Diablo 4 Would Kill Path of Exile

"
Crackmonster wrote:
D3 is just so lame, it's so shallow after 1-3 days you are in the hamster wheel using exact same items just getting better stats on same items so you can do exact same content just a little bit harder. I mean come on, can't you see through how waste of life that is?

ill be honest, im done with poe leagues after 2-3 days, pretty much consistently for what feels like years now, its gone from like 2 weeks and dead to 1 week and dead, 4 days, 3 days, last league i played i felt done after 2 days and this one now i didnt even log in to try it.

in d3 when i go there for a season i last a week or 2, even now. I think the reason is because the gameplay is more fun and theres actual challenging content, I can go and play rifts so hard and pressured that its actually unlikely ill be abel to complete them. I can try, and try again, and again, and then succeed, and then step up again. I actually have to think while playing them, its actually got second by second gameplay challenge, make or break decisions and plays to be made in the moment.

What do I get with poe? I faceroll 10 acts, then faceroll white maps, faceroll yellow maps, faceroll red maps and then after a week or mor eof faceroll I have to go through some elaborate rng routine to get access to something like uber elder or uber atziri that potentially takes 10s upon 10s of hours to farm ur way into... then u get like what? 10 minutes of challenging gameplay and ur done again, you got to go back and sleepwalk through 10s upon 10s upon 10s of hours of bullshit faceroll again... is that not a waste of life? feels like MORE of a waste to me than D3.

all the builds and options, 99% of it amounts to nothing. I can take a skill and do it pure phys, mixed flat ele, pure flat ele with pens etc, phys to ele conversion both a pure element or mixed elements, i can go chaos with it, ailment based like burn or poison or bleed... theres a million ways I can do a given skill and theres a whole load of items etc to bring that together. Result? they all feel exactly the same, I just walk up to mobs, press the button and its the skill, whatever it is, lets say reave, all those options I get in range press mouse 1, it does the reave aoe and everything is dead. None of that theory crafting made the skill feel any different, it could be any one of a million build and item permutations, it all feels identical, and the monsters Im fighting could be any of the monsters in the game, any rarity, they would all just instantly die and do nothing to me. Its not really depth, its just needless bloat, its an illusion of depth but really theres no variety to the experience, and theres virtually no gameplay to it, no challenge.

im serious when i say I think under all the numbers and the nodes and the stats and all the bullshit I feel like d3 at this point has better moment by moment gameplay and way more legit challenge, it actually feels like a game. Poe feels like im opening boxes, project pt said it perfectly, the monsters are just loot chests that move, you click on them and they drop items, its just a loot picking up game. When I play the only thing on my mind is clearing the area in a systematic method so i dont miss any mobs and then working out what to pick up. How do I I navigate the area and pick things up in an efficient manner, thats the game, I dont think about monsters or actual action gameplay at all. Its a joke, its pathetic tbh. Because theres no challenge or gameplay theres no reason to need the items, so its a game where all you do is pick up items that you dont need and essentially just end up hiding with filters. The game isnt even playable without a filter now, so much stuff drops and so little of what drops has any reason to exist.

I dont think im a casual player, Im not an original D2 player, Im an original D1 player, Ive been at these games so long I had the first one when it first came out, and my honest take on it is that by far the biggest waste of time in this genre right now is poe, by far, it outstrips even the likes of d3 which is such a flawed game. We could criticise d3 all day but ill be playing the next d3 season and I think even its items and builds are more exciting than poe atm purely based on the fact that theres a reason for them to exist, theres essentially infinite scaling content that players are giving essentially limitless access to and that means theres a reason to pick up item upgrades and refine ur build. Poe is just 1 shot everything from act1 onwards under the promise that if you keep grinding for days and days and weeks eventually ull get 10 minutes of something that deserves to be called a game when u spawn uber elder or a mortal hope finally drops. Pointless clickerheros timewaste of a game. You dont even need to isntall poe now, just install path of building, thats where the entire game is, thats the only bit you need to actually be awake to interact with.

diablo 4, if its even half decent, if its anything above awful, will just obliterate poe at this stage, so many people just hanging on to this games corpse because theres nothing else interesting to switch to.
Last edited by Snorkle_uk on Apr 18, 2019, 11:13:39 AM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
Crackmonster wrote:
D3 is just so lame, it's so shallow after 1-3 days you are in the hamster wheel using exact same items just getting better stats on same items so you can do exact same content just a little bit harder. I mean come on, can't you see through how waste of life that is?

ill be honest, im done with poe leagues after 2-3 days, pretty much consistently for what feels like years now, its gone from like 2 weeks and dead to 1 week and dead, 4 days, 3 days, last league i played i felt done after 2 days and this one now i didnt even log in to try it.

in d3 when i go there for a season i last a week or 2, even now. I think the reason is because the gameplay is more fun and theres actual challenging content, I can go and play rifts so hard and pressured that its actually unlikely ill be abel to complete them. I can try, and try again, and again, and then succeed, and then step up again. I actually have to think while playing them, its actually got second by second gameplay challenge, make or break decisions and plays to be made in the moment.

