Computer Shutting Down

"
TheBobRoss wrote:
And all we're asking is for them to look into what's "poking" our computers that they obviously put into place in one of the updates. Because the game had worked fine for my computer for the as four years.

They didn't put anything in different. That's the point.

If you look back into the history, people have been reporting this problem for YEARS... and it's always after "some patch"... but that doesn't actually mean anything at all. Patch has nothing to do with it in most cases as this time for you it was the most current patch. The person before you was the patch before that, and so on.

It has nothing to do with that.
"
Drakier wrote:

Actually, it cannot.

One is the problem and the other is the symptom. PoE is just poking the system in a way it doesn't like.... but ultimately it is a problem somewhere within the PC itself that causes it to reboot when poked like PoE is doing.

That sentences make no sense together. Which protection Layer are you talking about? Be more specific if you know you are right please..
DirectX has no protection layers ontop, it directly talks to the driver (hence the name).. and PoE is most likely not written in a language with a garbage collector, but has it's own memory management, which can have (easier) stack overflows etc., additionally different hardware acts different, so as I said there is an infinite number of bugs which can happen..
"

That sentences make no sense together. Which protection Layer are you talking about? Be more specific if you know you are right please..
DirectX has no protection layers ontop, it directly talks to the driver (hence the name).. and PoE is most likely not written in a language with a garbage collector, but has it's own memory management, which can have (easier) stack overflows etc., additionally different hardware acts different, so as I said there is an infinite number of bugs which can happen..

Parameters/buffers are validated both at the client subsystem layer (e.g, Win32 API for the Windows subsystem) and are further validated upon system service dispatch after switching into kernel mode. The latter cannot be circumvented.

It is impossible for a userland process to directly cause a BSOD.
"The problem is there ARE secure netcodes" -- Pewzor
Basically what Emjayen said... in addition to Stack and Buffer Overflows don't cause PCs to reboot. They cause software to abort and crash the application... not all of windows.
Same problem every other game in the world works fine.
Similar problem,

Computer doesn't fully shut down, but i lose all video output to the screen. Sometimes it will keep running in the background (as I can still hear TeamSpeak in the background after about 10 seconds after the crash)

I was told that shadows in PoE aren't well optimized so I tried to turn it down and hope it was just a conflict with my drivers, but unfortunately that didn't change anything.

Really hope this gets fixed soon.
One must ask at this point in the thread, "What do all of the people having problems share in common?" The answer is that their computer is shutting down during POE only. I am having the same issues. There must be a fix other than hardware because the problem only occurs during POE play. If any of my hardware devices were failing, then the restarts would occur when not playing POE. I tried turning down graphics settings and POE locked up and logged me out. This was absolutely not a hardware issue. I will attempt to apply these changes again later, but for now I will play a different game that doesn't give me problems.
The problem is OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal if you are using ATI cards.

OpenAL32 was designed by Nvidia, and as such it's designed to mess with ATI sound processing. If you play on a desktop, switch out for an Nvidia, and many of your issues will go away.
If this can help someone :

My computer was shutting down playing PoE, only PoE. Sometimes BSOD, sometimes only restart. I reinstalled PoE, updated my drivers, turned the graphics down, disabled the sound, reformatted, tested with another graphic card and RAM without success. The problem was my power supply. I swicthed it with another power supply (same model) from an identical PC. My computer was not crashing anymore and the other one was (still only while playing PoE). The power supplys are both 2 years old, but mine was causing problem.

"
The problem is OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal if you are using ATI cards.

OpenAL32 was designed by Nvidia, and as such it's designed to mess with ATI sound processing. If you play on a desktop, switch out for an Nvidia, and many of your issues will go away.

You REALLY need to stop spreading this around, and do a little more research first.

OpenAL is designed by Creative Labs and is for AUDIO... You're confusing it with OpenCL which was designed by Nvidia.

OpenAL has NOTHING to do with AMD/ATI video problems, and PoE doesn't directly use OpenCL.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info