[1.0.0 UPDATED] 2H Melee dominating blow build - Fun and effective (also with facebreakers)

Glad to see the Facebreaker version has been added. I was leveling using Cleave and decided to switch to Dominating Blow around level 50. I've been lazy during the past 2-3 days, but currently I'm level 54 in Hardcore with this passive tree.
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBAdwB5wUtDq0UIBjbGS4b-iFgJd8n7SmlNuhAoEOcRmlHflBHUFBUSVcNWGNYr1nzXz9gS2EhZU1uaXKpdO108XgNeu982YTZhO-HKYzPmSueuZ7NpBmnMKvFrKq53b2Bvoq-p8APwBrG2NIh0k3Uj9lh4urnUu8O8i_2SPe-

All the nodes are pretty standard. I have to get the +30 Dex/Int nodes for now, but once I have high +attribute rolls on my gear, I'll be respec-ing that area and save 3 nodes. I also got Leather and Steel because I'm using Daresso's Courage and plan to use The Bringer of Rain (both of which are Ar/Ev). I might replace Daresso's Courage at level 70 with Lioneye's Remorse, since it provides much more defense and life (at a cost of some resistances and %increased damage).

Here's some great gear I obtained (perfect or near perfect rolls).

I'm currently using this Facebreaker instead just in case I die and bring my 1000% Facebreaker to Standard.

Although Abyssus provides more damage, I think The Bringer of Rain is a safer choice (much more armor especially when using Iron Reflexes, tons of life, and 15% block chance). With a shield like Daresso's Courage or Lioneye's Remorse and some shield nodes on the passive tree, I'll easily obtain 60-70% shield block. Or I might stick to just having 47-48% shield block and stack more life nodes.

Using The Bringer of Rain, my Dominating Blow will look like this:
Dominating Blow - Melee Physical Damage, Faster Attacks, Blind, Melee Splash, Life Leech, Blood Magic
^ I'm still not sure if I want to replace Life Leech with Multistrike. It really depends on whether I can survive without Life Leech and whether my attack speed is sufficient with Faster Attacks. The monster auto-targeting of Multistrike after the initially targeted monster dies is useful though.

This is an idea of what level 90 could look like (of course I won't get there, but hey).
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBAdwB5wJxBLMFLQY5DH0OrRB_EuEUIBRNFm8Y2xkuGYUaMho4GlUb-h0UIWAkqiXfJ-0otSmlLdIyCTboNuk62ECgQ5xHflBHUFBRYFRJVcZXDVhjWfNfP2BLYIhhIWFSZKNlTWaebmlyqXTtdPF673uMfLt82YTZhO-Mz49GkFWRzpkrnrmezZ_LoLSiAKQZpwinMKeEqZWrxayquJO53bvtvYG-p8APwBrFisaextjPZdDQ0iHSTdSP2WHi6uNq51LsOO8O707wH_Iv8932SPe--tL7qg==

I specced into Inner Force, but I'm really unsure about whether it's necessary (it benefits Purity, Determination, Vitality, Grace, Granite flasks, etc.). Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks for reading! By the way Supernico, I enjoy your stream! Been following for a couple months now. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EDIT: I should also add that they're making changes to the Ranger passive tree in 0.12.0, which may affect Iron Reflexes. If IR is reworked, it may make the use of Daresso's Courage and The Bringer of Rain better or worse.
Last edited by mimivirus on Jul 4, 2013, 5:23:38 PM
Oops i didnt even notice iron reflezes my bad lol. What about something like this for a 2h version of facebreaker build? Still seems better than your original build but like i said im no expert ;) :
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgQBmSu9gavFR35lTYTZbmm-p9JNwA_V7WqTGbTK0yzp3Q0VIFuvkAr8xV-Yg9sqTRjbZ6BZbfxLPyd08Yd2Hb7OcW6qIWCeuUp9bBauk0Cgpld6uAUt70464bc-YEsyCYjxxq567zwt_gp07cT28kXEFSft52Pz3ayqGS5yqVnz1I982cAaud2QVfIv7w6nhOdSGjhUSew4Xz862PZIjM9QUPAfWGMEs6IAxtgUTQJxJd8b-qQZQ5wOrSmlTdiMdp48gW89_Hy4KS6paDqzNYadqrnN

Edit: changed skill build a bit. maxes out armor and removes endurance charges, I want to try this method out.

