The inevitable has happened...

"
"
"
lolz whine more fgt

Abbreviating the word does not lessen the insult. However, I thank you for proving the point further.

It wasn't meant to lessen the insult, nor prove a point. Just spreading straight-up, good ol' internet hate

Epic first post, amirite?

No, you're not right. Welcome to the Path of Exile boards. Please keep it civil. Adult language is fine, personal attacks are not. This is apparently something the 'internet' has forgotten.

Not this corner of the internet, friend.

___

Dear OP,

I totally see where you're coming from (needless to say, if you've seen any of my other posts on the matter). As whiteboy stated, in-game chat moderation is coming, and I can only hope that GGG (3G's a phone thingy, isn't it? G cubed?) chooses people who are up to what is genuinely a monumental task of round-the-clock chat moderation.

That said, there are other measures coming. For a start, private leagues will have their own totally separate global chats. I've been asked by some players to run a Roleplay league, for example, where I and others (hopefully) will have the power/responsibility to ensure the chat is all 'in-character'. There's no reason why this same level of filter can't apply to people who just want to run leagues with looser restrictions.

Secondly, the chat itself is going to be segregated. There should be guild chat tabs, and hopefully GGG will give us the ability to create our own -- in essence, private channels.

Global Chat as it stands right now is groaning mightily under the weight of an influx of players. It was designed for a true Closed Beta, and until a month ago, regularly sustained maybe...200-300 people.

But chat changes are considered 'quality of life' by GGG, and rightfully so -- act 3, pvp, etc etc...the things that absolutely must go in before the game can enter Open Beta. And I'm already nigh blue in the face reminding people that Open Beta *is* where most of the changes we want will or can happen.

Finally, know that you can hit f8 at any time, crop the screenshot and send it to support@grindinggear.com to report offensive names and players. You can also PM me or any other mod if you have specific issues with anyone on the forum.

Thanks again for making the post. Sooner or later we may have to start closing these, because they're getting a bit repetitive, but that doesn't in any way mean I don't see the validity of them.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Roleplay league? Interesting.

Moderated chat sounds wonderful.
Open beta is still BETA.
"
MorriganGrey wrote:
Roleplay league? Interesting.

Moderated chat sounds wonderful.

Yeah, some folks were getting all misty-eyed about the RP on EQ1 and DAoC, IRC etc...and I figured, well, I don't RP anymore but I'd happily set up and help run an RP-centric league. Kind of like an ex-alcoholic running a pub, I guess. ^_^

Moderated chat isn't an if, it's a when. GGG will need to nut out some serious, hard-nosed rules (something like a EULA) before doing so, however, else we may have 'cowboys' making arbitrary decisions, which already occurs on occasion with the forum.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
To be honest, I rather have the chat filled with troll answers or jokes then for it to be spammed by an automated bot from some obscure gold(currency) selling website.
rather have some trolls and funny jokes in chat than bot.
If you feel offended by others , ignore the player, or leave the chat btw.
You gonna cry once game comes out of beta btw. And why u feel insulted from someone who say something other interwebz? Lol
EJRVBÑJKSBVÑERJVBÑJWERBVÑRWEJFVCÑIERVGLÑIJESFDBVIEWRGICVL3WEGRDVICWDSBCVIJWDBCVWIJDECVILDBWLDEJCHBVWLIDECGWLDICHYVGLWDICHLWDECHVW
DEVGERGVERGWWFVEFVWWEDQWEFCDWEFCWEFVCWEFCWEFWEFWEFWREGFRWREGFW
Last edited by KopaKabana on Aug 10, 2012, 11:36:49 PM
Last night there was a offensive dude who wouldn't stop everyone and I mean everyone told him to stop..... Samantha muted him and everyone clapped ..... so well there you go
While I will agree with Charan, and GGG about chat moderation being a 'Quality of Life' aspect, I do hope it is reconsidered as such.

