Kripparian Is Streaming PoE Again

"
RandallPOE wrote:
I just don't get this streaming thing at all - what's the appeal of watching someone you don't know doing something as mundane as playing a computer game? Sounds even less interesting than an episode of Big Brother.

I am someone who loves to watch people playing games just as much as playing them myself. When I was a kid I would go to the arcades & would stand watching the guys playing Street Fighter or 1942 for hours. I didn't have enough pocket money to play much myself so I used to stand watching people play my fav games in the hope they said "hey buddy you can use a credit if you like" which they sometimes did. From doing this a kid I think I cultivated the enjoyment of watching others play video games & now I find it just as entertaining as watching a movie or regular tv. When my friend got his PS1 we both sat in his room playing Resident Evil, he used the controller but I was just as involved with the game by merely watching. That game scared the bejesus out of us both & I never felt like I was missing out by not controlling the character. when we got to the end we both felt like we had accomplished the game.
When I found Justin.tv about 3years ago I was immediately hooked on the gaming section. I can watch people play games I like or games I am yet to try. I can research games before I buy them & can essentially demo games that I wouldn't normally play. To me watching people play games is not only entertaining but has saved me money & also made me interested in games I wouldn't normally even look at. I like the chat room for added interactivity also.

You may not get it but the fact that Justin.tv made Twitch as the gaming section dwarfed the rest of the site & still continues to go from strength to strength means I am not the only on out there who enjoys watching people game.
I love US Cable TV. It's one of the highlights of my increasingly rare trips over here. Back in Australia, we have maybe...16 free channels, and several of those are just HD copies of the base 4-5. Needless to say, I download a shit-tonne of stuff and collect tv show dvd/blurays sets.

Sure, Cable isn't 'free' but just about everyone over here has it in some form. It just hasn't taken off in the same way in Australia. People get it and then moan about how many irrelevant channels there are.

What I love about US Cable TV is just how important everything seems to be to each channel. Whether it's food, weather, a particular sport, selling cars, or tattooing, each channel makes it very clear that THIS SHIT IS IMPORTANT. There's dramatic music, updates, a variety of shows based around that channel's given theme. It's fucking brilliant, because I tell you, I really couldn't give a shit about tattooing but at 2am the other night, Ink Master had me hooked.

What's my point here? Simple -- ever since the Big Brother phenomenon, we have been addicted to the idea of the unscripted meta-game. Of course, watching a bunch of piss-drunk young dickheads flirt and whinge 24/7 isn't exactly fulfilling, so we have things like Masterchef, The Biggest Loser, Storage Wars, and yes, Ink Master. We're no longer content to watch shows that show us how to do things. We are utterly thrilled by the 'real-life' drama behind it.

All well and good, but when you throw streaming technology in the mix, suddenly anyone can create that meta-game. And if that's true, then anyone lucky or talented enough has a shot at celebrity.

Without the specific structure of competition, challenge and elimination to escalate the drama, streams of people doing 'their things' for hours on end are also not unlike talkback radio, where one person has the mic and while others can have a say, that one person ultimately has the kill switch. And does anyone wonder why some shock jocks have spectacularly tumescent egos?

The same inflation of 'importance' I mentioned above cannot help but be intensified on the internet, which is again part of why I quit this monster in the first place. I'd feel pretty bad caring more about something or someone than they themselves do, and I think that happens here a lot. No, not more. Differently. A different strata of care. A sort of ankle-biting level of passion that epitomises the term 'fanboy'.

Problem there is if all your teeth can reach is the ankles and the giants are on the move, you really can't latch onto one for very long.

A good thing US TV has so many channels, so many giants. SO many ankles to nip at.

But at least it's a fairly easy-to-grasp number. Online, you have an almost infinite amount of would-be giants dangling their ankles into the water.

And I don't think anyone really knows for sure what dictates which ankle will prove satisfying to the fickle tastes...but I do think that when it happens, a clever giant figures out precisely how to keep 'em biting.

And I do think Kripparian is one clever fellow.

