Will GGG ever stop balancing monster damage around 1000ex max defense builds?

"
yea but why play a recovery build when soultether exists? as long as you keep pressing buttons you got even more recovery than a chief regens..

i feel like that is an eternal problem, as long as you give champ and glad the option to get overleech, there wont be space for recovery builds in terms of being considered "tanky"

Ever played MoM Agnostic? 😂 As if overleech and soul tether would be so strong that it outperforms other sources of substain, cmon.
GGG/Neon want everyone to still consider PoE to be a 'hardcore' experience where reaching level 100 is a challenge and death is almost inevitable. The majority play SC and trade their way to success but off screen projectiles, deadly degens and visual clutter is GGG's way of artificially making the game a challenge for everyone outside the 1%, for the elite the game is a cakewalk.
hardcore casual.

Playing PoE for years and having fun despite GGG.
"
Artluxd wrote:

yea but why play a recovery build when soultether exists? as long as you keep pressing buttons you got even more recovery than a chief regens..

i feel like that is an eternal problem, as long as you give champ and glad the option to get overleech, there wont be space for recovery builds in terms of being considered "tanky"

Actually soul tethers even more busted on Chief because of that recovery bonus but it just isn't relevant compared to resistance to spikes, the only recovery mechanic that ever was "worthy" in balance terms was instant leech vaal pact.

aside from that its largely irrelevant, Boss damage is either irrelevant or crushing if its crushing all you have to do is survive and you probably won't get hit again and irrelevant is... irrelevant :p

Its funny you mention soul tether though maybe your right and it is responsible for some of the disparity.
no
(سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س
"
reinero wrote:
According to some HC streamers, the game is super easy and the mobs still need + 100% hp .. because who knows the game looks like diablo .. ops

Yep
Just 3 things

1. You need to be darkee
2. You need to treat PoE as HardWork, and work on it out straight 12h a day.
3. Every day.

Need to say the "game" part is failing its purpose here?
They want HC players to die, because streamers RIPs bring them views.
As long as HC exists, players going to randomly die to some damage spikes.
"
Arcanist_ wrote:
It's not that they are clueless about them but it's they don't care about them until they die and complain for most of them offense is the only defense they want to hear about.

It's not only that people forget or don't care about them, but there are simply people who hate flask mechanic. I wish 'crowd control' or 'cooldown' meant something in this game, and it doesn't. Having flasks up means just trying to keep on the other side of the binary carpet bombing.
"
Mortyx wrote:
The moral of the story is that you should never balance game mechanics around min-maxers. Or you will make min-maxing the only choice, in which case it's not min-maxing anymore.

What aspects of the game are you talking about? PoE is an open-ended game, where finishing every bit of content and downing every boss is considered a significant achievement. Of course they have to balance SOME things around having excellent gear, because finding, buying, or crafting the gear is the whole purpose of the game.

If they balanced the end-game around mediocrity, then everyone would "finish" the game in a few weeks. No one would strive to craft mirror-tier gear because no one would need it.
Anyway they say they want the game to be hard. it's their design philosophy and you can hear that a lot on exilecon.
and they even said their content is being rolled on way too easily so your hope for having PoE becoming as easy as diablo 3 won't happen im sorry to tell you this but the opposite may appear.

This game is not meant to be "finished". it's not meant for everyone to do everysingle things in it.

You people dont get that if they were to dumb down the game to a level where everyone could do it that mean the people a bit dedicated to this game which are numerous would have nothing to do past the first 2 days like what D3 has become.
To vanquish without perils is to triumph without glory.
"
iteration2 wrote:
"
Mortyx wrote:
The moral of the story is that you should never balance game mechanics around min-maxers. Or you will make min-maxing the only choice, in which case it's not min-maxing anymore.

What aspects of the game are you talking about? PoE is an open-ended game, where finishing every bit of content and downing every boss is considered a significant achievement. Of course they have to balance SOME things around having excellent gear, because finding, buying, or crafting the gear is the whole purpose of the game.

The thing is, poe is not a hard game at all, it's one of the easiest games there is, it's not playerskill what differs a mediocre player and a good player (skill only matters in some endgame boss fights, and even then i would say that for most people it's more a lack of availability to train the fights(since most boss fights require like 50 maps to access it) than actually lack of skill to do it), it's gear and the skill you choose that matter.

My point is about the combat gameplay of the game
, for me the combat gameplay loop is the most important thing, loot is my reward for my correct actions and deaths should be the consequences of my failures. But when you combine the speed of the game with the introduction of monsters that deal a shitton of damage (blue harvest mobs, baran mobs, etc) and apply "n" deadly debuffs constantly you start pushing players more and more towards only two viable outcomes:

1- You give up on most of your defensive mechanics and just insta-kill everything.

2- You stack infinite layers of defense while using a skill that allows you to deal sufficient damage (this is the one most hardcore players go for).

Any build/skill that doesn't fit any of these two criteria will die A LOT in current poe no matter how safe you try to play. And not all "legit" builds can choose either option without a shitton of gear (which is not achieved without "no-lifing" the game).

But the balance i am trying to envision is giving players 3 options:

1- Tank but slow;

2- Fast but frail;

3- Balanced;

And to achieve those options, for start, you need to balance the monsters around the balanced builds. not around the tank nor around the fast.

"

"If they balanced the end-game around mediocrity, then everyone would "finish" the game in a few weeks."

By day 2 all endgame bosses had already died in SSF HC. I guess this boat has sailed already.

But in the end it's not just "gear requirements" or monster damage, the main "problem" is that the combat is simple too fast and too chaotic, we regen too much, we deal too much damage, we have too much aoe, there are too many monsters and effects in the screen, our actions barely matter, and as they keep introducing monsters with really lethal kits combined with no way for you to react against those kits besides the "passive stats" of your build, we enter on a scenario where you feel really limited in what to play if you don't want to randomly die all the time.
I usually quit the leagues after a month because even thou i love all the game "complexities" i get extremely bored with the combat gameplay loop, and collecting pixels to get slightly stronger after i already "finished" my objectives in the league doesn't give me any joy.

But i also feel that the public GGG is currently aiming at are the "dopamine addicts", and for them it's just the pixels that matter, not the experience behind getting those pixels. So all i can do is voice my discontent and what my opinion is, no matter how worthless it is.

Last edited by Mortyx on Mar 7, 2021, 9:45:01 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info