Path of Desync?

First of all, desync isn't a feature, it's a side effect of a feature. Second, there's a big difference between liking/supporting desync and being aware how to deal with it. People have been trying to give suggestions on the latter. To use a metaphor, if you're trying to race across a bridge with holes in it, "wow they need to fuckin' fix these holes" is a very valid complaint, but when someone says "maybe run slower or something so you don't keep falling in the holes while you're running" that doesn't mean "i love holes shut up they're great". If you're racing right now, "the holes will be fixed later" doesn't do you any good. We're all eagerly waiting for desync improvements, and just want to minimize it in the meantime.

"
repairman1988 wrote:
What kind of boggles my mind is how they describe desync as some insurmountable problem that costs tons of money. I have played more MMOs than I can count, and even the crappiest of them never had the problems this game did. It was always lag, never this desync issue (and yes, lag and desync are different). How is that only path of exile, out of literally every MMO out there, experiences it to this degree?

Read this.
Last edited by Bunnu on May 11, 2014, 6:35:55 AM
try multistrike-leapslam next time
2-week race / 1200 life and res cap / top 1000 / go to docks normal / open box / desync / dead / gg
IGN: SeaLaser
Sea Builds, Characters, Shops, Links & Records:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/972683/
"
RoyalStar wrote:
2-week race / 1200 life and res cap / top 1000 / go to docks normal / open box / desync / dead / gg

According to every explanation so far...working as intended.

The only thing I can gather from reading all of the resources available explaining desync, is that PoE is such an incredibly unique game, that no method that works for other games work for it. I really dislike the cost explanation because as I've said before, how the heck do kickstarters make MMOs without noticeable desync? They are working with basically nothing.

I don't unerstand why 90% or more of their priority isn't dedicated to addressing it. Forget new content, work on fixing what you have. It reminds me of my time in the military where we would get a constant flow of new officers (they change posts every couple of years). Instead of fixing known issues, they decided to pump out a ton of new rules and always focused on creating "new" processes instead of fixing brken old ones that were still in place.

This is a truly incredible game and I sincerely wish more attention was focused on this issue, rather than "lol l2p scrub, hotkey logout macro and stop using movement skills, real players dont have issues, etc etc."
"
repairman1988 wrote:
Forget new content, work on fixing what you have.
Blasphemer! xD
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
repairman1988 wrote:

The only thing I can gather from reading all of the resources available explaining desync, is that PoE is such an incredibly unique game, that no method that works for other games work for it. I really dislike the cost explanation because as I've said before, how the heck do kickstarters make MMOs without noticeable desync? They are working with basically nothing.

Not sure if intentionally trolling, very unaware of other online games, or just plain not understanding other games.

Lots of other games have desync. Some of them are in different forms.

Even back to some of the early popular online games, such as starcraft, they had a 'pause entire game when desync' solution. Imagine if everytime you were found to be slightly out of sync your game paused and then unpaused. Now that would be painful.

The online FPS genre has often used predictive modelling on its clients, since the day damage calculations became server side. CS:S is a very common example of this, because the 'blood' decals were entirely client side, you could shoot someone "in the head", then see them run around with a giant blood spot on their head the rest of the round. Of course you were out of sync so you technically didn't even hit them.

Infact CSS also has other forms of desync things, such as seeing people teleporting backwards and forwards, because they are lagging, and the predictive client is receiving data saying what they are doing and the server is trying to catch them up, so your client is their ping + your ping predicting which can be huge.

Other games also have different methods to deal with it. D3 used a different method entirely, leaning towards 'delay'. I don't know about other people, but I could never play a, whatever its called, the crit witch with that cooldown reduction. I would be spamming my 'w' key to cast the frost skill, and diamond skin, while attacking. It would often leave me dead just because despite the skill being up, it wouldn't cast it in any way until the server said I could. I essentially had a 2x ping delay on any skill use, because it took a ping to see the skill was off cooldown, then another ping to actually cast it, and .5 seconds is a huge delay in that sort of a game.

Trying to say that PoE is unique is cute, but it is really wrong. Maybe go read about how challenging it was to make Supreme Commander (is that the name?) multiplayer. They had to force everything to always run in lockstep. Interesting side effect was that if something got just a miniscule amount out of sync, the entire game was unrecoverable, and it had to end. Lets see if you'd enjoy PoE if it got slightly out of sync and had to close, because it was running a timestamp lockstep system?

Please stop trying to pretend it only happens to PoE. It isn't a good thing, it is something that is being improved and has been a lot, it has potential to be a lot better (as evidenced by other online games), but it is FAR from unique
Forget all apologists. They are totally clueless about what they are saying. Online games have been around since 90s and in my gaming experience I have never encountered any game that has as unreliable information on screen as PoE.

Truth is that (which is kind of already told by devs under a sugarcoated version) they made a *decision* about how the netcode would work. They wanted to ensure game would run even with bad latency connections. This decision was made many years ago (probably 6-7 ?) and they started writing their own custom game engine back then based on that decision.

At the moment they probably hate themselves for that decision, but whats done is done. They can not remake the game engine from scratch. Only solution is making a brand new PoE with a new engine. And they already decided against that.

So, desynch is result of the faulty foundation PoE stands on. And sadly you can not replace the foundation of a building.
Last edited by symban on May 11, 2014, 9:44:16 PM
I wouldn't be so harsh in the criticism.

I think all in all the game is fantastic. Some classes don't feel the desync as badly.

But the desync is a huge problem, for me at least. Which is why I won't touch any melee configuration at the moment. The Duelist I started was a lot of fun for about two hours until I got way too frustrated with monsters suddenly appearing all around me or on the other side of the sreen and/or me dying wtihout being able to fight back or avoid getting attacked.

It's especially frustrating to see such a problem limit a game that would otherwise arguably be a contender as the most fun current arpg. Better than D2 even.

Luckily when I play with my first char, a summoner, I can enjoy the game as it was intended. My minion army is all around me and attacks monsters that are further away while I stay clear of the fighting. I dont really 'feel' the desync at all though I sometimes get in trouble because of it when opening guarded boxes/crates.

I really hope they will focus a lot of their manpower/resources on finding an effective method to dramatically reduce the desync.

Because I cant play a melee char with such a problem. Not because I physically can't or don't want to: It's just not enjoyable with brawler builds when you cant accurately and effectively engange/disengage monsters.

But in those moments where I could play a minute or two without desync it was a loooot of fun with my duelist.

Even if it will always stay as bad though I still enjoy the game hehe. Just not with melee characters.
"
symban wrote:
Forget all apologists. They are totally clueless about what they are saying. Online games have been around since 90s and in my gaming experience I have never encountered any game that has as unreliable information on screen as PoE.

Please list examples.

I have listed examples of games which have other sync related issues.

D2 even had black wall of death, similar but not identical because it was a different server based model.

All games have their ways of dealing with the delay, client either being trusted (hacks) or not having full information.

And plenty of other games have this 'lag' or 'desync' in various forms. Easiest example that is 1:1 with PoE is the source engine games.

They have less because there is less data they need to be submitting. But in a way they have "more" because it is a humans movement that is being predicted, which is a lot harder to do than predicting an NPC (or should be, some mob AI really needs better prediction)
"
Real_Wolf wrote:
"
symban wrote:

Please list examples.

I can write down a list of games that is more than several pages and you would find an excuse for them not having desynch. I am not in the mood to discuss color of a leaf with a blind person.

If you want to keep your delusion, first answer yourself "which other game requires player not to trust in the information on screen".

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info