Leech: GGG clarify please!

I can understand the reason for the change but there are unintended side effects.

1) overall life % nodes were nerfed/replaced/moved/shrunk
2) the queuing effect of leeching was changed to only one active leech source (serial -> parallel)
3) vaal pact was changed:
a) allows life flask use
b) coefficient of instant heal was lowered

the ramifications are:

1) lower total life
a) lower effective leech per second as leech rate was a function of max life
b) lower life makes life flasks more attractive.
- 500 instant life when you only have 2k is more useful than when you had 6k before (extreme example)
- blood of the karui is even more niche because of lower life pools
- divination distillate is harder to use without rolling serial heals while using blood magic gems
2) the queuing effect was how you abated reflect WITHOUT vaal pact. you'd attack, take damage, then the accrued heals would return the life. you just had to pace your dps which was fine. under the new system I heal to full (thus ending all leeching) before the total reflect is handled and have no leftover heals to counteract the reflect damage.
3) it seems all these changes were to accommodate the changes to vaal pact but those of us purposely NOT using VP got screwed over in the process.

I don't want VP because I want to use my divination distillate. However it seems all these changes and relocation of VP presumes everybody will take VP. They don't.

If anybody had leech problems on aoe packs then they had a broken build and need to fix it. Half the point of adds during boss fights was to recharge flasks sure. The other half was to give you a consistent source of leeching until you had a main attack hitting hard enough/often enough to sustain a direct leech effect. The new system inverted the problem and now single target is easy and aoe is harder. Not exactly a good change.

I can understand lowering life or reprioritizing which is first in a serial leeching scenario or even changing how serializing would become a stable rolling mean but only processing the strongest leech source and ignoring the rest really negates the point of using LMP/GMP. Now you want to hit as hard as possible everytime you land a hit so your leech is maximized. That is highly counterintuitive to a would be new player.
In the old way, if you leech 250 life, and if it takes 0.5sec to fully transfer this leech to your life, any more leeching during this "Heal over Time" will be queue, so if you leech again on 0.4sec for another 250 life, this will be on queue. So you constantly regen 500 life/sec.

┌ 0.1s - heal 50
          │ 0.2s - heal 50
1st hit ┤ 0.3s - heal 50
          │ 0.4s - heal 50 < I hit and leech another 250 life , on queue
          └ 0.5s - heal 50
          ┌ 0.6s - heal 50
          │ 0.7s - heal 50
2nd hit ┤ 0.8s - heal 50
          │ 0.9s - heal 50
          └ 1.0s - heal 50

While on the recent change, anymore damage you dealt while you heal, will not leech.

┌ 0.1s - heal 50
          │ 0.2s - heal 50
1st hit ┤ 0.3s - heal 50
          │ 0.4s - heal 50 < I hit again on here, but it will not leech
          └ 0.5s - heal 50
            0.6s - 0
            0.7s - 0
          ┌ 0.8s - heal 50 < I hit again, leeched again
          │ 0.9s - heal 50
3rd hit ┤ 1.0s - heal 50
          │ 1.1s - heal 50
          └ 1.2s - heal 50

Hopefully I'm not making any mistake.
I Believe I Can Fly ~~~~
Last edited by dda550 on Mar 7, 2014, 4:19:22 PM
good graph. your second hit would leech if the amount leeched exceeds the pending tick amount. if it was less than that it would not. whether it compares the per tick amount (quantized) or the total amounts beforehand is also unknown.

GGG hasn't devulged if the mechanism used for leech was an N depth (modulus?) queue or not. likewise the new system hasn't been explained in terms of multiple sources other than leech rate selects the priority.
Last edited by kehlarn on Mar 7, 2014, 4:45:14 PM
"
kehlarn wrote:
I can understand the reason for the change but there are unintended side effects.

I don't want VP because I want to use my divination distillate. However it seems all these changes and relocation of VP presumes everybody will take VP. They don't.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that while using VP you are now able to use flasks?
"
ricklington wrote:
"
kehlarn wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that while using VP you are now able to use flasks?

I wasn't speaking for VP. VP+DD is pointless because you'd be full life almost immediately which removes the DD buff which like all life recovery leeching stops at full life/mana as appropriate. This is also why adrenaline affixes on healing/mana aren't all that useful as they cut off prematurely.

I was speaking for the case where you attack using blood magic to pay for the attack and thus aren't full life, pop DD to gain the buff, hit and kill the mob, accrue leech and heal back. DD is active for a kill if you time it right (half the challenge) and then you're healed and can continue.

Doing that combo on the new system means I have to be careful about casting a specific number of casts because after the combo I may not be full life after. In the previous system I would literally only have the DD buff for a small window when the mob died before I would be full again because the leeching was stacked serially. Using this allowed you to chain DD across multiple kills to maximize the buff while avoiding healing to full and removing it. VP would result in the uptime of DD being nearly zero because total life is less now. Without VP you can't chain pull and have DD timed because you're either wounded or full life and no longer near full life the majority of the time. Far more risky for hardcore to the point of not even bothering.
"
dda550 wrote:
While on the recent change, anymore damage you dealt while you heal, will not leech.

