Why do some players lose their passion for PoE ?

A solid night playing the game after a week looking forward to it. I'd like to say I made some real progress here tonight. Be able to go to sleep feeling content that there was some headway and look forward to achieving even better heights. My character is now slightly more powerful and I'm a step closer to attaining some goal.

Well, no none of that happened.

I'd like to say I've been an extremely huge fan of this game since I started playing and have since brought in several of my friends. They're no longer around, they weren't nearly as dedicated as I am. You see there's a severe problem in the game when everything is based on a lottery. No one makes a career out of playing a lottery and while it'd be nice to win it's never expected so people tend to spend their time doing things that actually pay off. In this case, PoE is the lottery and just about any other game is the pay off.

The reason for this coming up is from the results of tonight. After 6+ hours of playing the game on my level 83 Shadow, continuously running maps I have gained a 3 chaos and a few chromatics. The rest of my resources went into attempting to 6l a chest, now counting 375. Alright one disappointment, but at least I got some drops right? A total of 1 and nothing that anyone would even bother to trade for free. Alright...but at least i gained some experience? Not even that. Two desyncs and a few 1 shots saw to that so I'm exactly where i started earlier tonight.

So what have I actually gained? Where was the progress to keep me engaged and wanting more? There is none. I have very literally spent the past 6 hours wasting my time and so I now find myself why would I want to keep doing this?

Well, I'm not quitting but i think i need a break at least. A full time job and a fiance don't appear to allow me to make the time i need to make it in this game and it's come to a head with the fact that GGG in my opinion is very clearly shooting themselves in the foot with all of their godforsaken RNG. Say it's for the hardcore players all you want, but hardcore players are a minority and this game will not survive on them alone.
D2 only lasted so long because of novelty and sticking in players' minds. No other game did what it did. Same as various versions of CS, SC:BW, SF2, WoW, Civ2, LoL etc.

PoE doesn't have novelty going for it and doesn't have that sort of mental sticking power. It doesn't matter that it's ten times the game D2 was; without being a revolution in the minds of gamers, they'll eventually move on. SC2 and WoW are seeing this right now;; SF and Civ just release frequent new versions. I'm sure PoE will see the decline too.

I can only play so much of the game before I realize that I was doing functionally the same thing in D2 nearly 15 years ago and got sick of it sometimes then too.
Ancient and unwise, SSF only since 2012
because nothing lasts forever
"
mobutu wrote:
because nothing lasts forever

Both D2 and Median kept me going for years.
Nearing the 1 year mark for PoE, and not sure if I'll keep playing much longer if certain aspects aren't addressed (not even desync related).
Many lewt.
Much desync.
Such rewarding.
Wow.
According to forum mods "sandwich" is considered an offensive word. Who knew?
Last edited by Robert_Paulson on Jan 11, 2014, 3:28:17 AM
Most ppl quitting/losing their passion for game is for same reason: desync, gambling or so called "crafting", shitty drop rates and trading. Worst part is even thou ppl are leaving/quitting ggg doesn't seem to be bothered by that so I guess they still have a lot of ppl who keep buying supporter packs. I like trying out builds, making them complete etc but I realized that's not possible in this game unless rmt.
"
Sidad wrote:
Most ppl quitting/losing their passion for game is for same reason: desync, gambling or so called "crafting", shitty drop rates and trading. Worst part is even thou ppl are leaving/quitting ggg doesn't seem to be bothered by that so I guess they still have a lot of ppl who keep buying supporter packs. I like trying out builds, making them complete etc but I realized that's not possible in this game unless rmt.

Like I previously stated, none of those are my reasons.
I keep playing, sado-masochist style.
Many lewt.
Much desync.
Such rewarding.
Wow.
According to forum mods "sandwich" is considered an offensive word. Who knew?
"
Sidad wrote:
I like trying out builds, making them complete etc but I realized that's not possible in this game unless rmt.

No shit right? I'd like to actually play the game to but GGG seems bent on crippling their game. I got a christmas bonus yet to turn in...
Lets be honest. BROKEN D3 is still 10 times better game than this one. Look at the graphics and animations. This game looks like games back in 1990...

POE is free! Ok and? Ok if you are a poor scrub, then I guess, you can play it. Otherwise its not worth it...

We have a talent tree and the freedom to build our heroes any way we want in POE...
So what? That makes it better than BROKEN D3? Not really. The gameplay in POE is dissapointing...

I prefer to wait and PAY for ros, than play this shit...

Last edited by Sunshiro27 on Jan 11, 2014, 4:29:50 AM
"
Sunshiro27 wrote:
Lets be honest. BROKEN D3 is still 10 times better game than this one. Look at the graphics and animations. This game looks like games back in 1990...

POE is free! Ok and? Ok if you are a poor scrub, then I guess, you can play it. Otherwise its not worth it...

We have a talent tree and the freedom to build our heroes any way we want in POE...
So what? That makes it better than BROKEN D3? Not really. The gameplay in POE is dissapointing...

I prefer to wait and PAY for ros, than play this shit...

this is a thread for players losing passion and not about playing the other sunken ship.
one does not hop from boat to boat.
you are here forever.
Kripp also has said that while he isn't in an ARGP mood anymore, that the continual development of this game is so good that he doubts it will last forever. And btw, that's what most people did with d2 as well.They played for a long period then stopped then went back later on.

He has been playing POE hard for 2 years....

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info