So we will lose our 6-links with 4.0? :'(

Given the difficulties associated with inventory space, it's extremely likely they won't implement an auto-conversion algorithm on every character.

More likely is something like a disabled ("cannot be worn") flag placed on all existing armors which will behave as if you do not have enough stats. They could even do a quick-and-dirty 10k str requirement to get the same effect.

So the conversion would happen upon vendoring the item, presumably with gems still inside it. This would return the converted armor and the gems, with active gems presumably already six-linked (like someone in this thread already suggested as a solution).

What's to keep players from gaming the system and stuffing a six-link with six active gems? Well, that could be handled at the recipe algorithm level, and they could impose whatever limitation they feel is appropriate.

If someone comes up with a better idea than this which gains traction in the community, GGG will likely go with that instead. I'm sure they've instructed the mods (or whoever it is that reads the forums and filters out the very few posts worth reading by higher-ups) to keep an eye on community ideas for solutions.
Wash your hands, Exile!
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
Given the difficulties associated with inventory space, it's extremely likely they won't implement an auto-conversion algorithm on every character.

More likely is something like a disabled ("cannot be worn") flag placed on all existing armors which will behave as if you do not have enough stats. They could even do a quick-and-dirty 10k str requirement to get the same effect.

So the conversion would happen upon vendoring the item, presumably with gems still inside it. This would return the converted armor and the gems, with active gems presumably already six-linked (like someone in this thread already suggested as a solution).

What's to keep players from gaming the system and stuffing a six-link with six active gems? Well, that could be handled at the recipe algorithm level, and they could impose whatever limitation they feel is appropriate.

If someone comes up with a better idea than this which gains traction in the community, GGG will likely go with that instead. I'm sure they've instructed the mods (or whoever it is that reads the forums and filters out the very few posts worth reading by higher-ups) to keep an eye on community ideas for solutions.

Suddenly making a chest unable to be worn would be extremely confusing for any player that's not keeping up with the game, because I can tell you my first instinct would NOT be to just vendor it because it out of nowhere has a 10k stat requirement.

However the downtime will likely be hours, giving them plenty of time to just auto convert, and all the gems go into new remove only tabs.
"
zarlox wrote:
"
shishkabob wrote:
I wonder if they'll make 6 socketing gems more difficult than it is to currently 6 socket an item. 6 socketing isn't anywhere near as bad as 6 linking, so with links going away I could see them making it more difficult to 6 socket a gem.

Oh! it can't be as easy as 6 socketing... its gonna have to stay at the level of 6L diffidculty.

Already, 6 socketing a gem will allow to use any hard to find unique without having to link them anymore so at the very least a 6S gem needs to be hard to roll.

During the Exile Con livestream (dont ask me where exactly) GGG said that
a) lots of testing and changes are still happening
b) atm it looks like 6linking a gem will be one third of the work of six linking a chest (the reasoning being that you then can have 9 6links instead of just 1 or 2)

Then again, 6linking in trade leagues is hard only because fusings are expensiv-ish (which is entirely determined by supply and demand), same will go for 6linking gems imo.
Let tomorrow be about solutions. Today is about vengeance.
- John Oliver

Had a Chaos-DoT-Caster-guide for any class, then 2021 patches happened^^ https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2485596
Last edited by Lightelder on Nov 22, 2019, 12:31:46 AM
"
Bleu42 wrote:
"
gibbousmoon wrote:

Suddenly making a chest unable to be worn would be extremely confusing for any player that's not keeping up with the game, because I can tell you my first instinct would NOT be to just vendor it because it out of nowhere has a 10k stat requirement.

However the downtime will likely be hours, giving them plenty of time to just auto convert, and all the gems go into new remove only tabs.

Giving rise to all the complaints that are posted in this thread about removing the value of 6-links (did you read it?). That is a horrible idea, which will invite a great deal of backlash. Even warning players ahead of time (so they can socket things in advance) would not solve the problem; they will have to give players some degree of agency in when and how the conversion takes place if they don't want a PR nightmare on their hands.

