recommended Gem rewards (Ranger):

Whirling Blades: Breaking some Eggs, Normal A1
Hatred: The Caged Brute, Normal A1
LMP: Sharp and Cruel, Normal A2
Tempest Shield: Enemy at the Gate, Cruel A1
Grace: The Caged Brute, Cruel A1
Reduced Mana: Merveil, Cruel A1
Phys. Projectile Dmg: Sharp and Cruel, Cruel A2

You can get faster attacks later if needed. Initially it will just help you burn your mana faster.

I am not running any Auras yet, as I cannot sustain the mana. Will probably run Hatred, Grace, and Tempest Shield. I am undecided if it is worth picking up an aura cluster. I keep thinking about Haste, but I don't think it is worth it. There is a lot of attack speed from the tree already, and there is diminishing returns with attack speed. There is a lot of room for small variations in this build.

At some point in merciless (or late cruel) you will have to buy a good dagger. It is likely to be expensive, so save up currency. You can get decent evasion gear for alts and alchs though, and picking up some cheap stuff along the way is a good idea IMHO.

Hi everyone i'm level 51 and i'm following this build and i wanted to ask you if is it normal to have such low life? cause i have 1700hp and i'm about to kill Cruel Piety.
Here is my gear and my tree;(I know rings sux)

My Skill Tree

My Gear
Spoiler
Hello I am having a great succes with this build at Beyond league.

I just got to act 1 merciless recently.
Here's my current passive tree:
Spoiler

And my gear:
Spoiler

I have 3k life. It's pretty safe build but there are those scary moments when something hits u for 50%+ of ur life :D I wish i have lighting coil man!

Overall this build is fun and fast to play - simple it's a blast!
Mobs are going down fast right now :)

Be water, my friend.
Last edited by delgar89 on Aug 23, 2014, 1:05:59 PM
"
LiucK wrote:
Hi everyone i'm level 51 and i'm following this build and i wanted to ask you if is it normal to have such low life? cause i have 1700hp and i'm about to kill Cruel Piety.
Here is my gear and my tree;(I know rings sux)

I had ~1800 at level 49 and ~2000 at level 51 now. So maybe a bit on the squishy side, but not unreasonably little. How is your other mitigation? My resistances are all +70, ~50% evade, 30% dodge, and 40% block chance. These help a lot. I get hit very seldom. My biggest problem is the revenant in dock runs with the fire damage.

Yeah, your rings could use some improvements. It should be possible to pick up some for some alchs or alterations.
Last edited by hetjo on Aug 23, 2014, 1:23:37 PM
can i do this as scion or i lose to much ?
"
OgnyanLipchev wrote:
can i do this as scion or i lose to much ?

It is possible, but the start nodes for shadow and ranger are better IMHO (depending on what you want to do). I went with ranger due to the 8% ias node on start, which would not be possible to get if starting from Shadow. Scion makes more sense if you need to stretch across the tree, and most of the nodes are centered around shadow and witch/ranger (depending if going ES or Evasion).
"
hetjo wrote:

I had ~1800 at level 49 and ~2000 at level 51 now. So maybe a bit on the squishy side, but not unreasonably little. How is your other mitigation? My resistances are all +70, ~50% evade, 30% dodge, and 40% block chance. These help a lot. I get hit very seldom. My biggest problem is the revenant in dock runs with the fire damage.

Yeah, your rings could use some improvements. It should be possible to pick up some for some alchs or alterations.

I'm 53 now with 2050 life, went for iron reflexes(i love that passive) i have +65 to all resistances, +9 to chaos, 2450 armor = 48% phys dmg reduction and a 26% chance to block attacks

Gear at the moment(still shitty rings)
Spoiler
looks like fun
Death is inevitable exile.
"
hetjo wrote:
I've played this to lvl 44 (Ranger, acrobatics) in Rampage so far and enjoying it. Damage with spectral throw is still low, but not terrible. My crit chance is only 15.6% though, but that should improve drastically later. Currently I find the clear speed slower than Arc (see foxtactics guide), but single targets are much faster to kill with double strike.

