Difference between Blizzard and GGG

"
SnowGoon wrote:
"
Speaking of slippery buggers, Bashiok is spectacularly agile with words. I'd be jealous if I didn't understand it's part of his very unenviable job.

This should be fun.

Bashiok: I think it's a symptom of the beta where you're in the part of the game where we're very deliberately guiding players by handing out a skill here, a rune there. It's really a crafted and linear experience to start (both in system introduction and environment) because the first couple hours are the most crucial to a successful and long term experience. We're not in the mindset to drop all of the game systems on you and say "Good luck, sucker!"

To some the approach we're taking is likely a turnoff because they want to feel like they're part of an elite group able to figure out complex and obtuse game systems, and be challenged the second the game begins. I think if they stick with it they'll find that there is a ton of depth and complexity to the game. We put the depth into the gameplay, skill, and decision making itself and not the requirement to overcome the UI or understand how the game even works.

Me: if 'elite group' refers to the people who had no trouble figuring out Diablo 2 without hand-holding at the beginning, then I seriously question the current definition of 'elite', because there were some DUMB MOFOS playing that game just fine. This is surprisingly strong a term for Bashiok. I'm impressed. Of course, I happily wear the mantle of 'elitist' in an age where caring about spelling whenever one writes, thinking for one's self, not being afraid to ask questions and research if one doesn't know, and most importantly, a willingness to experiment and make mistakes in order to learn are all traits of the 'elitist' and not 'the average person.'

Bashiok: If you're one of those players you're going to blaze through Normal, hit Nightmare, and things are going to start feeling really good for you. You just have to understand that not everyone is like you, and we're making the game so a wide range of people can enjoy it.

Me: I find this quite condescending! 'One of those players' indeed. I'm certainly not 'one of those players' -- most of PoE remains virtually arcane to me, the skill tree might as well be the Tree of Sefiroth for all I can understand it. But it intrigues me; its mystery is most likely the same as its secret, and that secret is of course there is no secret. It's huge and tantalising and probably very simple once you understand it.

I doubt I'd blaze through Normal D3. Very much so. I think I'd get bored of it before doing so. And if it bores me the first time, it's not going to be that much more interesting to me the next. I simply do not fit into the imagined player-bases at Blizzard 2.0, which is sad because Blizzard 1.0 made me the way I am, the most it allowed me to throw a sword into the necromancer's hand and use his bone spells for defence, his curses as offence.

I was right. It was fun. Much more fun than Bashiok's explanation for the word 'rocket' being used in Sanctuary, that's for sure. :)

The thing is that even if there is a super complex skill system in place, people use the internet to look up the "best" builds and follow them and it takes all thinking away from the system anyway.

So, the best system would be something that lets you have many options and re-do your skills when you want to. It allows you freedom to try different and new things. Thus, you will not always just choose what is "best" since you can always try that later.

When you lock people into not being able to spec over or limit them, or make things more complex than they need to be, then they will just choose a pre-built cookie cutter from online and never actually play for themselves but follow in the footsteps of an already proven character.

That is my problem with people bashing games calling them too simple just because you don't drop all loot when you die or where you are not stuck with a build unless you start over. In reality those type of things are outdated and not fun anymore to the majority of players and it has nothing to do with difficulty or how smart you are or aren't at all.

Every time you say 'people', I am brought back to the gentle condescension of Bashiok's 'those people'. This idea of cookie cutter builds dominating a game is something with which I have a fair bit of trouble. Oh, I know they're prevalent in the larger game, but part of why I like these 'instanced' games is I can be completely myopic and pretend they don't exist. This has worked for me ever since the advent of D2 in 2001.

What you consider 'outdated and not fun anymore' are some of the core appealing factors of Path of Exile, particularly in light of the recent cut-throat mode. And you're on Path of Exile's board -- not sure if you're still aware of that or not.

So calling key factors to a popular play-style here 'outdated not fun anymore' is...I dunno, somewhat out-of-place, to me. It might be true of a lot of other people, 'those people' if you will, but it's not true here.

And that's the beauty of it all. For those who feel cut-throat's style is outdated and not fun, there's other games, other modes. And for those that do enjoy it, there it is.

But if you're going to out-and-out refer to cut-throat's style as 'outdated' and 'not fun', people who disagree and going to do so, and not all of them are going to be as diplomatic as I strive to be. Thus D3 bashing from those who very much dislike being called 'outdated' and being told their idea of fun is 'not fun' and that real fun is what D3 offers. Of course they're going to disagree, and they're going to disagree here because they can. Because they won't be censored for it, or have their threads deleted. Because they know that their opinion isn't that likely to attract dozens of knee-jerk reactions, as they might elsewhere.

It's all a bit chicken and egg, really. Do people with 'outdated' tastes bash D3, as you so gracelessly put it, because they feel it has moved too far from its roots, or has D3 moved so far from its roots that 'outdated' people feel the need to 'bash' it?

