The inevitable has happened...

This is my personal opinion but I think the trade spam in general chat is even worse. Youre in the middle of a conversation and boom 2 paragraphs of items shoots into your face. A trade channel cant come soon enough.
May 15th 2012 - The day the king of ARPGs died. January 23rd 2013 - A new king takes the throne.
"
Atom920 wrote:
I have to be honest with you, if you can't learn to ignore/not be offended then the internet might not be for you. I hear what you are saying but its one of those things that just go with the territory.

More often than not, it is not about being offended. It is not about being thin skinned, nor is it about simply being annoyed.

Kids will be kids; Adults will be kids. This is a rule of life.

The issue are those who do so blatantly and with absolute disregard for those trying to do something more meaningful within the same medium.

I had actually just recently posted on the matter of the character names, which is the fastest track to my ignore list. You can be the nicest, and most kind hearted person on the face of the planet Earth, but when you enter chat with a name like GoatRape, I will disregard anything that follows other than a 'Right Click; Ignore'.

But that is another point entirely.

Yes, there are ignore options. Yes, we can hide chat. Yes, we can simply ignore your comments. But should we have to?

If you have the mental capacity to log in, then you have the capacity to be civil, decent, and considerate. You simply choose not to.

It is my own opinion that those who choose not to, should have the decision made for them to exit quietly. Nobody should have to potentially hide and ignore the socializing of an entire community due to one or two ignorant players.

It is not a matter of being annoyed. It is not a matter of being offended. It is not a matter of being faint of heart. It is a point of matter that we are here to enjoy ourselves, and not one of us has the right to impede on somebody else's desire to do so.

If your idea of enjoying yourself is constant trolling, flaming, or complete ignorance---so be it. But do so in a proper channel of communication. Not in public. This is what we have Whispers for. Flame and troll a user there, not the entire community.

Yes, we are here to test. But not one person will care to test a product they can not enjoy in the process.

"
bluejays90 wrote:
This is my personal opinion but I think the trade spam in general chat is even worse. Youre in the middle of a conversation and boom 2 paragraphs of items shoots into your face. A trade channel cant come soon enough.

Yes, trade spam can get to be a bother. But I would rather see 50 useless items pop up in trade than relive some other's fantasy of doing a goat within that same forum.
...narf
Last edited by SqueakyToyOfTerror on Aug 10, 2012, 2:55:18 PM
"
Murgustrum wrote:
Anyway, to my point/complaint:- Are 3G going to allow abusive, inflamatory or offensive content in chat?
The short answer is "no." Of course, nothing in life is that simple.

There will be full-time chat moderation in the future. It's supposed to be in action by the time open beta starts. Chat that is racist, sexist, excessively vulgar, meant to be offensive etc. won't be allowed. That will probably be up to the discretion of the mods on duty at the time.

The devs aren't going to censor people from the start. Saying a "dirty word" isn't going to be a big deal unless it's used in an insulting or hateful way. As far as I know, there are no plans for a standard chat filter. I've supported the idea of having an editable chat filter that players can populate with whatever words they don't want to see. I think that's the best thing to have alongside active moderation.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
Atom920 wrote:
I have to be honest with you, if you can't learn to ignore/not be offended then the internet might not be for you. I hear what you are saying but its one of those things that just go with the territory.

yeah but it doesn't have to be that way. I know its become an accepted practice but that doesn't mean we should just bend over and accept it. Way back in the late 90's early 2000's i was a member of a guild called Team Play First. The objective of this guild was to provide a positive environment and to promote fair play and teamwork for all players from noobs to old pros, an environment of respect and courtesy. This guild and the servers it ran (FROM TFC to Battlefield and other random games) became a bastion of truly civil online gameplay. It was excellent and i have yet to come across a community of players so awesome and willing to help anyone and everyone. After all our philosophy was to lead by example, that noob cursing in the corner cause hes getting owned with a little direction and patience could become a great member of the community. All of the servers were closely admined and we were constantly thanks by many pugs and random players for running such awesome servers.

My point is all it takes is the will to do it but it takes the whole community to make it work. Having player moderators will go a long way to making this happen but it must be embraced by the community as a whole. WE must hold ourselves to a greater standard and believe me it will rub off on other players and at the end of the day this game could have one of the best communities around.
I agree with you OP. In fact, I now automatically just turn off chat in PoE Options before I enter the game (I wish my options would get saved).

In WoW, I solved this by filtering out everything but guild chat as, ostensibly, we would kick any abusive member out of the guild.

Moderated channels (with kick abilities) would work just as well.
I understand all of your points, i just want to play a game not be a community enforcer that being said are there plans for guilds because i would love if some of the "mature" folks could have an easier way to play/chat with eachother.
My thought is this:

First off it's not a simple solution but it's fair.

When some 'tard starts spouting off, people will start setting /Ignore.

I propose that the /ignore flags start passing back to the moderator or even a spider-bot that watches for this type of event. Any player that receives 20 new /Ignores within a one minute window immediately has a mute put on his account for 24 hours.

Mute would block from adding to ANY public chat, only Whisper would work. The offending individual receives an Automated /whisper telling them of the ban and how they can petition to get it lifted by Whispering to IwasMuzzled

If a player gets 10 mutes in a month, the mute becomes a one month mute.

(Actual specifics of qty/duration to be set by GGG, points of reference only)

In this way, the community can manage their own.

-- Providing opinions since I was old enough to tell my sister she was ugly.
"
GrimJahk wrote:
My thought is this:

I propose that the /ignore flags start passing back to the moderator or even a spider-bot that watches for this type of event. Any player that receives 20 new /Ignores within a one minute window immediately has a mute put on his account for 24 hours.

Mute would block from adding to ANY public chat, only Whisper would work. The offending individual receives an Automated /whisper telling them of the ban and how they can petition to get it lifted by Whispering to IwasMuzzled

Seeing as the game is F2p and it takes a few minutes to make an account, this would be super easy to exploit.
"
iamacyborg wrote:
"
GrimJahk wrote:
My thought is this:

Seeing as the game is F2p and it takes a few minutes to make an account, this would be super easy to exploit.

This is a good point. This discussion reminds me of compsec methods, specifically using a white list (e.g., a guild or a channel invite in this case) versus a blacklist (trying to ban the bad guys).

White list is generally preferable if you can swing it, as almost all black list methodologies can be gamed.
lolz whine more fgt

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info