Will GGG ever stop balancing monster damage around 1000ex max defense builds?

"There's no thing like random one-shots in this game. You only die because you take 353,456,237 hits in 0.2 seconds."

"The best items in the game should not be crafted, they should be TRADED." - Cent, GGG
"
Strikes

Strike skills are in all functions a programming error. AMA I played 99% strikes only since like 2.0 when ascendancies were out and the first thing i did was make a HS slayer with BoR and 4 HS jewels (that was the limit initially)

The underlying mechanic works like a game bug (pre legion a strike or NAMETAG skill could not hit anything unless you had your mouse on top of it, or used multistrike.... lol), the main change was in legion where the hit cone was changed (but you still have nametag blind spots especially next to your char):
- A strike hits everything in a tight cone (30 or 45 degrees?),
- Then if you add (awakened) melee splash, everything that was hit will make a separate splash.
It means that if you hit 6 mobs each one will make a mini explosion that will hit surrounding targets, the explosions will overlap
- Now if you add (awakened) ancestral call and + strikes, you are going to make more of those "cones" like 4-7 cones and will hit more mobs on screen
- Example you have 1mil dps, you can be hitting 20 mobs each one overlapping: a single mob can potentially be overlapped by 20 (twenty) aoes each doing ~1mil <- Saviour was patched and does not splash strikes anymore because the calcs killed the performances, experienced it during Delirium

This makes it heavily dependant on mobs quantity. AoE/slam tag skills don't work this way, everything is hit for equal damage regardless of how many other mobs were around to "splash"

I had hopes with the "2h patch" of harvest, but now not anymore, when strikes patch comes i will try for sure but i dont care anymore. It will be a guaranteed hyper convoluted bs made to get around the streamers meta or to not make them cry on twitch

"
zzang wrote:

At the price of laughable dps but since they got time its not an issue when they survive. Slams fixed that for the most part its why they are popular in HC leagues as you can skip offense investment (for the price of atrocious gameplay).

Slams are a joke, you can be doing big hits, but the whole pre casting (each warcry ~0.5s) evens it out: you are doing a big hit because you were pre casting it since 2 seconds before.
Or your slam aoe looks big AF (tecslam) but in truth it "walks" as slow as your char.
The rest is warped perception of players thinking they are doing 5mil PER second while it is more like 500k dPS.

This cannot exist together with stuff like autotargeting autotrigger VD spells, other spellslingers, coc any spell, walking simulator 5-10mil dps BV characters, any ranged skill on 400ex doing 20mil, or one any caster with a shield (+2 max res, life on block, +life) that stacks +1 skill in every item and will out tank and out damage an attack skill
Gives streamers & friends queue priority and leaves supporters who spent hundreds $ packs in the 100k queue.

GGG: Don't you guys follow streamers?
Last edited by ZaeN on Mar 6, 2021, 6:51:58 PM
"
Mortyx wrote:

I also find funny people talking about the buffy big dude whose whole concept is stacking strength (life) is considered a non-tank archetype when half of his ascendancy nodes are defensive stats(except berserk).

But the reality is that not all skills/ascendacies were born equal, so when you "force" people to have all these mechanics at the same time, you end up making all builds that can't aggregate all those mechanics really bad (see people calling marauder a bad tank class lol).

Yep that' laughable other games here have been roasted for much less. But here you have all kinds of excuses, it is not rational at all.

But anyway the other week i was reading posts like "i never played D2" in the D2 thread, this made me drop all respect for all the BS i read on GGG boards, these are the same people that get triggered and get irrational when you touch PoE their first rpg ever so
Gives streamers & friends queue priority and leaves supporters who spent hundreds $ packs in the 100k queue.

GGG: Don't you guys follow streamers?
Last edited by ZaeN on Mar 6, 2021, 6:56:01 PM
I guess these random one shots are making evasion characters as viable as the armor/ES ones. If you dodge/avoid/evade 95% of hits, or mitigate 90% of incoming damage from hits, you still die like once every 10-20 maps, unless you're really careful about the mods you're running.
Last edited by 6_din_49 on Mar 6, 2021, 8:00:23 PM
Well GGG cant balance to kill Tracendence or Fortify stacker cheese builds otherwise non cheese builds would be insta oneshot non stop.

Its something GGG should out a look or two into when the next balance patch rolls out.
I will post this in every single thread about balance. The problem is not defense nor is it offense, not ascendency, not gear. Its all about broken recovery mechanic. You cant expect to die any other way then with one-shot when you recover any bit of dmg in 0.1s. This needs fixing first. As of now its either one-shots or total immortality. There is nothing in between. Make it impossible to recover more life per second then life flask can and only then we can talk about monster dmg.
Yea I hate to break it to you people but I've only had maybe 1-2 deaths where I legitimately had no idea what happened to me. The rest were either my fault or a dc.

The truth is always going to hurt for people complaining about constantly getting "randomly" 1 shot: your build is bad.
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
No because game is supposed to kill you. HC scene would not be competitive without lots of ways to die.

HC scene is dead, the game is balanced on sc now and since about 3 years.
Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Mar 7, 2021, 6:27:20 AM
"
kuciol wrote:
I will post this in every single thread about balance. The problem is not defense nor is it offense, not ascendency, not gear. Its all about broken recovery mechanic. You cant expect to die any other way then with one-shot when you recover any bit of dmg in 0.1s. This needs fixing first. As of now its either one-shots or total immortality. There is nothing in between. Make it impossible to recover more life per second then life flask can and only then we can talk about monster dmg.

Yes that's true there is a lot of balance problem with recovery and movespeed right now and these 2 need to heavily nerfed all across the board to make the act of balancing this game possible to make it more interractive with players.
I hope they'll have the balls to nerf those 2 mecanics a LOT by poe 2 but that's pretty unsure
To vanquish without perils is to triumph without glory.
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
"
Artluxd wrote:
to quote alkaizer...chief is a bad ascendancy...just saying :) and he's not wrong with that, i dont know why everyone things chief is supposed to be tanky compared to champ

Chief is tanky, champs better for the way most boss content works though infact its extremely simple to explain.

The only defense that actually matters in PoE is how you handle damage spikes. This is because the default speed of recovery and relative rarity of effective degens due to the collective apoplexy it would cause mean its all that matters.

As a result uniform reductions (fort+effect) and automated save mes (adrenaline) outperform chieftains recovery bonus despite that recovery bonus being fairly fucking busted.

yea but why play a recovery build when soultether exists? as long as you keep pressing buttons you got even more recovery than a chief regens..

i feel like that is an eternal problem, as long as you give champ and glad the option to get overleech, there wont be space for recovery builds in terms of being considered "tanky"
Last edited by Artluxd on Mar 7, 2021, 9:29:10 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info