Leech: GGG clarify please!

"
raics wrote:

"
junaum wrote:
Does "Mana regeneration Rate" modifiers on Items and Passives affect the base Mana Leeching Rate (12.5% of maximum mana)? Can I get more than 12.5% leeching rate if I stack that stat?

Regen and leech are separate mechanics.

Is there anything I can do to improve that aspect (to increase the potential amount leeched per second)?

Right now, the only way around seems to be "Mana on Hit" and "mana on kill" items/passives.
"
junaum wrote:
"
raics wrote:

"
junaum wrote:
Does "Mana regeneration Rate" modifiers on Items and Passives affect the base Mana Leeching Rate (12.5% of maximum mana)? Can I get more than 12.5% leeching rate if I stack that stat?

Regen and leech are separate mechanics.

Is there anything I can do to improve that aspect (to increase the potential amount leeched per second)?

Right now, the only way around seems to be "Mana on Hit" and "mana on kill" items/passives.

1. Increase your dps.
2. Increase your maximun mana or life.
I Believe I Can Fly ~~~~
"
dda550 wrote:

Yep, was already working on that.

"
dda550 wrote:

1. Increase your dps.

Nope. My dps is already much more than needed to hit the "12.5% rate cap" for Mana leech.

Anything else that can be done?
"

Pray GGG revert the change. =P
I Believe I Can Fly ~~~~
"
junaum wrote:
"
dda550 wrote:

Yep, was already working on that.

"
dda550 wrote:

1. Increase your dps.

Nope. My dps is already much more than needed to hit the "12.5% rate cap" for Mana leech.

You did not understand. You always leech with 12.5%.
Clarity
Blood Magic
Reduced Mana
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
harvest wrote:

They say ==> Only the 'strongest' [The "strongest" leech is not defined by duration, but by how quickly it's replenishing life.] will actively replenish your Life/Mana, all others simply tick down and do nothing. <==

So, if you have items with life leech mods (20% normal replenishing rate,I guess) and a top Quality Life Leech Gem (24% replenishing rate) supporting a skill, using this skill will only trigger the gem leech, because it is the strongest. In other words, items leech mods become useless with a Q Leech Gem in action. Same wondering about Life leech passive skills (which, I guess, are at 20% rate).
No, because those will be the same leech.

Each time you hit something, you generate one instance of life leech (and maybe one of mana as well), based on all the leech effects you have that apply to that hit. The change is to how leech from different hits interact. Now only the strongest at any given time is active and the others still tick down, just like ignite, where before it was still the case that only the strongest was ever active, but the others were 'paused' while inactive and queued up to occur fully afterwards.

So, why is it, that my 4% mana leech is no longer to sustain my build? I'm not understanding what is happening here, or why I went from being able to run with Wurm's MOlt + 2% Leech from Passives, and have plenty of mana, to no longer being able to leech to sustain consistent uses of

in AOE situations?
Last edited by shoju on Mar 7, 2014, 11:17:24 AM
@Mark_GGG

you see that there is a lot of confusion.

The main question what drives me around:

WHY this necessary? Was there any reason?

Can we please have an answer on this?

PS: Also people seem to forget that its not a nerf on all melee damage AOE skills, but also for high Heavy Strike hits. E.g. I have 4k life, making 6k dmg with Heavy Strike. With my 15% (20% with blood rage) it is 900dmg of leech. leech is per "tick" capped to 20% of life, what is 800. So the 100 left are shifted to the next tick. However if I have HEAVY Strike with Multistrike/Faster Attacks I can attack fast. So If I do another hit in the next "tick", I will again leech potetnially 900, meaning the 100 from before is lost.
PPS: As I understood, this is leech in general. So lets see the item

It allows mana AND life leech at a time. My understanding is that if I additionally have
by definition I will NEVER leech mana since it will always be the smaller leech due to that I leech 4% life and 2% mana.
So this kills mana mechanics. Is that right too?
"
Tlaloc4 wrote:
@Mark_GGG

PS: Also people seem to forget that its not a nerf on all melee damage AOE skills, but also for high Heavy Strike hits. E.g. I have 4k life, making 6k dmg with Heavy Strike. With my 15% (20% with blood rage) it is 900dmg of leech. leech is per "tick" capped to 20% of life, what is 800. So the 100 left are shifted to the next tick. However if I have HEAVY Strike with Multistrike/Faster Attacks I can attack fast. So If I do another hit in the next "tick", I will again leech potetnially 900, meaning the 100 from before is lost.

It allows mana AND life leech at a time. My understanding is that if I additionally have
by definition I will NEVER leech mana since it will always be the smaller leech due to that I leech 4% life and 2% mana.

I'm kind of interested in the exact reasoning too. I assume that leech was too powerful in GGG's opinion, but was this change also intended to make Life on Hit more widely used at the same time? Other reasons?

Mana leech is separate from life leech and has a separate (12.5%/second) cap. You'll still leech mana.

Also, as far as I know there are no effects in PoE that 'tick.' Everything that has a duration happens during the whole duration. Thinking of effects having a "tick" in PoE can lead you to other misconceptions about how the game works.
"
Tlaloc4 wrote:
@Mark_GGG

I guess there is no "competition" between life and mana leech; you always get both.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info