Any advice on leveling with no access to a 5 link, multistrike, or blood magic keystone? I was planning on leveling as a ground slam marauder, but I really like the efficiency of this new facebreaker passive skill tree. Only problem for leveling is no blood magic really, otherwise I could just farm merciless with a ground slam build and transition to dominating blow once I had enough currency for a multistrike gem and a 5 link. Thoughts?
Last edited by xSJx on Jul 4, 2013, 11:55:30 PM
"
xSJx wrote:
Oops i didnt even notice iron reflezes my bad lol. What about something like this for a 2h version of facebreaker build? Still seems better than your original build but like i said im no expert ;) :
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgQBmSu9gavFR35lTYTZbmm-p9JNwA_V7WqTGbTK0yzp3Q0VIFuvkAr8xV-Yg9sqTRjbZ6BZbfxLPyd08Yd2Hb7OcW6qIWCeuUp9bBauk0Cgpld6uAUt70464bc-YEsyCYjxxq567zwt_gp07cT28kXEFSft52Pz3ayqGS5yqVnz1I982cAaud2QVfIv7w6nhOdSGjhUSew4Xz862PZIjM9QUPAfWGMEs6IAxtgUTQJxJd8b-qQZQ5wOrSmlTdiMdp48gW89_Hy4KS6paDqzNYadqrnN

Edit: changed skill build a bit. maxes out armor and removes endurance charges, I want to try this method out.

Any advice on leveling with no access to a 5 link, multistrike, or blood magic keystone? I was planning on leveling as a ground slam marauder, but I really like the efficiency of this new facebreaker passive skill tree. Only problem for leveling is no blood magic really, otherwise I could just farm merciless with a ground slam build and transition to dominating blow once I had enough currency for a multistrike gem and a 5 link. Thoughts?

Endurances charges ARE FAR superior to any amount of armour you can possibly imagine , because armour has a formula which basically makes it worthless against big hits whereas endurances charges will always reduce the damage taken by the same % every time , and with my build , 7 endurances charges + a granite of iron skin , you hit the physical reduction % cap (which is like 90% iirc) anyway

And you're really gimping yourself here lol , please take the blood magic keystone while leveling , it will be invaluable ;) Just de-spec out of it when you transition into the end game build

@Hissnail => I don't like the bringer of rain , mainly because it's nigh impossible with it to cap your resists (especially for elemental weakness map) without INSANE gear , also bringer of rain not only has lower flat +phys values , but the gems attached sucks ass (level 18 gems with 0% quality , and one of it being useless which is blind) and the fact is you can't use multistrike with this helm (you will attack WAY TOO FAST and just annihilate your ass on lightning thorns) and multi in my opinion is key to not killing yourself because of the insane cost of dominating blow (multistrike is very efficient because it's 1 cost per 3 attacks). Also inner force is a waste of points now in my opinion , I wouldn't take it (benefits are too minimal)
IGN : @Supernico

http://www.twitch.tv/nicosuper
"
Supernico00 wrote:
@Hissnail => I don't like the bringer of rain , mainly because it's nigh impossible with it to cap your resists (especially for elemental weakness map) without INSANE gear , also bringer of rain not only has lower flat +phys values , but the gems attached sucks ass (level 18 gems with 0% quality , and one of it being useless which is blind) and the fact is you can't use multistrike with this helm (you will attack WAY TOO FAST and just annihilate your ass on lightning thorns) and multi in my opinion is key to not killing yourself because of the insane cost of dominating blow (multistrike is very efficient because it's 1 cost per 3 attacks). Also inner force is a waste of points now in my opinion , I wouldn't take it (benefits are too minimal)

I understand what you're saying Nico, but I think using The Bringer of Rain WITH Facebreaker is still possible. Even though I'm missing two pieces of gear (weapon & chest) and don't have any resistances from The Bringer of Rain or Facebreaker, I will be able to cap my resists, but like you said it's very difficult. Without Inner Force, I have to consider getting Alpha's Howl to cast Lvl 20 Purity and make it Lvl 22 (which gives +29% resistances). I need to keep Daresso's Courage because the one I bought gives me +18% fire res, +20% cold res, and +15% lightning res. My Meginord's has max cold res (20%). I am going to buy two very high ele resist rings that still have some added physical damage. Assuming that I can't get Alpha's Howl, my resists WITHOUT an amulet or boots will be 90% fire res, 88% cold res, and 75% lightning res. Of course, this takes into account the -60% resistances on Merciless.

