Will GGG ever stop balancing monster damage around 1000ex max defense builds?

It was 3 days by one guy alone that even said himself if he didnt had to leave for WoW fast he would have wait 2 more days atleast.
Overall killing all boss in ssfhc right now is pretty hard even for the veteran the challenge is here.

But i agree that combat would be much better if things on the screen mattered more.
They wanted to slow down things in poe 2 for that purpose but will they go hard enought on some mecanics like speed (softcap like LOL maybe ?) or others ?
Idk but i would like to it's possible but not certain yet.
it would be nice to have some news for the 4.0 tho chris said they wanted to give some early this year when announcing this league but nothing yet sadly
To vanquish without perils is to triumph without glory.
No because balancing the game around engaging mechanics is hard.
I have a 10.1ehp character with max ele/chaos resist & I think 70% or so phy reduction plus 20 or so minions as meatsheilds, & manual dodge skill from my experience playing glass cannon Necromancer in D3. Enembie/minion taunt almost always on, blinds etc.

I don't get hit died often, but when I do, its almost instant & out of the blue attack I never seen coming, almost awlays from max Ehp, or one shot boss mechanics.

I do agree most death can be prevented by TLDR Git Gud, but also there are BS one shot mechanic poor design. In any case, one shot, even if you are playing poorly is not a good design, thats why most action games do not have them except some very obvious, calligraphed one-shot boss mechanic highlight with in your face color.

Also, the one shot mech is disportional bad for melee & builds that need to get close oro stand still (like many channeling)to deal damage.

What most action games, include other arpgs, are make sure recovery is not super OP, & your survibvibilty rely on making sure recovery over period >damage dealt over period.

Often, leech, regen are very limited ot non existing, & you have to rely on either some healing that drops, or limited potions. It works, which is why this is how 99% of action games are design.
Last edited by kiadaw on Mar 8, 2021, 3:12:15 AM
"
Arcanist_ wrote:
"
Dan1986 wrote:
Was always like this dude. You either play the meta or you lose. Tried myself to play real melee for a while, and it is doable, but only with perfect gear. Even then you can get one shotted if you ever get hit.

First lesson is you only play ranged builds. Second lesson is you play caster because dmg scales easier. Or ranger, but a bit more gear dependent. Thats my view at least.

which is wrong melee is stronger in HC for a while now.
this melee meme from reddit must die it's been wrong for a while now

No, I was talking about "real melee", so what I meant was double strike or dual strike, not some kind of slam build. I know those are viable, but in the end that is the same as a caster build for me.
http://tinyurl.com/ooety9v - Ranger bow lightning arrow crit build
"
Dan1986 wrote:
No, I was talking about "real melee", so what I meant was double strike or dual strike, not some kind of slam build. I know those are viable, but in the end that is the same as a caster build for me.

What if we are talking about ""real"" melee which is fists only regular attack? Why is the game not balanced around that ffs
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
One reason there cannot be 'real' melee in PoE is because there is neither 'real crowd control'.

Sure, you maybe freeze the screen for a second before shattering monsters but that's just another way of exploding everything that comes to your face. If the game wasn't balanced around timers which basically require character to one-shot everything, there was more room for slows, stuns, cooldown skills (I mean real cooldown skills which you need to plan when to use, not these .5 second cooldowns) and, uh, you know, blocking blows. When I envision a tank character I see a picture of a well-armoured fighter closing down on enemies shield up, and only lowering his shield when about to deal a massive blow himself against monsters. Then winding up again.

Anyway all of this is so far away from reality of PoE gameplay that I'm not sure if people actually follow what I was trying to describe above. In PoE reality, you have one main skill that you spam, maybe flask piano (which you also spam) and whatever 'crowd control' there is you'd better socket it as auras or some other autocast, because no way game pace allows casting secondary CC skills strategically while the whole screen is going full kaboom every second.
Last edited by vmt80 on Mar 8, 2021, 6:20:09 AM
"
vmt80 wrote:
In PoE reality, you have one main skill that you spam, maybe flask piano (which you also spam) and whatever 'crowd control' there is you'd better socket it as auras or some other autocast, because no way game pace allows casting secondary CC skills strategically while the whole screen is going full kaboom every second.