Your point about confusing returning players is well made, but as I said literally 5 lines above in the very post you quoted, any idea they do use almost certainly will have already been well vetted by the community.

GGG may be many things, but complete and utter fools regarding the business ramifications of their actions is not one of them.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last edited by gibbousmoon on Nov 22, 2019, 3:08:26 AM
"
gandhar0 wrote:
Jonathan explained that you now have to find 6L skill gems instead of armours.

Yes, which is going to be an RNG nightmare that the farm bots are going to love to pieces. Probably Uber Lab farmers will find more of them than the rest of us casuals.

6L needs to *NOT* be the freaking de-rigueur requirement for end game (for us casuals, I know super skilled players can do Uber Elder on a 4L with 700 life... but I can't). They should be readily available rather than a farm bot's currency wet dream.
Patch Notes 3.15:
Fixed a bug where players believed the game was playable. This has been corrected and made retroactive.
Patch Notes 3.19:
Fixed a bug where players adapted to 3.15. This bug cannot be corrected, so we have implemented a 90% reduction in item access as a punishment.
"
kobrakhan wrote:
for standard players, this is a heavy strike. and r.i.p. tabula

That's something that I completely fail to understand. Was one of the best leveling items now allowes you to have 8 instead of six 6-links. Can't imagine anything more useless for a leveling item.....
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
"
Bleu42 wrote:
"
gibbousmoon wrote:

Giving rise to all the complaints that are posted in this thread about removing the value of 6-links (did you read it?). That is a horrible idea, which will invite a great deal of backlash. Even warning players ahead of time (so they can socket things in advance) would not solve the problem; they will have to give players some degree of agency in when and how the conversion takes place if they don't want a PR nightmare on their hands.

Your point about confusing returning players is well made, but as I said literally 5 lines above in the very post you quoted, any idea they do use almost certainly will have already been well vetted by the community.

GGG may be many things, but complete and utter fools regarding the business ramifications of their actions is not one of them.

Are we under the impression that they're NOT going to mass convert ALL socketed armor to non socket? It's going to happen, they said as much themselves.

I was just addressing the inventory space problem when it comes to the destination of all the skill gems IN armor at the time of conversion. The simplest way imo would just be remove only tabs generated and filled with all gems taken out of armor.

Unless we're talking about something else and I just missed the point, which of course is very possible.
Maybe they could give us a currency that would 5L any gem we have for each 6L we have (not Tabla or any other auto 6L). Wouldn't drop... but would be tradable.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Nov 22, 2019, 8:00:32 PM
What I don't know in POE 2.0:
Will be every active gem be capable to store 2-5 support gems in it even if it is not in a item socket but is stored in inventory or stash?

I don't see a solution to keep or compensate the value of expensive 5L and 6L items.

My suggestion for automatic conversion:

1) All gems in items are moved to new rmv-only tabs.
Or better for us:
They give us a new special stash gem tab, so no extra tabs are needed.

2) For every 6L armor and weapon you get 10 new currency items "Gem6".
15-20? of these Gem6 can be used to 6L (= 5 socket) a gem.

3) For every 5L item you get one Gem6.
Because these items loose some value too.

4) For every 6S item (that is not a 5L or 6L) you get 2-4 jewellers.

5) All items are converted to POE 2.0 items.
In one of the videos from Exilecon Jonathan said, items which grant
special skills get extra/special sockets.

6) Every fusing is converted to 4 jewellers.

"
gibbousmoon wrote:

Interesting speculation, I suspect it might be easier for GGG to solve the space issue a different way though. For example, GGG could just create a remove only tab and put anything in there that they wanted. Such a solution might be easier to implement and be more sure that unforeseen side effects could cause problems? This would also avoid the issue of having to carry little used vendor recipe code to in perpetuity.

edit: Here's some fodder for thought. I was wondering how many 6L items I have in standard. So I counted and I have 18 6L items. To put this into context, I play leagues versus standard about 50% - 50%. Also, I don't keep characters around. I strip my characters after I'm done plying them and put the gear up for sale.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Last edited by Turtledove on Nov 23, 2019, 12:39:54 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info