Will GGG ever stop balancing monster damage around 1000ex max defense builds?

"if you want a good character you need to have elemental ailments immunity, you need to be curse immune, you need to be corrupted blood immune, you need to pick all the life nodes in your side of the tree, you need to have capped resistances you need to have a certain DPS threshold(that keeps increasing) and you need to be able to fully heal every second."

You have a lot of different way to achieve all of that and from any class/builds.

Tbh tankyness is a straightforward things in all games and poe is prob one with the more choice of defense layers weitheir it be mitigation (reduced / less / taken as) avoidance immune or w/e in any game i have played.
You have to make choice nad can't have everything yet it can feel annoying when you dont want to die ever but that actually give a lot of meaningful choice and i know that really well since im trying to TC 2 builds for the gauntlet that arent champion/necro and it's a really tricky exercice to make choice with all the option you have.
But in the end it's possible to agregate all what you'll need with almost any kind of character.

yes you can't take every spell at any investment in because some are good early and some scale very well. (and some are bad at everything or are too clunky to be enjoyable and this is where ggg should focus on).

As for the balance of defense GGG isnt making monster damage for the minmaxed defensive hc builds but more for the average user experience and instead HEAVILY nerf the defense mecanics the HC player use (look at what they did at my poor xibaqua...).

Yes early season is always full of bullshit because they add more things than what they test (sirus influence mob werent made for those min max character they even one tapped the very best unkillable hc build it was just a typo in their number at this point) that they try to fix asap in the first week or 2 like they did in heist in delirium or in ritual with my exemple above.

Edit : + the Baharoth15 point is good too. sc player just make the minimum amount of defence to not deplete all their portal and that's it but that's their choice and i know some player even with 10 mirror of them that rather invest to go from 100 M dps to 102M dps rather than going from 5k to 5k5 ehp pool.
To vanquish without perils is to triumph without glory.
Last edited by Arcanist_ on Mar 6, 2021, 4:01:04 PM
"
Arcanist_ wrote:

Strike skill problem is that they are by essence some kind of single target skill.
You have really decent damage on some elehit may be one of those that reach dozen of millions of dps but they dont feel great for mapping by design.

Its that they require melee splash and ancestral call to be relevant in the modern game, the parallel would be if earthquake was a quarter of its size and you had to run increased area to get any coverage, or fist of war only did area and had no impact on damage.

That or boost the base damage by a significant margin so you can actually afford to run those supports but they have very arbitrary views on whats allowed to be traditionally OP and what isn't.
/played 33 days
/deaths almost 0 (only 115)

That is playing weak witch build with no defensive layers.

There was something that killed me few times in row early league (some overbuffed interaction i bet, like already mentioned sirus mobs getting like million times more deeeps)

But after you get headhunter, the ultimate solution to every end game issue, you can not die anymore to anything but maven memory game.

Simply do not play anything that does need to engage enemy mechanics, just kill everything including sirus offscreen (and yes that is possible to do and avoid maze)
I feel pretty, Oh, so pretty,
I feel pretty, and witty and gay,
And I pity Any girl who isn’t me today!
Last edited by CAKE on Mar 10, 2021, 12:29:28 AM
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
"
Arcanist_ wrote:

Strike skill problem is that they are by essence some kind of single target skill.
You have really decent damage on some elehit may be one of those that reach dozen of millions of dps but they dont feel great for mapping by design.

Its that they require melee splash and ancestral call to be relevant in the modern game, the parallel would be if earthquake was a quarter of its size and you had to run increased area to get any coverage, or fist of war only did area and had no impact on damage.

That or boost the base damage by a significant margin so you can actually afford to run those supports but they have very arbitrary views on whats allowed to be traditionally OP and what isn't.

Yep making it a bigger cleave somehow.

But what i would like for the 3 kind of skill that struggle especially in term of feeling (self cast / channeling / strike skill) the best for them would be that their animation won't stop the character in place and allow you to move while performing it (+ aoe/multi target for strike skills) and they would be on par with the other options.
"
Vennto wrote:
I honestly wonder where people encounter "random" oneshots all the time. I felt I had them in my first league. But it was just missing game knowledge. Nowadays I can literally facetank stuff for 4 Seconds without moving and on my 50c Twink I am also not dying to stuff that is "random". Yes, it would help a lot to see what kinds of damage you received to learn mechanics better but the fact that the Author only related to simple resistances without a single form of conversion, block, avoidance, less/reduced or mitigated damage shows how little he understands about how to reduce damage through different cycles of defensive layers.