Of course, the solution is to forget chickens and eggs and eat whatever the hell you want.

I'd offer a tl;dr but you seem to read quite thoroughly, so I'll just throw this in there: 'outdated' is not a nice thing to call a game on its own board and around the people who really enjoy and appreciate it.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
"
SnowGoon wrote:
"
Speaking of slippery buggers, Bashiok is spectacularly agile with words. I'd be jealous if I didn't understand it's part of his very unenviable job.

This should be fun.

Bashiok: I think it's a symptom of the beta where you're in the part of the game where we're very deliberately guiding players by handing out a skill here, a rune there. It's really a crafted and linear experience to start (both in system introduction and environment) because the first couple hours are the most crucial to a successful and long term experience. We're not in the mindset to drop all of the game systems on you and say "Good luck, sucker!"

To some the approach we're taking is likely a turnoff because they want to feel like they're part of an elite group able to figure out complex and obtuse game systems, and be challenged the second the game begins. I think if they stick with it they'll find that there is a ton of depth and complexity to the game. We put the depth into the gameplay, skill, and decision making itself and not the requirement to overcome the UI or understand how the game even works.

Me: if 'elite group' refers to the people who had no trouble figuring out Diablo 2 without hand-holding at the beginning, then I seriously question the current definition of 'elite', because there were some DUMB MOFOS playing that game just fine. This is surprisingly strong a term for Bashiok. I'm impressed. Of course, I happily wear the mantle of 'elitist' in an age where caring about spelling whenever one writes, thinking for one's self, not being afraid to ask questions and research if one doesn't know, and most importantly, a willingness to experiment and make mistakes in order to learn are all traits of the 'elitist' and not 'the average person.'

Bashiok: If you're one of those players you're going to blaze through Normal, hit Nightmare, and things are going to start feeling really good for you. You just have to understand that not everyone is like you, and we're making the game so a wide range of people can enjoy it.

Me: I find this quite condescending! 'One of those players' indeed. I'm certainly not 'one of those players' -- most of PoE remains virtually arcane to me, the skill tree might as well be the Tree of Sefiroth for all I can understand it. But it intrigues me; its mystery is most likely the same as its secret, and that secret is of course there is no secret. It's huge and tantalising and probably very simple once you understand it.

I doubt I'd blaze through Normal D3. Very much so. I think I'd get bored of it before doing so. And if it bores me the first time, it's not going to be that much more interesting to me the next. I simply do not fit into the imagined player-bases at Blizzard 2.0, which is sad because Blizzard 1.0 made me the way I am, the most it allowed me to throw a sword into the necromancer's hand and use his bone spells for defence, his curses as offence.

I was right. It was fun. Much more fun than Bashiok's explanation for the word 'rocket' being used in Sanctuary, that's for sure. :)

The thing is that even if there is a super complex skill system in place, people use the internet to look up the "best" builds and follow them and it takes all thinking away from the system anyway.

So, the best system would be something that lets you have many options and re-do your skills when you want to. It allows you freedom to try different and new things. Thus, you will not always just choose what is "best" since you can always try that later.

When you lock people into not being able to spec over or limit them, or make things more complex than they need to be, then they will just choose a pre-built cookie cutter from online and never actually play for themselves but follow in the footsteps of an already proven character.

That is my problem with people bashing games calling them too simple just because you don't drop all loot when you die or where you are not stuck with a build unless you start over. In reality those type of things are outdated and not fun anymore to the majority of players and it has nothing to do with difficulty or how smart you are or aren't at all.

Every time you say 'people', I am brought back to the gentle condescension of Bashiok's 'those people'. This idea of cookie cutter builds dominating a game is something with which I have a fair bit of trouble. Oh, I know they're prevalent in the larger game, but part of why I like these 'instanced' games is I can be completely myopic and pretend they don't exist. This has worked for me ever since the advent of D2 in 2001.

What you consider 'outdated and not fun anymore' are some of the core appealing factors of Path of Exile, particularly in light of the recent cut-throat mode. And you're on Path of Exile's board -- not sure if you're still aware of that or not.

So calling key factors to a popular play-style here 'outdated not fun anymore' is...I dunno, somewhat out-of-place, to me. It might be true of a lot of other people, 'those people' if you will, but it's not true here.

And that's the beauty of it all. For those who feel cut-throat's style is outdated and not fun, there's other games, other modes. And for those that do enjoy it, there it is.

But if you're going to out-and-out refer to cut-throat's style as 'outdated' and 'not fun', people who disagree and going to do so, and not all of them are going to be as diplomatic as I strive to be. Thus D3 bashing from those who very much dislike being called 'outdated' and being told their idea of fun is 'not fun' and that real fun is what D3 offers. Of course they're going to disagree, and they're going to disagree here because they can. Because they won't be censored for it, or have their threads deleted. Because they know that their opinion isn't that likely to attract dozens of knee-jerk reactions, as they might elsewhere.

