Censorship is never the answer.

Demonstrably untrue.

Go on, ask me why...

What fresh hell is this?
"
stayBlind wrote:
Censorship is never the answer.

Grow up.

I'm going to go with this one. Everyone has the right to enjoy the game. If censorship is installed, you may enjoy the game more, but others will not.

PoE is not about you or me, specifically. There are people who love PvP, and people who abhor it. There are people who are easily offended/annoyed, and there are those who love to joke around/troll. I'd say, carve out a corner for yourself, like everyone else has, and stick to it.

You could try going to Hardcore. I hear it's a lot less abusive.
IGN: Royal_Princess, Princess_of_Wraeclast, Vaal_Princess, Diamond_Princess
Last edited by ac429 on Aug 11, 2012, 5:25:26 PM
I just don't want to see a fun game go the route of the mainstream and get all big brother.
In-game chat moderation is coming. That means censorship, given that the in-game chat moderators will have the ability, much as the devs already do, to mute particularly noxious players.

I am all for freedom of speech, with the stipulation that I am equally for censoring people who abuse their freedom of speech to make things unpleasant or negative for others. That doesn't mean people who argue or disagree. It means the temporary silencing of people who are using the chatroom to be overwhelmingly abrasive and disruptive.

Again, I'm going by the precedent set by Samantha and Jess here. You don't see either of them muting rampantly, and when they do mute, it is usually hailed by the chat at large as what was wanted.

Custom leagues will likely not be so actively monitored -- or at least, I should hope not. The idea of in-game chat moderation to me is to ensure that the main playing areas, default/hardcore, are encouraged to remain relatively civil. I imagine that anyone willing to pay for a custom league (in essence, a completely private game) can moderate their own global chat.

Note I said 'I imagine'. None of this is set in stone.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Aug 11, 2012, 8:40:47 PM
How about:

A community-ran ignore list, which could be downloaded from the forums and is constantly updated.

Download the plaintext file and put it in folder X, and it Just Works(tm).

Ran by who? A group of trusted players... Self-appointed I suppose... whoever wants to run it.

We each decide for ourselves whether to use it.

I imagine it'll start off as a guild ignore list... perhaps several guilds... and they get merged and shared with the community.

Plaintext file format makes for easy merging/editing. XML would work.

The devs would just have to make sharing ignore lists possible. Not hard.

It would be nice to be able to disable/enable it ingame with the click of a button, too.

Also, I think there needs to be a Help or New Player Chat channel... better yet, how about user creatable chat channels like EvE Online has.
Last edited by Daemonjax on Aug 13, 2012, 10:33:48 AM
It's sad people can't ignore people they're offend by and we're reduced to being baby sat.

I have no desire for an overlord ruler in chat dictating for all what is and isn't acceptable.

I'd like to request a refund of the $10 I paid for access. They added squelch back in the day for this very reason, and here we are in 2013 with people who have been gaming for 30 years unable to figure that feature out.
Please PM Samantha or email support@grindinggear.com to further discuss that refund request.

Genuinely sad to see someone leaving the game because the devs have taken it upon themselves to temporarily mute the occasional spammer, racist or obnoxious troll. Yes, you can ignore them, but that doesn't solve the problem, it just blocks your ears to it.

I'd much rather have an idiot/troll gagged than have to block my ears (and leave that idiot/troll to bother someone else), but that's just me I guess.

PS it's 2012.

PPS My ignore list is full.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Good idea but please allow cursing,i curse like a sailor but otherwise i avoid trolling
"
Jerrt2112 wrote:
Good idea but please allow cursing,i curse like a sailor but otherwise i avoid trolling

Never did understand the 'curse like a sailor' cliche. Then again, I've never met a real one, as in, someone who'd identify themselves as a sailor first-and-foremost.

Maybe they meant to say 'curse like a 'Straylian', because that'd really make sense.

Anyway, no. Kiwis and us Aussies seem to share a certain lack of stick-up-the-bumness when it comes to adult language.

Like I said, that in and of itself so far is acceptable. It's how you use it that will be held in judgment.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info