Computer Shutting Down

While playing Path of Exile, my computer will completely shut down. This has only been happening since the release patch and only happens while playing Path, about 15-30 minutes into playing computer just shuts off. This is not overheating, after the first time it happened, I have been monitoring my temps on my 2nd monitor while playing, there is nothing getting too high, GPU ~ 60C and CPU gets to 50C. I have played some other games for a few hours and this is not an issue.

This did not happen before this patch. As far as I can tell it is not an ability or zone, 2 shutdowns in act 2 and 2 in act 3.
Last bumped on Dec 1, 2017, 5:16:20 PM
I am also having this issue and would love to know whats going on.
Is it producing Blue Screen crashes or anything similar? You can check by running a program called BlueScreenView and see if there are any listed crashes in there, and if they correspond to a crash/reboot that you have encountered.

If so, please post the results of that blue screen and we can look to see if there are any known causes for that particular crash to get it sorted for you. Could be a driver problem, but it's hard to say for sure which without more crash information.

You can also check the Windows Error Log in the Event Viewer and see if anything shows up in there which corresponds to a crash of the PC.
Quick update, I had a couple of sessions where my computer didn't shut off for maybe an hour or hour and half.

At first I thought it may be because I added -swa -gc 2 in my steam launch options. But I think they may not even be working because this time around I wanted to try -nosound, so I put it in the launch options but my game runs with sound. Am I adding it wrong?

"-nosound -gc 2" is what I have there without the quotes.
Anyone able to get the commands to work in steam?
"
kapers wrote:
Quick update, I had a couple of sessions where my computer didn't shut off for maybe an hour or hour and half.

At first I thought it may be because I added -swa -gc 2 in my steam launch options. But I think they may not even be working because this time around I wanted to try -nosound, so I put it in the launch options but my game runs with sound. Am I adding it wrong?

"-nosound -gc 2" is what I have there without the quotes.

pretty sure that nosound is supposed to be added as --nosound not -nosound
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Oct 30, 2013, 8:31:18 PM
A couple of times my computer has made a very particular beep sound while playing PoE that it has previously only made when doing an auto shutdown from an overheat, but it didn't actually shutdown and wasn't overheating. I have had a couple BSOD and a couple times when trying to quit the game my computer has locked up and I have gotten a message saying it recovered from a serious error and report to microsoft.
The game will not cause a PC to shut off without warning or a shutdown process. If your PC goes from on to completely off in a split second this is a hardware issue most likely.
Vengeance of the Fallen
"
SoulForge wrote:
The game will not cause a PC to shut off without warning or a shutdown process. If your PC goes from on to completely off in a split second this is a hardware issue most likely.

You know there are a few people who keep telling me this but then why over the last week has my computer shut down completely only when playing path of exile (anywhere from 15 minutes in to a few hours in) and it works perfectly fine with every other game I throw at it, doesn't matter how long I play them. I am 100% sure Path of Exile is causing this, most likely reacting badly with some hardware I have, but like I mentioned before this only started with new release patch I was able to play the game perfectly before that.

I will try --nosound to see if that changes anything for me.

Also to the person that talked about overheating error without overheating that is interesting. I have monitored my temperatures and they are not above normal but the shutoff does seem like something that would happen with overheating.
I'm almost positive it has something to do with your Graphics card not getting enough power when it loads the characters at the beginning.

Someone was able to fix this by disabling Shadows, so there's less to render. Generally what causes a spontaneous shut down is a voltage/current spike or drainage in the motherboard, so there's the possibility your Graphics cards spikes in power for a split second to trigger it.

It is a hardware issue, but it's caused by the software configurations of the game. I never get this issue when I play DotA 2.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info