┌ 0.1s - heal 50
          │ 0.2s - heal 50
1st hit ┤   0.3s - heal 50
          │ 0.4s - heal 50 < I hit again on here, but it will not leech
          └ 0.5s - heal 50
            0.6s - 0
            0.7s - 0
          ┌ 0.8s - heal 50 < I hit again, leeched again
          │ 0.9s - heal 50
3rd hit ┤ 1.0s - heal 50
          │ 1.1s - heal 50
          └ 1.2s - heal 50

Hopefully I'm not making any mistake.

As I understand it, the 2nd hit will still leech, but it has no effect until it is the largest leech occurring. At 0.6s and 0.7s you should still be healing, but the effect expires after 0.8s.

The third hit is just kinda complicating things... uh. Let me try.

┌ 0.1s - heal 50
        │ 0.2s - heal 50
hit 1  ┤ 0.3s - heal 50
       ┌│ 0.4s - heal 50 < I hit and leech another 250 life , on queue
       │└ 0.5s - heal 50
hit 2 ┤  0.6s - heal 50
       │  0.7s - heal 50
       └ 0.8s - heal 50
          0.9s - heal 0
          1.0s - heal 0

Edit: Those charts, ugh.
Edit 54: Good as it gets. If you don't get the idea by now, well, fuck you, do it yourself. XD
Last edited by KG31459 on Mar 7, 2014, 5:21:37 PM
"
harvest wrote:
"
Tlaloc4 wrote:
@Mark_GGG

you see that there is a lot of confusion.

The main question what drives me around:

WHY this necessary? Was there any reason?

Can we please have an answer on this?

PS: Also people seem to forget that its not a nerf on all melee damage AOE skills, but also for high Heavy Strike hits. E.g. I have 4k life, making 6k dmg with Heavy Strike. With my 15% (20% with blood rage) it is 900dmg of leech. leech is per "tick" capped to 20% of life, what is 800. So the 100 left are shifted to the next tick. However if I have HEAVY Strike with Multistrike/Faster Attacks I can attack fast. So If I do another hit in the next "tick", I will again leech potetnially 900, meaning the 100 from before is lost.
PPS: As I understood, this is leech in general. So lets see the item

It allows mana AND life leech at a time. My understanding is that if I additionally have
by definition I will NEVER leech mana since it will always be the smaller leech due to that I leech 4% life and 2% mana.
So this kills mana mechanics. Is that right too?

I guess there is no "competition" between life and mana leech; you always get both.

I think you are wrong, Mark_GGG stated that this mechanic is for general leech. Also in other threads people complaining that they cannot sustain their attacks anymore, what for me is also an indication for that assumption.
Last edited by Tlaloc4 on Mar 7, 2014, 5:38:35 PM
"
Tlaloc4 wrote:

I think you are wrong, Mark_GGG stated that this mechanic is for general leech. Also in other threads people complaining that they cannot sustain their attacks anymore, what for me is also an indication for that assumption.

I have myself troubles to get enough mana in long battles (this did not occure before patch), but I am sure that I continue to leech mana (and life of course) because I see both red and blue indicators increasing, after decreasing, continuously. The reason why it's more difficult now to have enough mana is simply because both leech have been nerfed.
"
kehlarn wrote:

1) overall life % nodes were nerfed/replaced/moved/shrunk
2) the queuing effect of leeching was changed to only one active leech source (serial -> parallel)
3) vaal pact was changed:
a) allows life flask use
b) coefficient of instant heal was lowered

the ramifications are:

1) lower total life
a) lower effective leech per second as leech rate was a function of max life
b) lower life makes life flasks more attractive.
- 500 instant life when you only have 2k is more useful than when you had 6k before (extreme example)
- blood of the karui is even more niche because of lower life pools
- divination distillate is harder to use without rolling serial heals while using blood magic gems
2) the queuing effect was how you abated reflect WITHOUT vaal pact. you'd attack, take damage, then the accrued heals would return the life. you just had to pace your dps which was fine. under the new system I heal to full (thus ending all leeching) before the total reflect is handled and have no leftover heals to counteract the reflect damage.
3) it seems all these changes were to accommodate the changes to vaal pact but those of us purposely NOT using VP got screwed over in the process.

If anybody had leech problems on aoe packs then they had a broken build and need to fix it. Half the point of adds during boss fights was to recharge flasks sure. The other half was to give you a consistent source of leeching until you had a main attack hitting hard enough/often enough to sustain a direct leech effect. The new system inverted the problem and now single target is easy and aoe is harder. Not exactly a good change.

I can understand lowering life or reprioritizing which is first in a serial leeching scenario or even changing how serializing would become a stable rolling mean but only processing the strongest leech source and ignoring the rest really negates the point of using LMP/GMP. Now you want to hit as hard as possible everytime you land a hit so your leech is maximized. That is highly counterintuitive to a would be new player.

I'm fairly sure that the main reasons for the change are

a) +Life was FAR too important as a stat, and almost all builds were built around it
b) Lifeleech was very powerful and made other methods of regaining life much less important - almost all builds were using it
c) these add up to less build diversity
d) now people will use armor, evasion, energy shield and other options more due to better "balance" between these various strategies

Note - I am not expressing a positive or negative opinion on the change - I am officially "neutral" about the change, but I'd be much happier if it was fixed to be lifeleech only, and not mana leech.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info