It's all a bit chicken and egg, really. Do people with 'outdated' tastes bash D3, as you so gracelessly put it, because they feel it has moved too far from its roots, or has D3 moved so far from its roots that 'outdated' people feel the need to 'bash' it?

Of course, the solution is to forget chickens and eggs and eat whatever the hell you want.

I'd offer a tl;dr but you seem to read quite thoroughly, so I'll just throw this in there: 'outdated' is not a nice thing to call a game on its own board and around the people who really enjoy and appreciate it.

I said most people find those to be outdated features of a game. It does not mean all do. Also most people would rather have more choices and more freedom when speccing and building their character. Some don't since they cannot accept change and are only happy in familiar surroundings and ways.

This does not mean I can't enjoy PAO or that what PAO is doing is bad. I like all kinds of games and both styles. I really am glad PAO exists and showed it by buying it while its in beta and where it is a free game.

So, I can accept the old and enjoy it, but I can also say, "wow something new let me try it" and enjoy D3 and torchlight too. I don't limit myself as a gamer ever. If its fun to me I play it. And i will try it a while to see if its fun or not before deciding about it or letting others decide it for me.

I said things like dropping all your loot when you die and locking players into having little to no way of re-speccing are outdated systems. Its not calling PAO anything. Its not saying its bad, its just old-fashioned and a beaten path. Many love it because it reminds them of the good ol' days.

Pretty much my way of seeing the comparison is that both games are enjoyable, but different and the companies had reasons for how they made the games.

I think PAO is more old-school gameplay than the other 2 games(D23 & TL2), but that is not bad. It is why it will be able to survive. It is the niche game for when you want to enjoy the darker and older type of game in the genre.

This thread says to point out differences between the companies. That is all i am trying to do. I like both games very much and give both their fair evaluation without bias.

GGG chose to go with something old-school and follow the path of D2 and try to continue that. They chose more mature graphics with the blood and realism. They took ideas from age of conan too and it will appeal to many that were looking for more of the same with some minor changes. Its not bad, its a nice idea because they knew many still play D2 and wish it was updated and they will do that. They don't have the money to take big risks yet.

Blizzard chose to make some bigger changes and update its class/skill system and bring the game more into the modern day of gaming where you have more freedom to change your character and not be stuck with choices you made before you even knew what was going on. Blizz has the money to risk and lose some players with these changes, but they may gain a ton more by making this genre more appealing to a wider audience while keeping most of their old players at the same time.

Both games have permadeath characters and multiple difficulties that promise to challenge players.

In the end, I think playing both games and in my case even a 3rd is the best choice because i can get the nostalgic feeling with AOE and then experience new things with D3 and TL2. Win-Win situation for me.
Age of Exile, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, Torchlight 2. What a year for gaming, Collect em' all and have some fun!

Oh yea LOL and DOTA2 also for fans of MOBAs. So many games, so little time!
Last edited by SnowGoon on Apr 26, 2012, 9:40:08 PM
Then it would appear an agreement has been reached. :)

That said, I posted much earlier in this thread about how silly I find any sort of comparison between the two companies, and stand by my words now as then.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Wait a minute, if stats customization is done with gems, that means Blizzard came up with this system so they could make more money off the RMAH.

Keep sinking yourselves, D3 peoples.

I have to admit, I am impressed with the synergy Blizzard managed to create between DRM and money grubbing schemes. The always online thing, is to make people feel like they're playing an MMO (WoW) and feel compelled to use an auction house.

Since WoW works like this already, save for hub cities where everybody meets, I can see how it would encourage WoW players to spend money on Diablo3.

Slap some achievements on it to keep people interested and it's an AAA title ready to launch.
Last edited by xxnoob on Apr 26, 2012, 9:50:28 PM
"
Then it would appear an agreement has been reached. :)

That said, I posted much earlier in this thread about how silly I find any sort of comparison between the two companies, and stand by my words now as then.

Yea I agree with you mostly.

I also want to say you are a heck of a gamer to put your money where your mouth is and give that big support to this company. Really am glad people like you exist it is what makes these smaller companies able to bring us these great games to play.

I probably would be like you but my bank account doesn't allow it for now. I can only afford what I can, but I am as passionate as you are about games and supporting companies that deserve it.

So I think I'm done with this thread, i'm sure I'll see you in another soon.

Long Live Path of Exile!!!

Age of Exile, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, Torchlight 2. What a year for gaming, Collect em' all and have some fun!

Oh yea LOL and DOTA2 also for fans of MOBAs. So many games, so little time!
I'm not here to kiss the arse of either GGG or Blizzard. I'm having a good time with both games, both of which are still in Beta.

Although PoE is much deeper in terms of equipment/skill system, Diablo 3 is still good fun for quick thrills.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info