Although Ink Master is definitely more fun to watch. That shit's, like, real yo.

Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Predecessor, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Deep Rock Galactic/Remnant 2 (MP w mates);
Tablet - - Buriedbornes 2, Dawncaster, Loop Hero, Fate GO;
and,
PC - - Word and winamp ~_^
"
alaizon wrote:

Totalbiscuit, whilst covering a very broad spectrum of games every day, is another former wow commentator that is now turned game reviewer, who allows himself to be *paid* for reviews on specific games (eg. Planetside 2). However, of these 3, Kripp is the only commentator that is actually *playing* the game hardcore and not just giving peripheral reviews. If you don't believe me, just compare Totalbiscuit's review of Path of Exile with Kripp's youtube review of Path of Exile. TB spends his time describing the user interface and gameplay. Kripp leveled his Hunter all the way...In this sense, what TB covers horizontally in breath across multiple games, Kripp performs in depth VERTICALLY - Kripp deep dives into the guts of the games he plays.

I want to point out that TB's WTF is... is NOT a true review show. It is a show built around first impressions with a game. TB knows he does not go into enough depth to give a "true review" so he boots the game up and gives his thoughts while fooling around with the game for an hour or so.

To put up a real review the reviewer must spend a vast amount of time with the game to determine a great deal about it.
Last edited by monopoman on Nov 27, 2012, 1:45:30 AM
"
RandallPOE wrote:
I just don't get this streaming thing at all - what's the appeal of watching someone you don't know doing something as mundane as playing a computer game? Sounds even less interesting than an episode of Big Brother.

its like watching football on tv (you watch someone else playing something) except i will never get a chance to play in the NFL while i can watch a stream and see that kripparian isnt very good at poe because X,Y

i can relate to the stream because i ve been there too,unlike proffesional sports,i can even point out mistakes and have direct chat with streamer - i cant do that with athletes
some of my IGNs:

EKDDtemplar/DualTotemSparkfotm/jesusbestjewever/EverhardDick/SilSol/SilSol_eight/SilSol_seven/
SilSol_ten/FiretemplarwithAA/JesusFacebreaker/SilSol_three/SilSol_two/grumpycatbestgodever
Totally Back ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuR2dwui0cg&feature=g-u-u
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
good stuff. anyone who brings much well-deserved publicity to POE and increases the playerbase further will always be welcomed by me
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
"
Invalesco wrote:
good stuff. anyone who brings much well-deserved publicity to POE and increases the playerbase further will always be welcomed by me

Indeed, and I would of never known about this game several months ago if not for Kripparian, and am so pleased for it. It is also converting more and more people to the game, if you watch his stream for awhile there are some haters but more players are taking a huge interest in it.

Not only this, he is thoroughly enjoying the game right now, he even made a new youtube video just about PoE and how he cannot wait for Open Beta. Good stuff.
Charan, you know why there are so many reality shows on cable?

It costs a quarter as much per hour to produce a reality show than a drama series.

So little production work involved. A camera crew follows your cast around collecting tons of footage. Production just clips out vaguely interesting pieces, then scripts interviews around the edges of them. Pay a keyboardist and a DJ to lay down some original tracks, done (hell, not even sure if they go that far!)

They literally broadband that junk because it costs nothing to produce, and the premium for ratings doesn't change. A show can stay on air with barely any viewers. Somehow, though, every once in a while one of these shows gets INSANE ratings. In example, jersey shore; why is that show so popular? Even being forced to listen for more than 5 minutes makes me want to stab out my eardrums.

OK, anyway, back on topic: success at streaming has to do with how many people relate to your personality. Can't really comment on that one.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Kripparrian has a special personality.

He is wholly unlike other gamers who are unable to coherently express themselves.

Kripp is clear, concise and sharp. That is all.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/hrw55.gif[/img]
Does a thread about some random person nobody cares about really get 11 pages of people fighting on here? I thought the community was more mature than that.

Just watch it or don't watch it. If he helps GGG make some bucks then that is good for all of us.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info