Calculation:
-60(Merciless) + 12(Passive tree) + 12(Passive tree) + 27(Purity) = -9
Fire Res: -9 + 18(Daresso's) + 45(Ring 1) + 36(Ring 2) = 90/81
Cold Res: -9 + 20(Daresso's) + 20(Meginord's) + 15(Ring 1) + 42(Ring 2) = 88/81
Light Res: -9 + 15(Daresso's) + 15(Ring 1) + 54(Ring 2) = 75/81

I am trying to cap my resistances at 81% (Purity and Elemental Adaptation), so in an Elemental Weakness map (-44% resistances) I need 125% resistances. If I can get a good amulet and boots, I can make up the difference of 35% fire res, 37% cold res, and 40% lightning res and STILL cap at 81%. It's still pretty tough to do that though, but not impossible!

As for Multistrike, I don't think I need it if I have Lvl 18 Faster Attacks. Since I don't have Multistrike, I won't have the damage penalty and it will take me fewer attacks to kill monsters at a decent attack speed. Right now I need 1-2 shots on white mobs with Melee Splash, but this is without any physical damage on my jewelry and The Bringer of Rain. The Lvl 18 Melee Physical Damage won't be that bad because the multiplier is 1.47 instead of 1.49, which is a small difference. Also, 20% quality only gives you +10% increased melee physical damage, which you can easily get on the passive tree (the first Melee Damage node at the Marauder tree already gives +15% melee physical damage). Plus, I'm using a 1000% Facebreaker, which has a multiplier of 11. I probably won't be killing myself either with the high mana cost because I'll be using Life Leech instead of Multistrike. Eventually I'll get a 20% quality LL and things will be much better. As for Blind, it's useless like you said, but thankfully it has no mana cost multiplier.

If I'm sufficiently tanky with 7 Endurance Charges, then I will invest in Melee Damage nodes and spec out of Inner Force.
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBAdwB5wJxBLMFLQY5Dq0S4RQgFE0WbxjbGS4ZhRoyGjgaVRv6HRQhAiFgJKol3yftKLUppSr2LdIyCTboNuk62ECgQ5xHflBHUFBRYFRJVcZXDVhjWfNfP2BLYIhhIWFSZKNlTWaebmlyqXTtdPF673uMfLt82YM4hNmE74zPj0aQVZHOmSueuZ7Nn8ugtKIApBmnMKeEqZWrxayqud277b2BvqfAD8AaxYrG2MqQz2XQ0NIh0k3Uj9lh4urjaudS7DjvDu9O73zwH_Iv8932SPe--tL7qg==

In the end, I still have to try it. Thanks Nico for the feedback! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EDIT: By the way, the reason I can use Dominating Blow right now and still run auras is because I found a 5L chest in Cruel Fellshrine.

EDIT 2: I got my rings. :)
Last edited by mimivirus on Jul 5, 2013, 1:46:54 PM
Alrighty, i guess i can spend a few regret orbs lol. Thanks for the help :)
hiya together!
nice build with facebreakers; i` m testing it right now with ci on anarchy.
nico; will u use amplify again? does it still support melee splash even it` s unarmed?
further on much luck for all you os-players!
ign: oberarmklaus
Would you recommend trying to get a 5 link kaoms primacy, or just a cheap one to use temporarily? I play on anarchy, if a 5l kaoms primacy is cheap enough I might try to get one :)
if you're 58+ there's no reason to use something LESS than a kaoms. if you can afford 5l that's probably pretty sweet, but at the very least use it.

but the price difference would be quite substantial. i'm gonna try for 5l on chest piece since it'll not only be cheaper than on a unique like that, but also so i can switch out to a better wep down the road if i want.
"
cronik wrote:
if you're 58+ there's no reason to use something LESS than a kaoms. if you can afford 5l that's probably pretty sweet, but at the very least use it.

but the price difference would be quite substantial. i'm gonna try for 5l on chest piece since it'll not only be cheaper than on a unique like that, but also so i can switch out to a better wep down the road if i want.

First, Kaom's Heart is 68+.

Second, the price difference betwee Kaom's and a 5L is HUGE. I don't know why you're even bothering to compare them. Kaom's can only be afforded by a small number of people and it's only useful if you're using a 2h weapon or bow. And personally, I think this build is stronger with Facebreaker.
"
"
cronik wrote:

First, Kaom's Heart is 68+.

Second, the price difference betwee Kaom's and a 5L is HUGE. I don't know why you're even bothering to compare them. Kaom's can only be afforded by a small number of people and it's only useful if you're using a 2h weapon or bow. And personally, I think this build is stronger with Facebreaker.

Lol, he was talking about kaoms primacy, read my post above his :P
Last edited by xSJx on Jul 9, 2013, 1:05:02 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info