Why do some players lose their passion for PoE ?

I think PoE is in an absolutely worse situation than D3 was but in different ways.

Both games are extremely unrewarding for the time spent.

Nobody is asking for Kaom's, Shav's, BoR's to drop like candy. D2 had such a perfect mix of items, occulus, Shako's, those were plenty of powerful, always useful, and weren't stupidly rare.

The item level gating in PoE is the same exact thing as it was in D3 before they made I.lvl 63 affixes go by monster level instead of I.lvl.

The mapping system is boring.

Finding a great item in PoE is automatically diminished because now you have to go through the gigantic task of 6socketing/6-linking it. People have resorted to lotteries. Not only do you have to beat the RNG system first to get the item to drop, you have to beat it again to 6S/6L it.

It's like picture a guy coming out and saying "Congrats, you just won publishers clearing house" then when he gives you the check, an IRS official kicks you in the balls for winning.

The balance in this game is an absolute joke.
"
The same reason people lose their passion for anything. You can only throw so many hours at something before you have to step back and take a break.
Look at how many hours Krip put into PoE, is it really surprising that he needs a break? Any game that I can put over a thousand hours into, that is a pretty sound investment right there. Sometimes you just have to take a step back, and come back later.
There is only so much to do in the game, after all.

That's not the full truth, unless you are in fairy land where everything is pretty.

I lose interest for example because the game has shortcommings that are left that way, and is too heavy. There is sort of a stubborn weirdness about the development team, a pride that prevents them from making the game complete from more than a few angles. It's simple not as good as it could be despite many people wishing this was our problem, and continually pretending this is not our clarity that speaks.

Also if this game was a true successor to D2 kripp would still be playing it right now. I know the fury with which he loves D2 and while this game approaches it, it is not there. It is the same with WoW, when that shit is good enough he will never stop because he loves classic ARPG's done with the loving care similar to the old blizzard team more than anything else.

And also, this game cannot revive the interest of the people i know that loved D2, it is simple too harsh/unwelcoming. This game is best for those who want a proper ARPG so bad that they are willing to convince themselves that this is sufficient. There are some who naturally belong here, but there are also a lot of people who will awaken slowly over time from their slumber of thinking this game is rewarding/fun to play in the long run. Usually their thoughts are met with "that's your problem, you just don't belong here", which serves excellently to make people stop caring and actually leave without looking back. For the vast majority of the old ARPG community that is exactly what will happen, it is a question of time before they awaken and find out this game is bad for your life to play and made for addicts who cannot help themselves.

Too heavy, not good for freedom of life, it chains you. That is my overall complaint.

Not rewardinging enough
Takes too long time
Does not encourage making new chars in the long run (because it will take thousands of hours to gear it better than the old, unless you sell everything from your old char)
Maps are currency sink (best idea on paper // worst idea in real play (demoralizing))
Works as MMO because game is designed around group play, even endgame access is all about groupplay.
Not enough variety in non-inferior skill combinations
Sometimes your skills that could easily be fixed are left broken for months and months despite it being mentioned over and over, for no good reason.

"
My pleas to GGG:

Open up the damn maps. It is a grave mistake to have them currency sink. Make chisels drop in maps only and be the way to roll maps. End. Will stop group bias, and will encourage you to try harder map rolls because the amount of chisels is limited.

Don't try to dominate and control to achieve healthy economy. Leagues are 4 months. Learn from D2 and boost drops so you can complete characters in that time, + with extra currency from maps not being a sink you only need to boost currency drops a little further. Let go so people can have fun. So much dropped in a D2 ladder that people would give things away for free all over, and eventually near the end things had dropped enough in price for many to complete their char/chars. That created healthy memories of the community and your characters.

Change way fusing/jewellers work. Make fusing only able to add links to the longest existing chain of link. Jewellers may only add sockets. Chancee for 6L/6S unaffected just a quality of life improvement. Add a recepi, fusing/jeweller + item in vendor = remove all socket/links. Make fusing add 0.0003% success chance of 6L to item per use, which means when you have used 1k fusing on an item you have an additional 0.3% chance of success per fusing used.