"
Same with the oneshots, they don't add a logout timer because most stupid decisions ever and can't balance 20k ES, instead they make mobs+dmg combos that throw some div 0 bullshit to kill the 1% with 20k ES and make it miserable to everyone else with 6k life

You´re the same like the Author. Just for gods sake learn the game. I have 4.9k Life and more than 2 million elemental EHP. How about you start consider other variables of defenses than just max life and max res. Just checked out your char - sure, level 2 cast when damage taken molten shell and you honestly expect this to get you anywhere?

Well I agree with the defense layer stuff, you are exagerating a bit.
Even with very good defenses you will still get one shot at some point.
A random multi crit offscreen by legion in big maps happens whatever you do.

For the OP you can try flask, layered defenses and other debuff mechanics.

Slaming life with capped res is far from enough to reach a good survavibility but even if you go full defense you will still die because that's how the game works but you will be able to clear content.
"
Domah wrote:
"
Vennto wrote:
I honestly wonder where people encounter "random" oneshots all the time. I felt I had them in my first league. But it was just missing game knowledge. Nowadays I can literally facetank stuff for 4 Seconds without moving and on my 50c Twink I am also not dying to stuff that is "random". Yes, it would help a lot to see what kinds of damage you received to learn mechanics better but the fact that the Author only related to simple resistances without a single form of conversion, block, avoidance, less/reduced or mitigated damage shows how little he understands about how to reduce damage through different cycles of defensive layers.

"
Same with the oneshots, they don't add a logout timer because most stupid decisions ever and can't balance 20k ES, instead they make mobs+dmg combos that throw some div 0 bullshit to kill the 1% with 20k ES and make it miserable to everyone else with 6k life

You´re the same like the Author. Just for gods sake learn the game. I have 4.9k Life and more than 2 million elemental EHP. How about you start consider other variables of defenses than just max life and max res. Just checked out your char - sure, level 2 cast when damage taken molten shell and you honestly expect this to get you anywhere?

Well I agree with the defense layer stuff, you are exagerating a bit.
Even with very good defenses you will still get one shot at some point.
A random multi crit offscreen by legion in big maps happens whatever you do.

For the OP you can try flask, layered defenses and other debuff mechanics.

Slaming life with capped res is far from enough to reach a good survavibility but even if you go full defense you will still die because that's how the game works but you will be able to clear content.

that's actually not true if you know the game well with a good character you dont die ever.
Darkee never died this season in hcssf the only way he found to die was to deep delve further than 1k depth and forget to press his flask.

You have 2 way of not dying : defense and choosing the content you do.
with game knowledge you know what may kill you and what will not.
But anyway in softcore you can accept to die it does have 0 impact anyway.
"

that's actually not true if you know the game well with a good character you dont die ever.
Darkee never died this season in hcssf the only way he found to die was to deep delve further than 1k depth and forget to press his flask.

You have 2 way of not dying : defense and choosing the content you do.
with game knowledge you know what may kill you and what will not.
But anyway in softcore you can accept to die it does have 0 impact anyway.

He never died this season but he still died ?
You always will die at some point because it's how the game works.
You have to build tank and dps according to your budget, the content you want go focus and your playstyle.
I don't have a problem with the tanking in this game, my char are tanky enough to do what I want to do.
Sometimes I die, sometimes I don't.
That's how it works.

The most common thing I notice with people complaining to die a lot is usually they focus content without being tanky enough to clean it or they forget how mobility is the best mitigation you can get.

People that are clueless about building defense are not the majority.
What people tend to forget is to keep moving and use flasks.
Flasks are insane in term of tankiness.
It's not that they are clueless about them but it's they don't care about them until they die and complain for most of them offense is the only defense they want to hear about.

Well tbh before i played hc i was doing that with hundred of death on some of my character but it's not like i felt punished for them anyway.

And what i said about darkee stand : if you keep yourself outside of deep delving you can live forever yes.
According to some HC streamers, the game is super easy and the mobs still need + 100% hp .. because who knows the game looks like diablo .. ops
"
Arcanist_ wrote:

And what i said about darkee stand : if you keep yourself outside of deep delving you can live forever yes.

Its possible to build tanky for sure. Usually HC players show how at the price of laughable dps but since they got time its not an issue when they survive. Slams fixed that for the most part its why they are popular in HC leagues as you can skip offense investment (for the price of atrocious gameplay).

When we look what is good defense in PoE though its very arbitrary "stack as much in a single damage taken layer as possible". In the case of max resistance or (true) physical damage reduction every point going towards 90% provides a bigger reduction than the last relatively speaking. Fortify effect and Transcendence are other prominent examples of recently most abused flavor.

I would not be suprised to see Transcendence gutted as Divine Flash was way weaker and it got nerfed into almost useless. And Fortify effect limited.

Last edited by zzang on Mar 6, 2021, 6:07:32 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info