Why do some players lose their passion for PoE ?

The thing that drove me away was the insane odds of crafting, the various currencies and trying to figure out their worth. I would've much preferred the ablity to buy all the orbs from the vendors so that at least the currencies would be stable. The forced economy isn't something I enjoyed.

I still think PoE is a great game and I enjoyed it immensely while I played but I've come to realize that it isn't for me. Rather than try and change the game through QQ threads I quietly moved on to a different game. I admire the GGG staff sticking to their guns to make this game in their own vision and not caving in to the whiny forum people.
Sound the dread alarm, through the primal body! Sound the reveille, to be or not to be. Rise! Stay the grand finale! Stay the reading of our swan song and epilogue. One drive to stay alive! Elementary, muster every fiber. Mobilize! Stay alive!
When it comes to resistances, they should rather apply a power lax with exponent between zero and one. Something like this:

Spoiler

So having some resistances will already reduce a substantial amound of elemental damage.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
Last edited by Reinhart on Jun 27, 2014, 5:22:04 PM
You could just as well ask why people lose interest in one another or why people get a divorce.
"
Peace_Frog wrote:
"
Wispo wrote:
A) too much gambling:

a1: jeweller orb should not REMOVE already existant sockets, but only adding 1 socket per orb;

a2: chromatic orb should not reroll the colours of ALL sockets, but only change the colour of ONE of them (pre-selected by player) following the colour path of the heads on the mirror that is the symbol of PoE (=red-blue-green-red-blue-green..>);

a3: fusing orb should not remove already existing links, but only add one link per orb

B) waaaaaaay too low drop rate of uniques (and the game doesn't even take in account the unique you already have self found: i have TWO identical unique helms and gloves... with such low drop rate, i would have preferred OTHER uniques in the place of the duplicate of those i already have!!!)

Combining these ideas would kill what makes this game unique. If everyone had access to all build-enabling uniques, and had the ability to maximize their skill gem potential, we would have nothing but cookie-cutter builds. Everyone would be playing a shotgunning cast-on-crit archer, or whatever the flavor of the month is. I love that GGG has held strong against making gear too accessible. Yeah, I always feel like my character isn't as strong as it could be. But once it becomes such, one loses incentive to keep playing. And then we're back to discussing what went wrong.

"
Wispo wrote:
C) shitty drops: i'm in merciless, and the entire screen is filled with white items and one/two blues. Maybe one/two yellows every hour, but obviously with shitty/too few mods (and taking into account that orbs drop so rarely, and RNG wastes them if you use them, you don't even dare to try crafting)

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Item_Rarity

"
Wispo wrote:
D) numbers doesn't say the truth: today, just for fun, i've managed to reach 73% melee block. I let me surround on purpose by 6 swordmen, without killing them. Result? More, more, MORE than a single time, they swung their blades all in a rapid row, and i got hit SIX TIMES from SIX enemies!!! This is NOT 73% block!!! This is 0% block sometimes!!!!

RNG gonna RNG.

"
Wispo wrote:
E) stupid lack of decent defenses: TONS OF CAPS. Resistances, block/spell block, evasion, dodge... ALL is capped. And, in the case of elemental damage mitigation (in a game with spikes of damage, for the record..), THESE CAPS ARE FAR TOO LOWS!!! 75% lighting resistance is too low for merciless Dominus for example, and i don't really care for the tree nodes "diamond skin" or "elemental adaptation" that raise you max elemental defense, if i must travel all over the place only for get a total of a shitty 4% more max res (and this is fault of the NERF HYSTERIA that strucked "elemental adaptation"). Nor i care about a Saffell's frame that only adds 4% (previously was 6% if i recall well.. other nerf hysteria..), if with it i cannot block attacks!!! Nor i care for elemental flasks that last a blink of an eye. And i don't care of 95% evasion, if the single hit that reaches my toon kills him!
Not every player loves to focusing on the attack, doing 50k damage per hit!!! Many players like me loves defense, and this game heavily lacks in this! Let's see a vid of another sacred monster of hack n slash with Diablo 2, Titan quest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxVpMFoc6YE

Did you see with hard work what satisfying level of defense a REWARDING game should give? And in the video is shown a mod for increasing difficulty!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5ADxfZedNk&feature=youtu.be

"
Wispo wrote:
I'm loosing all my hype on PoE, and as i see.. i'm not the only one :(

You're entitled to your opinion. But those of us still enjoying the game will probably laugh about it while we keep playing.