Just a quick levelling guide, as a couple of people have been asking for it.

Create a scion, put spectral throw in your stash
Create a duellist, put double strike (also possible from mercy mission)

Levelling: Get a good 2-handed weapon and use spectral throw to level. Use double strike for rares/bosses. At lvl 28 you can start getting good daggers. They can be hard to find, so I recommend saving up a bit of currency to get one.

If you are starting as Ranger I can recommend picking up Primal Spirit. The mana is extremely nice to have, and you will likely need strength for the sword you are levelling with, and need intelligence later when you switch to dagger. You can always respec out of it. I am still using at level 44.

The Herbalism notable is very strong. 20% increased life recovery from flasks makes a huge difference.

You can wait picking up crit chance/mult (Heartseeker) until later as it won't do much difference initially. Focus on phys damage and life initially.

Pick up a poachers mark early on. It will help you a lot with sustaining life and mana until you get leech. It is slow to cast though, so learn to time it.

Bandits: Oak, Oak, Alira (as written in the first post, just here for completeness).

Gem rewards have changed in 1.2. You can now get reduced mana as reward for
Merveil in Cruel.

Recommended Gem rewards (Ranger):

Whirling Blades: Breaking some Eggs, Normal A1
Hatred: The Caged Brute, Normal A1
LMP: Sharp and Cruel, Normal A2
Tempest Shield: Enemy at the Gate, Cruel A1
Grace: The Caged Brute, Cruel A1
Reduced Mana: Merveil, Cruel A1
Phys. Projectile Dmg: Sharp and Cruel, Cruel A2

You can get faster attacks later if needed. Initially it will just help you burn your mana faster.

I am not running any Auras yet, as I cannot sustain the mana. Will probably run Hatred, Grace, and Tempest Shield. I am undecided if it is worth picking up an aura cluster. I keep thinking about Haste, but I don't think it is worth it. There is a lot of attack speed from the tree already, and there is diminishing returns with attack speed. There is a lot of room for small variations in this build.

At some point in merciless (or late cruel) you will have to buy a good dagger. It is likely to be expensive, so save up currency. You can get decent evasion gear for alts and alchs though, and picking up some cheap stuff along the way is a good idea IMHO.

I would skip running haste an replace it with HoA it only used 25% an is a nice boost to dps an explodeing frozen targets is nice :D everything else you said is good :D
So decided to post my progress cause why the heck not?

Finally managed to gear up a whole lot more at around lv 60 and currently am lv 66 (about to hit maps but first I wanna try and farm piety to afford a good coil + Ming/Bino (2EX made today so far from 5 runs surprisingly), lv 40-50 was the worst time for me using the build but now it's fine.

The passive tree:
Spoiler

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgYAsNii2VHZ_5OwklVLYeImlRa_jDamf-1BsbO1SB9BBiM2PW1scFIqC_PquXyMC-ywYqydqmyMpzTAnOOEDkiQGxGWmhNwVtvUSVHw1ZUuBx5jQ_LhRwaOipfQ225W9dh2feMs4axmuT6btVM1D6sqTX1brEdRTMpKwzrdDSzpFSA6s5AKSn2Hdmeg_MVbrymlTipKyD8ntxfiXoDhOJY=

Went the path that seemed the most comfortable for the IR offensive version and it aint too bad, have to run grace & HoI at late game tho otherwise the evasion isn't enough on it's own to give enough Defence (also using a jade flask.)

Gear I managed to self find except the chest which I bought for 5C off a friend.

Spoiler

I am aware of how bad my rings are but even without them my only uncapped resist is lightning so im temporarly using them untill I can alch some better ones.

Flask needs work but I don't have any alts to spare right now but it's good enough for now.

Im running around 1.7K DPS using this setup, not running out of mana too quickly with the mana flask I use so I can run faster attack to perma freeze everything.

Considering to run Temporal chain with increased duration when farming mobs to ensure a permanent freeze without having to use faster attack but the dps comparison compared to APPD is too great (I think 200 DPS atm)
Last edited by Wyra on Aug 23, 2014, 10:13:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info