pabrt's Critical Mass Discharger 1.2 (molten strike coc)

Dude, thanks for sharing your build.

btw, it's so hard to find a 5L Voll's Protection these days :(
I'm using a 4l and need a 5l asap.
"
sheunghang wrote:
"
pabrt wrote:
Disembowling only affects your double strike :)

Also I use level 5 double strike for the reduced mana cost.

I am thinking of this: If we take "mind drinker", the node let us drain 2% of physical damage as mana, should we level up double strike then? We might have a relative higher damage overall and the mana drained will be effective than have a lower mana cost on low-level double strike?

A bit messy but hope you can understand what I am trying to express.

My CI version of your discharger is currently Level 56 but still very weak due to low-ES and crit rate at this level. Its really a nightmare to level up this character (Group with Posion arrow + fire trap without a single life-node until level 53). Stuff might get better when I get more crit node and can leech back my ES.

Here is my tree:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAAecFfQ5IEHsRLxGWEuEVIBjbGlUc3CFgKLUppSo4Kk0rCizpLag26DvhPydAoEZxRwZKyE4qVupbr19qYSFjQ2SjbRlwUnDVdPF_xoLkgwmIa4qvkBGTJ5_LoqOi6qcrpzSxkLQMtMW297fWvjq-vMBRwQDBxcHzwuzDbdsa21ndDeL344TsGO9O8uH1Sw==

Last but not least, I am still considering which is better? Power charges or endurance charge on merciless? Seems that usually discharge will be unleashed when there is 3-5 charges and seldom you will see 6 charges on you.

I understand what you mean :). I think to use a high level double strike, you would need a very strong physical dagger to make it worth the mana cost increase. Also, it's probably best to keep enough mana to use 2 double strikes without any regen or leech, to account for accuracy and evasive mobs. For a high rank double strike, it is harder to afford 2 in a row without leeching.

I think the CI version takes really long to become good, so keep at it!

I took the power charge from merciless bandits, but I think endurance might be better at endgame. On the other hand I don't think it matters too much which one you take, seeing as endgame you often will have 3 charges at most on single target before discharging.

"
Marcio44 wrote:
Dude, thanks for sharing your build.

btw, it's so hard to find a 5L Voll's Protection these days :(
I'm using a 4l and need a 5l asap.

Yeah it's tough to play without a 5l for this build, good luck man!
Last edited by pabrt on Nov 25, 2013, 2:39:11 PM
"
pabrt wrote:
What you are describing is the same thing I was; cyclone procs a lot on packs. This has nothing to do with reliability.

Instead I am referring to the chance to crit rather than chance to cast on crit. Cyclone + Multistrike will roll the crit for all 3 attacks, meaning you either get tons of discharges or 0.

The build scales our double strike attack speed to make the animation shorter, meaning we reroll the crit roll much faster, resulting in much more reliable discharges. The only way to make your cyclone animation faster is to get more move speed or only click very short distances, which costs an impossible amount of mana. This means in order to use cyclone you are locked into each crit roll for a very long time, which is extremely dangerous.

When discussing reliability what we're talking about is always getting results that will not stray far from the average. If I use double strike, I will get a reliable average amount of discharges over the time spent attacking because I am rolling many crit rolls to average out the 5% chance not to crit. Cyclone rolls far fewer crit rolls, so it has results that vary wildly and are the opposite of reliable, as it is always gated behind the 95% crit chance cap.

Double Strike only rolls crit once for its two hits. So that's one crit roll for six hits of Double Strike/Multistrike.

Cyclone hits twice per spin, so it is essentially an aoe Double Strike, but it also has an inherent attack speed bonus associated with the skill. This is easy to illustrate, just look at your attack speed with DOuble Strike, then equip Cyclone and look at your attack speed.

They both have the same mechanics, except the difference is Cyclone is aoe and it has an inherent attack speed bonus. So if one is aoe (more Cast on Crit/Discharges) and attacks faster (more crits/minute), wouldn't that make it more reliable?
Last edited by seiferoth10 on Nov 25, 2013, 6:09:18 PM
Yes, double strike also rolls once per activation. However, one is able to activate double strike more than cyclone, making it more reliable.

The key fact is that you reroll your crit faster based on your attack speed using double strike. Double strike will perform all 6 hits very fast and then you reactivate the attack, causing another roll. For instance, looking at my IAS, I am rolling ~2 crit rolls a second, averaging out the minimum 5% failure chance.

