Difference between Blizzard and GGG

"
Autocthon wrote:
"
zeto wrote:
The thing is, if you believe that the D3 team, with it's major players coming directly out of WOW, was not *primarily* influenced by WOW, and that the reason that they really do look similar is not because it worked in WOW, and the reason why the game as a whole was streamlined is not because it worked in WOW... then you're not really reading the situation objectively.

All the people who make the real decisions on D3, were heavily involved and indoctrinated by WOW.

That is not a completely bad thing, in some aspects I'm sure it DOES make D3 better... but in some ways it'll certainly make it worse as well... and in many aspects it will be entirely up to the individual to decide if it was a good change or not.

But they are simply not completely separate teams... a significant majority of input has come from the WOW side of the fence by bringing in man-power from that team.

I have never understood the WoW hate. Really is it because it's an actually accessible MMO? Like how Everquest (and nearly every single previous MMO) was? I mean niche games are good and all, but EVERYONE loves CoD and it's hardly hardcore in the game area.

I don't know where you got the "WoW hate" from as nobody in this thread is bashing WoW in any way, but if you want some WoW hate I can give it to you.

Edit: Got beaten to it.
Last edited by xxnoob on Apr 25, 2012, 9:36:53 PM
"
Raycheetah wrote:
"
'Completely separate'.

Just admit he got you and move on.

PS please drop the 'diamond' thing. I'd have said the exact same thing regardless. If I had my way it wouldn't even be on there; the option to change it is coming, and not soon enough for my likes.

To hell with the jellies, Charan. Leave your Supporter level alone. You should be proud of your contributions, both monetary, and as a prolific, eloquent, and impactful poster on the forum.

Seems to me those who snipe at your Diamond Supporter title don't appreciate your contribution to the furtherance of PoE's development, and, as such, don't seem to appreciate PoE, much, either. Otherwise, they'd be glad someone has the wherewithal and the motivation to help keep the PoE ball rolling.

And do yourself a favor. Stop giving these D3 trolls any more of your time. You've explained yourself to them far more than necessary, and far, FAR more than they deserve. Let them peddle their arguments, specious or otherwise, until May 15, when they ought by all rights to leave the rest of us alone as they go off to play D3.

I look forward to more walls of text from you about PoE, and not so much about D3, 'kay? =^[.]^=

AWWWWWWW..!!

Actually, I told Tagek he should stick around after May 15th. He might be a D3 fan and one of the most aggressive posters about it, but the dude has never made me feel like I was wasting my time.

Also, I feel like I should contribute more to the feedback boards but they just don't get the traffic of this one. It's a big shame because I've seen lots of great ideas in there.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
Autocthon wrote:

I have never understood the WoW hate. Really is it because it's an actually accessible MMO? Like how Everquest (and nearly every single previous MMO) was? I mean niche games are good and all, but EVERYONE loves CoD and it's hardly hardcore in the game area.

Here's a small truth. I don't hate WoW. And here's another level of the secret. I don't really hate D3 either.

I'm just really disappointed in them both.

I wish I hated them. Hate I cannot rationalise, cannot even really talk about. I don't hate many things at all, but the things I do hate, I don't talk about. There's no changing my mind on what I hate, and thus talking about it has no value.

Disappointment, however, is something we all like to dwell on, because some part of us really feels like maybe we're wrong. Maybe we don't deserve to be disappointed. Maybe there's something we're not seeing.

In 2005, WoW disappointed me greatly. It was the great sign to me that Blizzard had fallen out of love with their own playerbase on Battle.net. You either migrated to WoW or you clung to Bnet and reminisced on the days when Blizzard gave a damn about it. (not that there weren't many problems back then as well, of course -- good grief were there ever!)

And now, D3 has disappointed me not as a Blizzard fan (that died in 2005), but as a Diablo fan.

...so it's not hate, at least not from me. It's almost sorrow.

PS I hate COD, because I hate most FPSes and the types of players they tend to attract.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Nobody really hates the game... I think everyone is posting out of the difference between what they wanted and what they got... which in the end makes them want to cry, and thus invokes a question of 'why' and generates opinions based on the difference they see.

In the end, it's just a game... and it won't be a bad game to play.

People who had no expectations or who can easily let go of previous expectations will not see a problem, and will love it for what it is, as the difference between what they wanted and what they got is effectively zero... which is the case for many posters here. It'll be much much easier for those people to enjoy what the man*power of Blizzard can create in the small details that bring their games to life, because they aren't overshadowed by all that other mental clutter.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
zeto wrote:

Nowhere in there was I hating on WOW. That doesn't mean that it hasn't influenced D3, nor does it mean that it should have.

