Difference between Blizzard and GGG

"
Tagek wrote:
You simply don't know, you're just assuming they never did.

true
I do know that blizzard heavily censors their forum, to the degree they can. This is certainly true. I've seen totally innocuous threads get the hammer brought down, just because the topic was about something such as: "why health orbs dropping is a bad system"
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
zeto wrote:
I do know that blizzard heavily censors their forum, to the degree they can. This is certainly true. I've seen totally innocuous threads get the hammer brought down, just because the topic was about something such as: "why health orbs dropping is a bad system"

I can see why they deleted that.
Even just the thread title is implying the OP's opinion is fact. With a title like that I wouldn't expect the content of the thread being very contstructive / friendly.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
Last edited by Tagek on Apr 26, 2012, 3:58:26 PM
"
Tagek wrote:
"
zeto wrote:

I can see why they deleted that.
Even just the thread title is implying the OP's opinion is fact. With a title like that I wouldn't expect the content of the thread being very contstructive / friendly.

It's more likely because it was a repeat thread of an overdone topic. In other words: spam.
"
"
SnowGoon wrote:

Torchlight was made by a lot of the old devs that made the first Diablo games and it is more cartoony and less gothic and dark than Diablo 3 by far. yet it got lots of praise from players and the media alike.

So, why do you guys keep talking badly about Diablo 3? Most just mention the cartoony feel and tha is is dumbed down(yet they dont even know much since they only got to lvl 13). Of course it has changed some, it is not as realistic or dark, but it is a lot more dark than many games of the genre.

Things change over time, it cannot remain the same. Some embrace change and enjoy it and others cannot adapt and so they miss out on the new things in life.

I think Path of Exile has a more realistic and gritty look to it and it is better in some ways than those other 2 games. So in atmosphere it has the old school look of the dungeon crawlers of old.

But also ithas weaknesses same as diablo or any other game. For instance, it has borrowed its intro and character select from a failure MMORPG(age of conan) and it has copied its UI almost cut and paste from diablo games. That alone would turn off many shalow minded gamers right away calling it a "clone" of other games.

You see all games have flaws and weak points. No reason to just keep bashing a game to make you feel like you are now an elite person playing a far superior game.

I bought all 3 of these games and will enjoy all 3, i don't see why you all feel the need to choose 1 and then bash the others as if you joined a rival gang to the others.

When you say 'you guys' I'm going to assume that you quoted me to include me in your target audience. Which is strange, because what you've said doesn't even respond to what I said. Not in the slightest. Nowhere in my post do I 'bash' any game at all, and quite frankly, I'm slightly insulted you'd perceive my very careful language as something so crass as 'bashing'.

So next time you want to lash out at the anti-D3 crowd, try not to include someone who has repeatedly stated that both games have their appeal, both games succeed at what they set out to do and both games CAN and SHOULD co-exist.

Thank you.

If you never talked badly about Diablo 3 then I was not talking to you. My post said "So, why do you guys keep talking badly about Diablo 3?"

It means to all those that have been talking badly about it. If you are not part of that, then it was not directed to you at all. I meant that Torchlight uses the most cartoony look and they are also former diablo devs, so why do the diablo haters not mention that game too? It is very popular and also in the same genre.

I bought all 3 games as I said, I am a fan of games, not one developer or another and I don't need to defend one game over another. I enjoy comparing games fairly and there is always one better than another, but you can enjoy more than one or two at a time still.

Age of Exile, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, Torchlight 2. What a year for gaming, Collect em' all and have some fun!

Oh yea LOL and DOTA2 also for fans of MOBAs. So many games, so little time!
Fair enough, Goon. Next time, then, please don't quote me unless you're addressing me specifically. It's a tad confusing and I feel utterly obliged by some modicum of etiquette to respond to anyone who does quote me.

Btw I have spoken badly about D3 but never without qualification, justification and explanation. So maybe you were addressing me. I can't quite tell. Your response just now was a little slippery. :)
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
This should end all the discussions about how people are bashing D3 saying it guides you around like a noob or that it is not hardcore enough, etc.

From a Blizzard community manager (Bashiok) post (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4571558539?page=4):

"
I think it's a symptom of the beta where you're in the part of the game where we're very deliberately guiding players by handing out a skill here, a rune there. It's really a crafted and linear experience to start (both in system introduction and environment) because the first couple hours are the most crucial to a successful and long term experience. We're not in the mindset to drop all of the game systems on you and say "Good luck, sucker!"

To some the approach we're taking is likely a turnoff because they want to feel like they're part of an elite group able to figure out complex and obtuse game systems, and be challenged the second the game begins. I think if they stick with it they'll find that there is a ton of depth and complexity to the game. We put the depth into the gameplay, skill, and decision making itself and not the requirement to overcome the UI or understand how the game even works.

If you're one of those players you're going to blaze through Normal, hit Nightmare, and things are going to start feeling really good for you. You just have to understand that not everyone is like you, and we're making the game so a wide range of people can enjoy it.

It pretty much explains how people that call themselves "hardcore" think. They believe that if a game has a difficult and many times cumbersome and not so fun mechanic that it means its meant for them since they think only they can figure it out and overcome it. They don't realize that almost everyone can overcome it they just feel it is not fun and so prefer a more fun setup.

Also this explains how the beta is not showing you the real difficulty and depth of the D3 game and is only pretty much a tutorial and beginner island experience.