Cyclone does not get more crit rolls/sec based on IAS. Instead, IAS will increase the amount of value you get IF you crit on your one crit roll. Cyclones animation is the same duration no matter your attack speed, as it is based on your movement speed and the relative distance you choose to cyclone. Thus, cyclone will often get less than one crit roll a second. In a practical sense you can observe this when you cyclone and sometimes "nothing happens" for a few seconds.

Of course you can use cyclone like double strike in terms of crit rolls by clicking very short distances with high move speed. You will have to support hundreds of mana a second, though, which is nigh impossible with my version of the build. One is probably possible but IMO wouldn't be worth the nodes to support the mana.
Last edited by pabrt on Nov 25, 2013, 6:50:36 PM
Did some testing to help Jabr0ni and whoever else can't get a voll's devotion. Was able to faceroll a dominus run, the trash wasnt much slower but dominus himself was a little slow vs. my normal speed. The important thing I noticed was that I wasn't capping my lifesteal with a 20q life leech gem (most noticeably against his machine gun lightning attack and corrupted blood), meaning a non voll's devotion build would need to invest into some spell damage nodes to reach max leeching potential.

Overall it seems to work without the amulet, although it loses a chunk of damage that has to be made up in passives.
Last edited by pabrt on Nov 25, 2013, 11:38:12 PM
I am currently using this passive setup:
CI Discharge

It's working great. Constantly looking for more upgrades though. My current gear:

I have a mana flask instead of the Ruby flask since I cannot sustain Double Strike perfectly yet. Need a better phy-roll on dagger.

Suggestions on how to improve the passive setup or gear is most welcome.
Last edited by Ravengaard on Nov 26, 2013, 10:33:18 AM
"
pabrt wrote:
Did some testing to help Jabr0ni and whoever else can't get a voll's devotion. Was able to faceroll a dominus run, the trash wasnt much slower but dominus himself was a little slow vs. my normal speed. The important thing I noticed was that I wasn't capping my lifesteal with a 20q life leech gem (most noticeably against his machine gun lightning attack and corrupted blood), meaning a non voll's devotion build would need to invest into some spell damage nodes to reach max leeching potential.

Overall it seems to work without the amulet, although it loses a chunk of damage that has to be made up in passives.

It may sound cheap, but could you please put up such tree? :P
Last edited by Clarks on Nov 26, 2013, 11:27:14 AM
Last edited by dragonfroid on Nov 26, 2013, 12:18:01 PM
Frenzy nodes are not useless if you use Blood Rage...
Well here to post my success story, or experience running this build so far.

Current build progression
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAAAYDlgV9DkgRlhUgFfYc3B6UJDwmlSepKaUqCypNLOktRzGeNZI7KD8nRnFJUUrITeNOKlBCU7hVS1bqWm1br2BDYnlirGegaj9te249bqpwUnBWcNV-WX_Ggh6C5IMJhVWHdohCiPGJ04qvjDaQEZAbkyeaE52jnaqmV6c0p1ysP6xZtAy1SLXyvrzAUcHF0O7WndsL29TcV90N44TnY_Id8-r3o_yr_MX-jw==

Gear
Spoiler

Stats
Spoiler
Defense
Health 2408 (on the low side, working towards picking up the life nodes)
Armor 6293 (grace+determination) | 14,944 with granite+sapphire evasion bonus
All resists 75 (chaos is -60.. lol)

Offence
Attack speed 5.99
82% accuracy
60.6% crit chance
4% mana leech
Double strike 2169
Discharge Any where from 1700~4000

So far I've been doing maps since I hit 60 (about 10% xp from 70 now). They've been pretty easy for the most part. I was using a blue dagger that had 60% spell crit and something like a 30 phys% roll on it then I managed to buy my current dagger which was a huge upgrade. It solved a lot of my issues with mana with the higher base damage I can sustain doublestrike without issue. With my chaos so low bosses that do chaos really, really screw me quite badly with my piddly life pool. I have noticed that most map bosses that are melee tend to hit me pretty hard. Even at 14k armor and enfeeble I still take 600~800 hits fairly regularly. My next big step is finish grabbing life nodes and possibly look towards getting high life crit rings and getting some better gloves and boots. Not sure if I'd be able to squeeze enough chaos resist onto those piece to fix my negative resistance since I've just about blown all my currency getting to where I am.

All in all it's been very fun and satisfying to play. Seeing discharge popping 10~20 times in a row never ceases to amuse me.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info