These 3 things will change the experience of playing this game drastically, for the better

There is one additional thing also. To fix desync start doing many actions on the client instead of the server. Not things such as related to drops or item manipulations, so you can't dupe. But things such as making the client decide when you get hit. Doesn't matter where monsters are on server, if your client thinnks it is or is not taking damage then that will be so for the best playing experience. It will report to the server whatever numbers and the uptime of whatever buffs/debuffs you have. A warden will run that scans some clients data streams to detect inconsistencies between numbers reported and gear/buffs. So it's like if you cheat you have a chance to be caught if the warden scans your things. In any case, desync is the ultimate failure of making the player pay to prevent cheating. On paper a great idea, in reality it is the worst way you could ever deal with cheaters - making everyone pay. Mind you, duping can be prevented still by making that serverside, there is no problem in that.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Jan 24, 2014, 11:16:05 AM
Unrewarding loots

Maps are boring, not because of the concept, because the diversity of monster is never the same from a map to another... We farm ledge fell and dock because... Skeletons and we know it will always be the same layout

Maps fail at this, a player will always try to avoid its weakness when grinding... its hard when maps are unpredictable.

ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
Unrewarding loots

Maps are boring, not because of the concept, because the diversity of monster is never the same from a map to another... We farm ledge fell and dock because... Skeletons and we know it will always be the same layout

Maps fail at this, a player will always try to avoid its weakness when grinding... its hard when maps are unpredictable.

TIL things are boring because they are not always the same.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
wow
Last edited by eLFi20111 on Jan 11, 2014, 12:01:12 PM
"
Kripparian aswell: http://youtu.be/A0bsK1cMpJ8?t=7m

It looks like the addictive trait D2 had, cannot be found anymore: D2 vs PoE

IMO, some of the money should be used to make an extensive research about psychology of the player. This, or just keep hoarding money for a GGG's second game where everything would be fixed and addictive.

Psychology in poe : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/578022

So why do they lose their passion? Hard to say..

hm.. interesting, because if i lOOk to your profile you have only 3 players with level 1 :) how do you know anything about poe passion without gaming?
i mean dont missunderstand i dont hate new players, but its like here after 6 month you understood the mechanics of the game ...
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ ++HIDEOUT IMPROVEMENT THREAD: ..../view-thread/2179528...++░░░░▒▒▒▒
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by loCurnus on Jan 12, 2014, 5:39:25 PM
If we're talking about players who play 500 hours or more losing their passion, it's simply normal attrition. People lose their passion for stuff over time. It's natural.

If we're talking about people in the <20 hours played, they've just discovered that they don't like the game.

What worries me is the people in the middle. These people are potential supporters that play a character up through the game, hit a wall, and feel like the developers have played a dirty trick on them. They quit without supporting. This is the group they need to focus on retaining.
Because desync stopped my lvling.

Because GGG is in ostrich mod.

Because I'd rather wait and then come back later when some changes will be done.

It's been forever we didn't have someone from the dev team coming and discussing about certain skills or mechanics. Lots of good threads with constructive approaches, what are you waiting for GGG? I mean you love your job right? Taking 10 or 20 min whenever you can to participate in the forums is too much asked?
"well sir we know what you guys talk about, it's all about desync"
NO!!!
Skills / builds / crafting
Three subjects that evbdy talks about!!!

Pbly just another drop into the sea, I can only hope someone or something will make you react... soon!

Last edited by Hydraes on Jan 11, 2014, 12:28:34 PM
I lost my passion simply because replay value got extremely repetitive and boring. I have currency, crafted some good things, failed some crafts. But all in all, i left because it was boring.
IGN = Dearest (Warbands)
"
CirePadela wrote:

So what have I actually gained? Where was the progress to keep me engaged and wanting more? There is none. I have very literally spent the past 6 hours wasting my time and so I now find myself why would I want to keep doing this?

Me again, I couldn't help but laugh because you actually gained something!
XP for your gems :D (that's what I use to tell myself when desync killed countless hours of farm).

Cheers!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info