1.2.0 - Spectral Throw Crit Dagger (HC Viable)

Last Updated: 9/2/2014

Please feel free post your 1.2 builds with explanations as to why you made the key decisions you did! For IR builds I recommend starting as Shadow. For Acro/Ondar builds I recommend starting Ranger.

I am not actively playing this character anymore right now but will help as much as I can!

An almost identical build done by another player on Invasion was featured in the Build of the Week video, check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL88HmM9k5Y

Pros and Cons
Pros:
Fast leveling
Huge DPS
Extremely mobile
Inexpensive
Fast and fun gameplay
Can do any map mod except No Regen. Half regen is a PITA but do-able.

Cons:
Mediocre defensive stats
Micro intensive
Videos
"
ricardobisa wrote:
Video with gameplay from this build that i did.
Lvl 71 strand map.
Char is level 85.
Rampage over 400.

Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZczBhOTXQo&list=UUBq5XBiITRtpNzi6V5_iw3Q
Leveling
Create a Scion to get Spectral Throw. Get the highest damage 2h weapon you can and use it. Use the vendor recipe (rustic sash + whetstone + weapon) to get increased phys damage % mod if you don't have leveling gear. Spectral Throw is very safe and very fast to level. Get a Mightflay dagger for lv35 and a Crest of Perandus shield. Use this until 55+ when you replace it with a better dagger.
Gems
4L: Spectral Throw + LMP + LGoH + Physical Projectile Attack Damage
5L: Spectral Throw + LMP + LGoH(LL) + Physical Projectile Attack Damage + Increased Crit Damage
6L: Spectral Throw + LMP + LGoH(LL) + Physical Projectile Attack Damage + Power Charge on Crit + Increased Crit Damage

LGoH gem can be skipped while leveling if using Mightflay (recommended). Also replace it end-game if you can get 4%+ life leech on gear if you want.

4L: Double Strike + Melee Physical + Multistrike + Inc Critical Damage
3L: Herald of Ash + Hatred + Reduced Mana (Maybe Tempest Shield?)
3L: Whirling Blades + Faster Attacks + Blood Rage
4L: Enfeeble + Assassins Mark + Blood Magic
4L: Cast on Damage Taken(1) + Immortal Call(3) + Enduring Cry(5) + Inc Duration(20) (in this order)
Vaal Cyclone is amazing, might want to fit it in somewhere
Gear
Required
Dagger: Highest possible physical damage. Crit secondary (base chance most important).
Other: Life + resists mostly on gear, ES if you take EB. Try to get chaos resist so you can run Blood Rage.
Flasks with Surgeons prefix (recharges with critical strike)
Wants
Bino's Kitchen Knife
Maligaro's Virtuosity
Rat's Nest
Ming's Heart
Daresso's Defiance/Belly of the Beast OR Lightning Coil and run Purity of Lightning + Topaz flask.
Bandits
Oak, Oak, Alira
Current Progress
I am currently level 77 (rerolled on Ambush but using the same tree) and have had 0 issues with anything in the game so far. I have killed Dominus solo, it was extremely easy, not even close to dying. I have swapped out Maligaro's and PCoC for Aurseize and Item Rarity for easy zones to farm better. I can run Piety in under 5 minutes with this setup. I haven't had any problems with any map mods and am working on building up my base of higher level maps.

Current Gear

I am currently only running Hatred (or Grace for certain parts). I am also up to -1% chaos resist so I am running Blood Rage.
How does this build compare to ele buzzsaw in terms of DPS?

The DPS number with mediocre gear is lower but the clear speed is higher. You will only get around 15-16k tooltip with this but there are a few things to keep in mind. Look at my Current Progress section for my guys' gear. I have around 5k tooltip DPS with that setup on ST and around 25k-30k on double strike.

1) Physical damage isn't mitigated nearly as much as elemental by monsters
2) DPS number doesn't mean shit, clear speed does. This clears FAST.
3) You get a single target skill that will have 30k+ DPS with mediocre gear, this makes killing bosses much faster.
4) You can use physical mana/life leech which is a huge plus.
5) Top-end scaling is way better with gear than Elemental is, also elemental is dead this patch (1.2) with the aura/damage nerfs IMO.
IGN: Dmillz
Last edited by Dmillz on Sep 12, 2014, 5:56:50 PM
Heya, thanks for keeping this build alive! I've finally been able to achieve my dream of leveling a HC viable dagger-based shadow! Rolled a toon a little bit earlier, currently pubstomping through the start of Invasion, at least a bit more than usual. Two questions for you: under what circumstances should I spec into EB? And, have you gotten to endgame to see how this build holds up (i.e. Lunaris 3/Piety runs, starter maps and beyond)?
Sorry for the late reply!

I am still not sure I am going to spec into EB. I would only spec into it if you are having trouble maintaining your mana (more max mana = faster mana leech). On Invasion I died at level 60 like an IDIOT to an Invasion boss that I tried to fight with 0 flasks going into it. I didn't have any problems at any point during the leveling process.

I rerolled on Ambush with the same spec, currently level 68 and beat Piety quite easily. I am going to start mapping pretty soon and don't expect to have any problems. Unless you have very bad desync, whirling blades mobility is so strong it is very hard to die.
Hi looks like a fun build but the Passives links are not working can u update them ?
Loving the build so far, currently lvl 58 with this gear:

Much to improve, need to farm :) Thanks for sharing the build !! :D
:]
"
Dmillz wrote:
Sorry for the late reply!

I am still not sure I am going to spec into EB. I would only spec into it if you are having trouble maintaining your mana (more max mana = faster mana leech). On Invasion I died at level 60 like an IDIOT to an Invasion boss that I tried to fight with 0 flasks going into it. I didn't have any problems at any point during the leveling process.

I rerolled on Ambush with the same spec, currently level 68 and beat Piety quite easily. I am going to start mapping pretty soon and don't expect to have any problems. Unless you have very bad desync, whirling blades mobility is so strong it is very hard to die.

No problem, thanks for the reply! Good to know info. I'll watch out for the bosses, that's Invasion for you :P Thanks again for the build, happy mapping.
"
MrMetalx wrote:
Hi looks like a fun build but the Passives links are not working can u update them ?

Just updated the 102 points on, double checked all the links should be working now.
Last edited by Dmillz on Apr 20, 2014, 6:11:20 PM
Decided to try Dominus tonight, it was a cakewalk. I completely destroyed him. Update OP with current gear (picked up Rat's Nest and Maligaro's Virtuosity).
Last edited by Dmillz on Apr 24, 2014, 1:23:14 AM
Hi,

I'd love to try this ST build. I loved my 2H ST Ranger last season, this could be a nice alternative if I want to reroll such a character.

How do you manage to not get OOM with your current setup? I can't see any Mana Leech or Blood Magic but two 60% auras, so I wonder.

Cheers.

edit: OK, I just read that you only run one aura at a time. Any plans to run both and get some mana leech? Just some mana leech on gear might be enough.
Last edited by Emrad on Apr 25, 2014, 5:07:26 AM
Does $ meele physical damage work with ST?
About LGoH, why not Life Leech? Is LGoH good against single target?
Thanks!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info