Laugh how much you want, i and many others really don't care of this ;) This game is shitty designed, and heavily unbalanced, and this is a matter of fact. Aside item rarity gem (i have it and use it, and i can assure you that the situation doesn't change at all), and aside a blind defense of RNG (if i have 75% block, ONLY 25% of the hits must reach me, not 100% of them.. bad design even here!!!), the game is all but rewarding. See here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_x3XgA2Ts4

5.600hp... one shotted!!! And one shotted by an ENFEEBLED Dominus (= at least, the physical part of touch of God must have been reduced in power, right?). Ok not very very high hp, but don't tell me that an experienced player like Colby has gone face to face with lvl78 Dominus without at least 75% lighting res!!! And, like another experienced guy like ZiggyD said in the comments, Colby doesn't even had shock stacks at the moment he went hit by touch of God. Now i expect some one else saying that the caps are not too low, and that the game is ok the way it is (=totally bathed in the crappiest randomness, and totally unrewardind at times, even if you have a good mastering of its mechanics).
I'm off with PoE, and with me the other friends of this and of many other complain threads (and all that have leaved the game without writing their decision, as for the record many has already leaved -said by friends before me-). I will not delete the account and maybe i will be back for act 4, hoping that something can change, but the way the game is now.. it simply doesn't really give you enough fun over lvl 60/70 IMHO, because grinding forever in the same (few) areas and killing the same (few) types of mobs only for obtaining some shitty yellow.. is all but fun
Last edited by Wispo on Jun 28, 2014, 5:53:03 AM
Well, what kills the game imho is the bots. After hundreds of hours roughly on it I learned to love the game, I really love it, I even love the RNG risk/reward/liberty the game offers. And it developps pretty well too.

What is unnacceptable are players using massively bots on this game and the economy around it, it wasn't less of a burden on D2, it's less of a burden in any recent HNS and MMOs(because good loots are for "elites" so you can bot all you want...)

GGG needs to fix it by monitoring flux, if they launch a kickstarter for that I would be the first to bid on it so I could get back on the game... ATM the game seems like it's balanced around the fact that many dedicated players use bots or pay for services that use bots. Else I would come back on it.

My last days of PoE was entering a guild, and notice that half of them was nasty botters and shared with roughly the other half who was their close buddies, happy to do so with as main argument "What will they do about it?". Well they can start by monitoring their flux.

One step forward would be to create alternative leagues where you can pay to have monitored gameplay.(meaning extra server ressources to check occurences on what ppl do) It would be more lively, more trustworthy, and real economy would happen too.

Or GGG works with bot companies and gets a cut. It seems really more likely sadly. If it was my game I would never tolerate organised abuses of this kind around it. (except for really pretty women, favors, big money maybe, I don't know, I would probably not I suppose lol)
Last edited by galuf on Jun 28, 2014, 6:08:48 AM
I hate POE, but I love POE.

It frustrates me to no end, but I can't stop playing.

The progression through Normal and Cruel is fun, maybe even part of Merciless. Regular levels bringing new talents, and regular access to new skill gems. Most of the skills are unique and fun to try to build around. The talent tree is best in class. None of it is perfect, but GGG has set a very high bar here.

Then you run into the RNG loot problems. While I have taken regular breaks, I've been playing since the early OB and have only recently cleared Merciless - by suicide running Dominus ~50 times in level 30-40 gear. People talk about 6L being inaccessible - I've never owned a 5L. I trade as little as possible - partly because I'd prefer to find my own stuff, partly because trading is a giant PITA that I don't want to deal with, and partly because the drops (currency or valuable items) aren't there to get a foot in the door.

Maps? I ran one once just to see what it was. Got wrecked of course, as expected. The way things are now I'll never see most of them, but from everyone else's complaints it sounds like running maps will just compound the problems I already have.

I played D2 exclusively for 2 years straight, and off an on for many years after. It got boring because there was nothing else to do.

I play POE for a couple months, then take a break for a couple months. It gets frustrating because there's nothing else I can do, even though further content exists.
"
Nobake wrote:
I hate POE, but I love POE.

You should try with a small closed community if you find one.(of 3-15 players)

I wouldn't have seen more if I started alone. It's not that complicated but there are some very strict things about this game you may or may not like. At your level you can already start stacking currencies and buy medium quality gear for entry level maps with ease tho.(according to you having an at least partially viable build, meaning life nodes, it's enough for 66-69 maps)
"
v1r1e wrote:
"
toyotatundra wrote:
"
Mordron wrote:

On the chapter of Desync, if you are aware that the developing philosophy used doesn't allow to reduce desync to an acceptable level why the frack tax people dying to it with 10% exp loss in merciless knowing it will take them considerable time to recoup the loss ? This is adding insult to injury.

So true. For some builds desync is even more trouble than for others, for my vaal pact life build, desync is almost an automatic death. Lost 50% XP on my lvl 81 in one week cause of desync.

I made 2 chars very different builds first ( EK crit witch) stuck at 67 cuz because of penalty and lame deaths caused by me getting teleported in bad spots and a 57 (3 x flame totem scion)stuck because mobs just kill me out of nowhere.

also another game that puts me off of this game is that its not newbie friendly.
i started a couple of months ago not only do i still concider myself a newbie (more or less) but i dont really get to interact with someone who could/would help me out.

! - and i mean help me out with nothing else but some information and willingness to answer some questions i might have occasionally...

though i agree with many of the people whose posts i read so far but this exp % tax is an over kill.