I believe all 3 games are going to be very fun, PAO, D3 and TL2. So, I don't like seeing people bash any games without having proof and firsthand experience to talk. Realize that none of us know how the games really are until we play them up to the later levels and areas.
Age of Exile, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, Torchlight 2. What a year for gaming, Collect em' all and have some fun!

reserved

Last edited by SnowGoon on Apr 26, 2012, 7:41:29 PM
Speaking of slippery buggers, Bashiok is spectacularly agile with words. I'd be jealous if I didn't understand it's part of his very unenviable job.

This should be fun.

Bashiok: I think it's a symptom of the beta where you're in the part of the game where we're very deliberately guiding players by handing out a skill here, a rune there. It's really a crafted and linear experience to start (both in system introduction and environment) because the first couple hours are the most crucial to a successful and long term experience. We're not in the mindset to drop all of the game systems on you and say "Good luck, sucker!"

To some the approach we're taking is likely a turnoff because they want to feel like they're part of an elite group able to figure out complex and obtuse game systems, and be challenged the second the game begins. I think if they stick with it they'll find that there is a ton of depth and complexity to the game. We put the depth into the gameplay, skill, and decision making itself and not the requirement to overcome the UI or understand how the game even works.

Me: if 'elite group' refers to the people who had no trouble figuring out Diablo 2 without hand-holding at the beginning, then I seriously question the current definition of 'elite', because there were some DUMB MOFOS playing that game just fine. This is surprisingly strong a term for Bashiok. I'm impressed. Of course, I happily wear the mantle of 'elitist' in an age where caring about spelling whenever one writes, thinking for one's self, not being afraid to ask questions and research if one doesn't know, and most importantly, a willingness to experiment and make mistakes in order to learn are all traits of the 'elitist' and not 'the average person.'

Bashiok: If you're one of those players you're going to blaze through Normal, hit Nightmare, and things are going to start feeling really good for you. You just have to understand that not everyone is like you, and we're making the game so a wide range of people can enjoy it.

Me: I find this quite condescending! 'One of those players' indeed. I'm certainly not 'one of those players' -- most of PoE remains virtually arcane to me, the skill tree might as well be the Tree of Sefiroth for all I can understand it. But it intrigues me; its mystery is most likely the same as its secret, and that secret is of course there is no secret. It's huge and tantalising and probably very simple once you understand it.

I doubt I'd blaze through Normal D3. Very much so. I think I'd get bored of it before doing so. And if it bores me the first time, it's not going to be that much more interesting to me the next. I simply do not fit into the imagined player-bases at Blizzard 2.0, which is sad because Blizzard 1.0 made me the way I am, the most it allowed me to throw a sword into the necromancer's hand and use his bone spells for defence, his curses as offence.

I was right. It was fun. Much more fun than Bashiok's explanation for the word 'rocket' being used in Sanctuary, that's for sure. :)
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Apr 26, 2012, 8:02:58 PM
"
Speaking of slippery buggers, Bashiok is spectacularly agile with words. I'd be jealous if I didn't understand it's part of his very unenviable job.

This should be fun.

Bashiok: I think it's a symptom of the beta where you're in the part of the game where we're very deliberately guiding players by handing out a skill here, a rune there. It's really a crafted and linear experience to start (both in system introduction and environment) because the first couple hours are the most crucial to a successful and long term experience. We're not in the mindset to drop all of the game systems on you and say "Good luck, sucker!"

Me: if 'elite group' refers to the people who had no trouble figuring out Diablo 2 without hand-holding at the beginning, then I seriously question the current definition of 'elite', because there were some DUMB MOFOS playing that game just fine. This is surprisingly strong a term for Bashiok. I'm impressed. Of course, I happily wear the mantle of 'elitist' in an age where caring about spelling whenever one writes, thinking for one's self, not being afraid to ask questions and research if one doesn't know, and most importantly, a willingness to experiment and make mistakes in order to learn are all traits of the 'elitist' and not 'the average person.'

Bashiok: If you're one of those players you're going to blaze through Normal, hit Nightmare, and things are going to start feeling really good for you. You just have to understand that not everyone is like you, and we're making the game so a wide range of people can enjoy it.

Me: I find this quite condescending! 'One of those players' indeed. I'm certainly not 'one of those players' -- most of PoE remains virtually arcane to me, the skill tree might as well be the Tree of Sefiroth for all I can understand it. But it intrigues me; its mystery is most likely the same as its secret, and that secret is of course there is no secret. It's huge and tantalising and probably very simple once you understand it.

I doubt I'd blaze through Normal D3. Very much so. I think I'd get bored of it before doing so. And if it bores me the first time, it's not going to be that much more interesting to me the next. I simply do not fit into the imagined player-bases at Blizzard 2.0, which is sad because Blizzard 1.0 made me the way I am, the most it allowed me to throw a sword into the necromancer's hand and use his bone spells for defence, his curses as offence.

I was right. It was fun. Much more fun than Bashiok's explanation for the word 'rocket' being used in Sanctuary, that's for sure. :)

The thing is that even if there is a super complex skill system in place, people use the internet to look up the "best" builds and follow them and it takes all thinking away from the system anyway.

So, the best system would be something that lets you have many options and re-do your skills when you want to. It allows you freedom to try different and new things. Thus, you will not always just choose what is "best" since you can always try that later.

When you lock people into not being able to spec over or limit them, or make things more complex than they need to be, then they will just choose a pre-built cookie cutter from online and never actually play for themselves but follow in the footsteps of an already proven character.

That is my problem with people bashing games calling them too simple just because you don't drop all loot when you die or where you are not stuck with a build unless you start over. In reality those type of things are outdated and not fun anymore to the majority of players and it has nothing to do with difficulty or how smart you are or aren't at all.

Last edited by SnowGoon on Apr 26, 2012, 8:15:13 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info