I mean that everyone always talks about WoW like anything that could ever spawn from it will be inherently bad. Like the game is some kind of disease. Even the language used to refer to it is passively derogatory. I mean people might not notice it, but you can tell when someone doesn't like something.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
"
Autocthon wrote:
I mean that everyone always talks about WoW like anything that could ever spawn from it will be inherently bad. Like the game is some kind of disease. Even the language used to refer to it is passively derogatory.
Yeah, I must say the phrase "indoctrinated by WOW" stood out to me as pretty horrible.
"
Autocthon wrote:

I mean that everyone always talks about WoW like anything that could ever spawn from it will be inherently bad. Like the game is some kind of disease. Even the language used to refer to it is passively derogatory. I mean people might not notice it, but you can tell when someone doesn't like something.

What you are referring to are like ad hominem arguments. They are logical fallacies, and you have no reason to challenge their position, because such arguments are inherently flawed.

In other words, they don't know what they are talking about, so you can simply ignore them as trolls.
IGN: Sonalia, Arkimond
Last edited by Tommerbob on Apr 26, 2012, 1:11:43 AM
"
"
Autocthon wrote:

Here's a small truth. I don't hate WoW. And here's another level of the secret. I don't really hate D3 either.

I'm just really disappointed in them both.

I wish I hated them. Hate I cannot rationalise, cannot even really talk about. I don't hate many things at all, but the things I do hate, I don't talk about. There's no changing my mind on what I hate, and thus talking about it has no value.

Disappointment, however, is something we all like to dwell on, because some part of us really feels like maybe we're wrong. Maybe we don't deserve to be disappointed. Maybe there's something we're not seeing.

In 2005, WoW disappointed me greatly. It was the great sign to me that Blizzard had fallen out of love with their own playerbase on Battle.net. You either migrated to WoW or you clung to Bnet and reminisced on the days when Blizzard gave a damn about it. (not that there weren't many problems back then as well, of course -- good grief were there ever!)

And now, D3 has disappointed me not as a Blizzard fan (that died in 2005), but as a Diablo fan.

...so it's not hate, at least not from me. It's almost sorrow.

PS I hate COD, because I hate most FPSes and the types of players they tend to attract.

Torchlight was made by a lot of the old devs that made the first Diablo games and it is more cartoony and less gothic and dark than Diablo 3 by far. yet it got lots of praise from players and the media alike.

So, why do you guys keep talking badly about Diablo 3? Most just mention the cartoony feel and tha is is dumbed down(yet they dont even know much since they only got to lvl 13). Of course it has changed some, it is not as realistic or dark, but it is a lot more dark than many games of the genre.

Things change over time, it cannot remain the same. Some embrace change and enjoy it and others cannot adapt and so they miss out on the new things in life.

I think Path of Exile has a more realistic and gritty look to it and it is better in some ways than those other 2 games. So in atmosphere it has the old school look of the dungeon crawlers of old.

But also ithas weaknesses same as diablo or any other game. For instance, it has borrowed its intro and character select from a failure MMORPG(age of conan) and it has copied its UI almost cut and paste from diablo games. That alone would turn off many shalow minded gamers right away calling it a "clone" of other games.

You see all games have flaws and weak points. No reason to just keep bashing a game to make you feel like you are now an elite person playing a far superior game.

I bought all 3 of these games and will enjoy all 3, i don't see why you all feel the need to choose 1 and then bash the others as if you joined a rival gang to the others.
Age of Exile, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, Torchlight 2. What a year for gaming, Collect em' all and have some fun!

Oh yea LOL and DOTA2 also for fans of MOBAs. So many games, so little time!
"
SnowGoon wrote:

No reason to just keep bashing a game to make you feel like you are now an elite person playing a far superior game.

I bought all 3 of these games and will enjoy all 3, i don't see why you all feel the need to choose 1 and then bash the others as if you joined a rival gang to the others.

You just answered your own question.
IGN: Sonalia, Arkimond
"
zeto wrote:
The thing is, if you believe that the D3 team, with it's major players coming directly out of WOW, was not *primarily* influenced by WOW, and that the reason that they really do look similar is not because it worked in WOW, and the reason why the game as a whole was streamlined is not because it worked in WOW... then you're not really reading the situation objectively.

All the people who make the real decisions on D3, were heavily involved and indoctrinated by WOW.

That is not a completely bad thing, in some aspects I'm sure it DOES make D3 better... but in some ways it'll certainly make it worse as well... and in many aspects it will be entirely up to the individual to decide if it was a good change or not.

But they are simply not completely separate teams... a significant majority of input has come from the WOW side of the fence by bringing in man-power from that team.

The majority of players will not come from wow, that's a blatant lie. As I said, diablo 2 alone has well over 10 million sales as I recall.

And although there is certainly some truth to be found in what you said, the thing about subjectivity applies to you as well, except the other way around.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info