Global chat is always a good way to get help. Or gameplay help here on the forum.
"
Wispo wrote:

Laugh how much you want, i and many others really don't care of this ;) This game is shitty designed, and heavily unbalanced, and this is a matter of fact. Aside item rarity gem (i have it and use it, and i can assure you that the situation doesn't change at all), and aside a blind defense of RNG (if i have 75% block, ONLY 25% of the hits must reach me, not 100% of them.. bad design even here!!!), the game is all but rewarding. See here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_x3XgA2Ts4

5.600hp... one shotted!!! And one shotted by an ENFEEBLED Dominus (= at least, the physical part of touch of God must have been reduced in power, right?). Ok not very very high hp, but don't tell me that an experienced player like Colby has gone face to face with lvl78 Dominus without at least 75% lighting res!!! And, like another experienced guy like ZiggyD said in the comments, Colby doesn't even had shock stacks at the moment he went hit by touch of God. Now i expect some one else saying that the caps are not too low, and that the game is ok the way it is (=totally bathed in the crappiest randomness, and totally unrewardind at times, even if you have a good mastering of its mechanics).
I'm off with PoE, and with me the other friends of this and of many other complain threads (and all that have leaved the game without writing their decision, as for the record many has already leaved -said by friends before me-). I will not delete the account and maybe i will be back for act 4, hoping that something can change, but the way the game is now.. it simply doesn't really give you enough fun over lvl 60/70 IMHO, because grinding forever in the same (few) areas and killing the same (few) types of mobs only for obtaining some shitty yellow.. is all but fun

Dude was fighting one of the game's final bosses on the hardest difficulty level, and stood in his strongest attack with low life and unknown lightning resist. Add those all up, and yes, the character in that video will get one-shotted on occasion. That's not a "resists are too weak" issue, that's a "don't stand in the fire" issue.

As for your blocking dilemma, did the first hit stun/freeze you? Did you block an attack with poor block recovery, so you were open to taking six hits in a row? You can't play poorly and blame the game for being unbalanced, when other people are experiencing the same difficulties as you and winning.
Look, man. Video games are hard, okay?
I've been playing PoE for about 3 months. I can tell you right now I'm getting bored of it.

I'm not slouch gamer. Played WoW in a top 50 guild worldwide back during BC and was playing video games before Atari came around....I've seen it all. I know what works and what doesn't work.

PoE has several things going for it

1) free to play. Really not a big pro. This game is essentially Diablo 1 with better graphics and a cool tree. Sure, I had to pay $40 for the box for Diablo. I'd do that for PoE. I probably wouldn't pay for the online component beyond maybe $4.99/mo. It's not that great. I, like most gamers in my category, don't have time to play in a group and/or require the ability to stop what they are doing randomly and go AFK to deal with RL.

2) amazing skill tree. This is very attractive. But once you get into it, there isn't much meat there...everybody has already figured out the best paths for certain styles....you just need to know where to get the builds from.

3) novel currency system. Looks awesome to start. Then you realize it sucks bricks later...

The problem is that's about all the game has to distinguish itself, and those three all have fairly significant cons attached (as mentioned)

Once you start to consider the major cons, you see why this game has trouble keeping players:

1) the crafting system is broken/awful/non-existant for all but the "pro" players. I recently burned 323 jewelers and 200 fusings on an armor. I never once saw 6s (#323 was the first 5s) and never once saw 5l. This isn't acceptable. You are asking me to consume currency that I could otherwise purchase with to randomly try to make something. In real life, I would NEVER do this. In this game, well I've done it the one and only time I'll ever do it. Crafting helms/boots/gloves to exactly what you want is easy (as far as sockets/colors/links go). There is no excuse that body armor should be different.

2) the trading economy is unfair. It highly favors those who only sit all day and flip. Certainly this issue exists in other games, but I've never seen a game where that rivals the slanted economy this game presents. From the ridiculous level of current movement that happens during the day to the super-rare stuff that high-end guilds corner the market on to jack prices up, PoE has a broken economy.

3) the difficulty ramps 1/2 way through merciless and at 70 maps are too much for solo players whose lives aren't to play PoE. Don't get me started on Dominus...I don't believe he can be soloed by any appropriate level character even on Normal (This is the definition of a broken encounter...everything in a game that can be played solo should be able to be done solo by appropriately leveled and geared players)

Fixing these things are really easy, they just flip out the hard-core folks, who are the bane of online gaming everywhere:

1) Massively ramp up currency drops or massively reduce how many are needed on high end gear.
2) Put a persistent real trading system (ie one that works when I'm not online) in to balance pricing across servers/time zones.
3) Fix the difficulty issues with certain fights

There was a time when the hard-core folks playing WoW thought Blizzard was ending the world when they changed the stupid grind-fest that was BC. Last I checked, that game is still wildly popular.

Eventually GGG will figure out what Blizzard did...catering your game to the loud few who want only a precious few (who they conveniently fall into) to have all the goodies is folly from a business perspective.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info