[Stream]First Impression - Bored

Second level, external pilot-test of a product (usually a software) before commercial quantity production.
True

At the beta test stage, the product has already passed through the first-level, internal pilot-test (alpha test) and glaring defects have been removed.
The game itself works. Systems that were flawed to the point of being inoperative have been fixed. Missing/unimplemented systems don't count, as the finished game could be built off of what we now have. The things you mentioned either aren't necessary for a finished product, are just minor texture or animation additions, or are opinions.

But (since the product may still have some minor problems that require user participation) it is released to selected customers for testing under normal, everyday conditions of use to spot the remaining flaws.
Exactly what we're doing.

You're just stretching the definition and condition of the game to fit your view. Even if I'm wrong in that aspect, alpha and beta phases aren't true and false states of being. The company creating the product are the only ones who can decide what stage the product is in. It's not like a baby is a baby, an adult is an adult. They say it's beta phase, therefore it is. They wouldn't have made it so if they believed the condition of the core game was too poor for beta.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
Beros wrote:
... the skill system requires you to have VAST knowledge and understanding of the game otherwise you are screwed when you place your points.

You say this as if it's a bad thing o.O

I want interesting builds that may or may not work, that's part of the fun of the game! If it doesn't work, start another character. The joy of playing a game should be by playing it, not by getting to the highest level and stagnating.
"
Psychofrump wrote:
"
Beros wrote:
... the skill system requires you to have VAST knowledge and understanding of the game otherwise you are screwed when you place your points.

You say this as if it's a bad thing o.O
It's funny because all the information you need to get started is right here on the forum. The Classes and Skills links have tons of info on what's available, the Beta Manifesto tells you what's broken and how things should work, and Dev Diaries give in-depth looks at the thought process involved in creating the skill system.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Aug 31, 2011, 8:41:10 PM
Perhaps, but it still doesn't change the fact that the game is repetitive after a couple hours of playing.

And to my point, the only thing I care for is the PvP, which is not implemented in the game, I don't see how you can run a beta without that core part of the game, but that's just me (skill balancing, etc).
PvP is coming, so it'll only miss a few weeks of the beta.
For a Game company consisting of what? 15 dudes and dudettes...they are doing great

Yeah..the game really needs alot of work..its just begun

Sure Beta..could be more refined before this closed beta started ...BUT

I honestly think they want player feedback..to let us Mold the game that they invisioned

Perhaps the reason they have communicated with everyone so far...they want and Need our help to make their game hella fun

and thats why I log on and kill stuff...so they can make it better in the long run
Doodads
This is beta, and is a pretty much D2-3 clone, repetition is expected.
Timer: Tic-toc-tic-toc...
Any definition of 'Beta Test' generalized and subjective. There is no law stating that a software has to be at any level to be considered in Beta. And there is no law saying things cant be changed because its in beta. They could have 2 lines of code and release something they call beta. Yes the main point is to find errors. But GGG isnt a typical company. They say they want user feed back so they can make adjustments. Oh and it FREE!
This is a 'real' closed beta... it's literally just out of alpha.

Alpha tested core functionality of the engine, and that's pretty much it... closed beta is for testing EVERYTHING ELSE.

Almost every game that has entered 'Closed Beta' in the last 5-10 years has been a 'release candidate' and not a real beta by any stretch of the imagination.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
Beros wrote:
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
You quoted the definition of "beta test" as a way to show this game isn't ready for a beta. You failed in that comparison, because it fits exactly into the definition you quoted.

Not really, you cant sell items, you cant pvp, the passive skill tree is filled with temp icons, the bosses don't have animations or special abilities, the regular monsters are bland, grouping is not setup, its a alpha at best. The pure definition of beta usually means that code is locked down and only minor bug fixes are being worked in.

This game is missing tons of content...

I beta tested the latest expansion to WoW last year. Testers were allowed to test zones as they rolled them out. Testers were level capped throughout the test until the final zones were finished. Testers were unable to PvP in many previously released PvP specific zones and the PvP was unbalanced terribly. This is a wildly popular big title game by a premier developer I'm talking about.

I actually wonder if you know what you're talking about.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info