Why do some players lose their passion for PoE ?

I never find any good items and there's nothing else to do, no mystery.
People tired of "apocalypse" forum threads I guess.

And dont forget its a game that has a lot of item nazis in it. So ofc you will have love storys like:

"she wanted the item really bad and lived close to me and now we are married and I finally can have sex! And Sex > PoE"
"he wanted the item really bad and lived close to me and now we are married and I finally can have sex! And Sex > PoE"
Why you should try Harcore http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/209310/page/1
Last edited by tadl on Jan 11, 2014, 2:18:12 PM
"
tadl wrote:
People tired of "apocalypse" forum threads I guess.

And dont forget its a game that has a lot of item nazis in it. So ofc you will have love storys like:

"she wanted the item really bad and lived close to me and now we are married and I finally can have sex! And Sex > PoE"
"he wanted the item really bad and lived close to me and now we are married and I finally can have sex! And Sex > PoE"
I wouldnt go as far as Saying im > POE but thx XD
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
PoE needs meaningful and balanced PvP. PvP Tournaments/seasons and later PvP 4month leagues. The current endgame just gets boring after a while. Good PvP lasts forever.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
I am sure it has been said but Desync, RNG, and Crafting.
Crafting doesn't exist in POE. Gambling does...and the house always wins.

Velocireptile - I LOL'ed. Which made me fart. I wish the office were empty right now :(

Hardlicker - I had to push the dog out of the way so I could get to the sexy quilt.
Lots of good points in this thread. My biggest is the game expects me to not have a life. I could play D2, get a toon up and then it was easy to play half hour here, hour there doing runs. POE demands a time investment, and I've found I'm reluctant to do so with it being rebalanced, sometimes in fairly major ways, every couple weeks. Why sink time into Build X if it could be useless in a week or two? Why sink currency? Why commit at all?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that GGG is addressing the balance over time. But the feedback loop is way, way too short. I can't assess the patch changes, design a build, level it, equip it and enjoy it before the next balance tweak....which may or may not make all that time wasted. What I loved about D2 was dissecting the mechanics, putting together a build, and then testing it. GGG seems to be actively discouraging that to me by futzing around with the mechanics too frequently.

In games this complicated, there are just going to be flavor of the month cookie cutter builds. I'd prefer to see the mechanics rolled over and the balance tweaked when the leagues change. That way I can at least know as long as I'm in this economy if I see a cool interaction? I can work up a build for it. If it's OP? It'll get nerfed at reset and I'll do something else next season, but at least the timing is predictable.
"
Crackmonster wrote:

I laughed hard lol
No offense though it was just an imagery that relates how I feel about the dialog between players and devs. I would not bother come here criticizing GGG's actions if I didn't think PoE was a good game.

Players are tired to feel let down when they see a huge potential in a game. Like love and hate, you can go from one to another in an instant.

Cheers.
"
C0Y0T3_SLY wrote:
Lots of good points in this thread. My biggest is the game expects me to not have a life. I could play D2, get a toon up and then it was easy to play half hour here, hour there doing runs. POE demands a time investment, and I've found I'm reluctant to do so with it being rebalanced, sometimes in fairly major ways, every couple weeks. Why sink time into Build X if it could be useless in a week or two? Why sink currency? Why commit at all?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that GGG is addressing the balance over time. But the feedback loop is way, way too short. I can't assess the patch changes, design a build, level it, equip it and enjoy it before the next balance tweak....which may or may not make all that time wasted. What I loved about D2 was dissecting the mechanics, putting together a build, and then testing it. GGG seems to be actively discouraging that to me by futzing around with the mechanics too frequently.

In games this complicated, there are just going to be flavor of the month cookie cutter builds. I'd prefer to see the mechanics rolled over and the balance tweaked when the leagues change. That way I can at least know as long as I'm in this economy if I see a cool interaction? I can work up a build for it. If it's OP? It'll get nerfed at reset and I'll do something else next season, but at least the timing is predictable.

GGG is under some assumption that you can add 'difficulty' to arpgs. But you can't. Instead we get a bunch builds that feel weak vs monsters, nerfed builds that feel even weaker, and a couple of builds that work with top end gear. D3 tried this same stupidity with "MORE MONSTAR HEALTH! MOR MONSTAER DAMAGE GAGAGAGA!". Difficult is playing SC2 against someone who can punch your nuts off, not kiting monsters around and beating spike damage RNG. D2 was a cakewalk, and no one cared because every build felt powerful. Even absurdly stupid builds like Shout Barbs, Melee Sorcs, and Auradins could faceroll content blindfolded.

The game feels less arpg and more MMO when you are commonly asked "what's your main?". In a decade of D2 no one ever asked me that, because everyone "mained" like 20 powerful chars.
Forum probation for calling someone a 'troll', so I lifetime banned myself from spending money on PoE.
"
nGio wrote:
D2 was a cakewalk, and no one cared because every build felt powerful.

And this is a core problem I believe behind the Dev's mentality. I'm willing to bet on it.

Anyone that comes into this thread I'd like to ask you this- Would you have more fun mowing down enemies and feeling powerful even if it's easier to achieve or frustratingly grinding for months for a small unrewarding gain?

One of those roads is enjoyable, especially as a hobby that shouldn't eat your time like a second job. The other is PoE's current state. And personally I'd be more eager to jump in everyday if I knew I wasn't going to yell at some point to a 1shot death after several hours of farming with nothing else to show for it.
Last edited by CirePadela on Jan 11, 2014, 3:50:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info