Sadly, this is true. There is no time, especially for people that weren't able to invest thousands of exalts into their build to oneshot everything in a split second, to go and cast more than one, maybe two skills. They most likely would die, especially in rituals where there's nowhere to run and where a hundred mobs want to eat your face. The ability to turn off unnecessary skill clutter to be actually able to see what's going on, for example voidzones aka aoe's and the like, would help to avoid certain mechanics that can kill you easily. That probably won't help against masses of buffed monsters though.

For that matter, automation is a blessing in disguise. While it allows players like me that suffer from mental and/or physical conditions to 'play like the pro's' or to be able to play at all, it removes a lot of interaction with the game. Simply because the game is focused around hardcore (I don't mean the mode) players that know it all and can do it all without batting an eye.

But, what would be your solution? Like honestly, how would you as a game designer try and solve the problems in a balanced way?

And by the way, telling people to 'Git gud' is highly insulting. Many people just can't simply 'git gud'. They try anyway of course, but please be more respectful from atop your high horse. You may be more capable than others, but you're not better.
Want to play a beginner friendly, highly expandable and reliable build? Try WreckerOfDays' ! https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2606288 -- My Hideout -> https://hideoutshowcase.com/hideout/show/2881
Last edited by LibraExAnima on Mar 8, 2021, 7:09:59 AM
you have to slow the pace down, or accept the game as it is and enjoy it frankly you can't have both.. well you can enjoy it either way but CC and all that goes with it is a gameplay system for tactical fights, but tactical reads as slow to most players and they don't enjoy it.
"
ArtCrusade wrote:
"
Dan1986 wrote:

What if we are talking about ""real"" melee which is fists only regular attack? Why is the game not balanced around that ffs

Totally out of context what you are saying.

For me, melee is if you hit your opponent with a weapon. Slamming in the air, creating some waves (a spell?) is not the same.
If you feel different w/e I dont care. I just named it real melee to separate it from "melee" gems that do not behave like the mentioned gems.
http://tinyurl.com/ooety9v - Ranger bow lightning arrow crit build
Last edited by Dan1986 on Mar 8, 2021, 7:50:41 AM
"
LibraExAnima wrote:
"
vmt80 wrote:
In PoE reality, you have one main skill that you spam, maybe flask piano (which you also spam) and whatever 'crowd control' there is you'd better socket it as auras or some other autocast, because no way game pace allows casting secondary CC skills strategically while the whole screen is going full kaboom every second.

Sadly, this is true. There is no time, especially for people that weren't able to invest thousands of exalts into their build to oneshot everything in a split second, to go and cast more than one, maybe two skills. They most likely would die, especially in rituals where there's nowhere to run and where a hundred mobs want to eat your face. The ability to turn off unnecessary skill clutter to be actually able to see what's going on, for example voidzones aka aoe's and the like, would help to avoid certain mechanics that can kill you easily. That probably won't help against masses of buffed monsters though.

For that matter, automation is a blessing in disguise. While it allows players like me that suffer from mental and/or physical conditions to 'play like the pro's' or to be able to play at all, it removes a lot of interaction with the game. Simply because the game is focused around hardcore (I don't mean the mode) players that know it all and can do it all without batting an eye.

But, what would be your solution? Like honestly, how would you as a game designer try and solve the problems in a balanced way?

And by the way, telling people to 'Git gud' is highly insulting. Many people just can't simply 'git gud'. They try anyway of course, but please be more respectful from atop your high horse. You may be more capable than others, but you're not better.

TLDR is, I think being skillful. has amazing reflect/spidersense, dodge & react skills etc should be an advantage, but NOT a neccesity in an ARPG. ARPG shouldn't be design to required players to have reactive skills like fast pace skill base action game like Ninja Gaiden, Dark souls.
The same way that action focus games like Dark soul, God of war shouldn't expect to have overly depth & complex skill trees that players need to min/max.

The thing is GGG try to hard to be Risk, monopoly, Tomb raider, Dark Souls etc which is not what many arpg gamers looking for in a game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info