There is no doubt that chat is currently under barrage of player influx within a medium that was not intended as such. And yes, these posts are becoming all too common.

But this is also a very good sign of the issue.

While chat moderation may not be at the top of the list, and the issue may seem exaggerated simply due to the extreme increase of active players, to let it continue along the path that it is heading can hurt PoE much more than simply waiting for it will help.

Right now, we allow for players to buy in to beta. We have numerous players running active streams, and many players referencing PoE on other sites.

This is all word of mouth advertising that can truly help bolster PoE and GGG as a whole in the very near future. However, Word of Mouth Advertising is also very painful if the wrong sense of advertising is getting out and about.

I know GGG has more demanding issues to be worked in and out before we see open beta. And I can accept that, and wait patiently, as many others can and will do. I just hope that in the mean time, the good reputation PoE is building is not diminished beyond repair due to a great community quickly going bad.

As great as it was to allow for players to get a beta key after supporting GGG, it is also what has opened the flood gates to some of our biggest issues, outside of mechanics.

"
KopaKabana wrote:
rather have some trolls and funny jokes in chat than bot.
If you feel offended by others , ignore the player, or leave the chat btw.
You gonna cry once game comes out of beta btw. And why u feel insulted from someone who say something other interwebz? Lol

Yes, trolls are 'slightly' better than spam bots. And of course, humor is always welcomed.

However, you still fail to see the point. It is not a matter of being offended. It is a matter of lacking civil interaction within PoE. Yes, we can ignore you. That doesn't mean we should have too.

Just because I can ignore a kid pissing on my shoes while at a neighboring urinal, does not mean he has the right to do so in the first place.

Off Topic :
Spoiler

I have often wondered what sort of league players would search for once we have the ability for paid leagues. A true role play league could be very interesting.

Should this take form once we are fully public, I hope I can catch wind of it to try it out as well.

A grand idea xD
...narf
Last edited by SqueakyToyOfTerror on Aug 11, 2012, 12:31:45 AM
Personally I don't use public chat because it hogs the screen and just don't care what people have to say. I also don't mind people saying meaningless things, but can see how other may.

A "bad language" quota would be nice. Say ten explicits and your banned from public chat for say 24 hours. Sure you get a few rounds off but is it worth a 24 hour ban?

An ignore feature is always useful.

But a community is always the strongest to control disgruntled gamers. Take a look at a browser rts called Illyriad. The game is open pvp and is in constant "hardcore" mode. If you die, you die. Game over!

The community takes care of players if attacked or just being harassed. They are very happy to help and frown upon bad language, politics, or anything that may upset other players. Which may end up inevitably detour players away.
Last edited by SGM3 on Aug 11, 2012, 2:13:02 AM
"
SGM3 wrote:

A "bad language" quota would be nice. Say ten explicits and your banned from public chat for say 24 hours. Sure you get a few rounds off but is it worth a 24 hour ban?

Adult language in and of itself is welcome (if not necessarily invited) in the game. I find this a relief after so many games where you had to be a little more cautious with your choice of words. I mean, PoE's a brutal game. Things die horribly, there are dead babies (or dolls, if you prefer) that occasionally pop up on the beach. Half-naked women are on screen, constantly.

What is not tolerated is sustained personal attacks, *targeted* adult language and, perhaps most importantly, racist language. Even if it's not meant in a racist way, the usage of these terms will earn someone a very swift mute is a dev is present, and likely a report if not.

There's a measure of trust in this system that might soon be unwieldy at best. That trust is to understand that context is the key. I can say 'fuck those spiders!' and that's fine; 'fuck you!', however, not so fine.

Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Aug 11, 2012, 2:17:09 AM
I believe it will be better with the new chat system. A global chat as it is now, will inevitable become a troll nest, but in smaller channels it will be easier to keep the peace. And if someone is a really big douche, there should be a report option.
Danskere: PM mig, hvis I har brug for en guild.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info