[Stream]First Impression - Bored

Stop quoting the literal definition of a beta. It doesn't work that way. You realise how silly you sound saying that menu detail and animations aren't a case of finishing touches? zooming out isn't a case of a finishing touch? Trading isn't even implemented yet, PvP isn't implemented. Don't be silly, you're expecting the game to be practically finished in a closed beta. You keep mentioning the skill tree and i think if you read the manifesto you would see they plan to alter that as well as other things. Personally i would prefer if they didn't so that it takes some time to figure stuff out to a good level rather than games being so simple these days that you can pick them up for the first time and understand everything instantly
"
Beros wrote:

I think I broke my right click on my mouse from spamming the only ability I ever have to use.

I find this to be a problem as well. I guess I didn't realize it at the time, but D2 and other games of this genre are really the same... you use 1 skill, the entire game.

I hope that GGG can innovate some combination skills that put some decision making into combat that makes you more effective than spamming one skill.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
Beros,

I am actually pretty upset that Beros posted this. He has watched my stream a couple times, and was really an active participant in the dicussions. He put together some really great posts, both about the stream and about his thoughts on other topics, and then he quickly passes judgement on a BETA BUILD of Path of Exile...

I must say, all of your complaints are being addressed currently, and monster Variation, if you had taken time to look at the Beta Art threads, is something that Russel is addressing...

Sad day to see someone you thought would make a great beta tester post a thread that offers up complaints and no suggested solutions. Very dissapointed.

Mordliss
-------------------------------------------------------------
Beta Tester Since: v0.9.0
Proud Host of Aug 2011 Fan Art Contest
-------------------------------------------------------------
Mord, There is plenty to say for what is right, but the purpose of this is to address what is wrong. I have played MANY ARPG's, I know how they work, but my interest level quickly dropped. I understand the point of a beta, yes its not a finished product, but it is suppose to be close to one, there are MAJOR key factors missing from this BETA.

I found myself spamming the same skill for 25 levels without ever using anything but support gems, because there was no need. I just got bored extremely fast.

I modified my initial post to say some of the good I like, but there is a lot missing from beta that can change the game entirely, and that in my eyes is not what a beta is about.

Also, stop working and stream more.
Last edited by Beros on Sep 1, 2011, 12:22:45 PM
"
Beros wrote:
I understand the point of a beta, yes its not a finished product, but it is suppose to be close to one,

To be more exact, this is closed beta, just out of alpha. Most real alphas are just frameworks with placeholder art...

POE's alpha was further than that, but their closed beta is closer to what 'closed betas' used to be, like 15 years ago...

It is not a beta as you are defining it, and furthermore it's in a closed beta stage. Furthermore, real beta's are FAR away from complete... any reasonably complete game is more accurately called an RC (release candidate,) which is what you have been describing.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
This thread bores me.
Fourier - Level 41 Templar (Hardcore League)
FourierII - Level 55 Duelist (Hardcore League)
HC Ladder Rank: 7
"
zeto wrote:

I find this to be a problem as well. I guess I didn't realize it at the time, but D2 and other games of this genre are really the same... you use 1 skill, the entire game.

The single click is good for when one is learning the subtleties of a game and I have no problems with classes like that. I started Diablo 2 with a paladin that had skills all over the place. After a while I was a teleporting necromancer with bonespears, curses and corpse explosions everywhere. My revived meat-shield kicked ass and so did I. I got better at complicated builds and the foundation was laid with the repetitive click-click-click.
"
Earland wrote:
"
zeto wrote:

The single click is good for when one is learning the subtleties of a game and I have no problems with classes like that. I started Diablo 2 with a paladin that had skills all over the place. After a while I was a teleporting necromancer with bonespears, curses and corpse explosions everywhere. My revived meat-shield kicked ass and so did I. I got better at complicated builds and the foundation was laid with the repetitive click-click-click.

definitely agree it should be where people start.. but ideally it isn't the end of the road.
Diablo Classic I recall had freakin' clusters of barrels that would flash-fry a lowbie with a single blast. Death really was just around the corner if you were a slob.

Diablo 2 through Normal was a bit of a joke. Maybe Duriel would beat you up but quite often it was Big D who would lightning hose you and make you wonder where you went wrong. Then it was back to the usual rank-and-file baddies.

I think that perhaps PoE should aim for Natural Selection a bit more than Monty Hall. ;)

Edit: Spelling
Last edited by Earland on Sep 1, 2011, 12:54:10 PM
"
zeto wrote:
"
Beros wrote:
I understand the point of a beta, yes its not a finished product, but it is suppose to be close to one,

To be more exact, this is closed beta, just out of alpha. Most real alphas are just frameworks with placeholder art...

POE's alpha was further than that, but their closed beta is closer to what 'closed betas' used to be, like 15 years ago...

It is not a beta as you are defining it, and furthermore it's in a closed beta stage. Furthermore, real beta's are FAR away from complete... any reasonably complete game is more accurately called an RC (release candidate,) which is what you have been describing.

Understood, most large gaming companies Open Beta is basically the finished game, and more for marketing and hooking players to buy it post beta. Closed Beta's generally have the core components furnished though.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info