What do I get with poe? I faceroll 10 acts, then faceroll white maps, faceroll yellow maps, faceroll red maps and then after a week or mor eof faceroll I have to go through some elaborate rng routine to get access to something like uber elder or uber atziri that potentially takes 10s upon 10s of hours to farm ur way into... then u get like what? 10 minutes of challenging gameplay and ur done again, you got to go back and sleepwalk through 10s upon 10s upon 10s of hours of bullshit faceroll again... is that not a waste of life? feels like MORE of a waste to me than D3.

all the builds and options, 99% of it amounts to nothing. I can take a skill and do it pure phys, mixed flat ele, pure flat ele with pens etc, phys to ele conversion both a pure element or mixed elements, i can go chaos with it, ailment based like burn or poison or bleed... theres a million ways I can do a given skill and theres a whole load of items etc to bring that together. Result? they all feel exactly the same, I just walk up to mobs, press the button and its the skill, whatever it is, lets say reave, all those options I get in range press mouse 1, it does the reave aoe and everything is dead. None of that theory crafting made the skill feel any different, it could be any one of a million build and item permutations, it all feels identical, and the monsters Im fighting could be any of the monsters in the game, any rarity, they would all just instantly die and do nothing to me. Its not really depth, its just needless bloat, its an illusion of depth but really theres no variety to the experience, and theres virtually no gameplay to it, no challenge.

im serious when i say I think under all the numbers and the nodes and the stats and all the bullshit I feel like d3 at this point has better moment by moment gameplay and way more legit challenge, it actually feels like a game. Poe feels like im opening boxes, project pt said it perfectly, the monsters are just loot chests that move, you click on them and they drop items, its just a loot picking up game. When I play the only thing on my mind is clearing the area in a systematic method so i dont miss any mobs and then working out what to pick up. How do I I navigate the area and pick things up in an efficient manner, thats the game, I dont think about monsters or actual action gameplay at all. Its a joke, its pathetic tbh. Because theres no challenge or gameplay theres no reason to need the items, so its a game where all you do is pick up items that you dont need and essentially just end up hiding with filters. The game isnt even playable without a filter now, so much stuff drops and so little of what drops has any reason to exist.

I dont think im a casual player, Im not an original D2 player, Im an original D1 player, Ive been at these games so long I had the first one when it first came out, and my honest take on it is that by far the biggest waste of time in this genre right now is poe, by far, it outstrips even the likes of d3 which is such a flawed game. We could criticise d3 all day but ill be playing the next d3 season and I think even its items and builds are more exciting than poe atm purely based on the fact that theres a reason for them to exist, theres essentially infinite scaling content that players are giving essentially limitless access to and that means theres a reason to pick up item upgrades and refine ur build. Poe is just 1 shot everything from act1 onwards under the promise that if you keep grinding for days and days and weeks eventually ull get 10 minutes of something that deserves to be called a game when u spawn uber elder or a mortal hope finally drops. Pointless clickerheros timewaste of a game. You dont even need to isntall poe now, just install path of building, thats where the entire game is, thats the only bit you need to actually be awake to interact with.

diablo 4, if its even half decent, if its anything above awful, will just obliterate poe at this stage, so many people just hanging on to this games corpse because theres nothing else interesting to switch to.

Wow... I almost want to go play Diablo 3 now after reading that.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

Ding ding ding, someone with a clue.

After you learn the game a bit further than basics, its very boring un-challenging and its only tedious.

All builds feel the same after a point "Just tweak it, reach above 1-2m DPS, go faceroll the content" but not before you have to grind some stupid fake requirement for a few hours.

Because there is no -real- difficulty, there is just getting 1 shotted.

I did a meme build for fun, Magma Orb Miner with Sire of Shards, and 2/3 times i killed uber elder with it, i didnt even see the phases because i simply got lucky overlaps at the bouncing of the magma orbs and the fight literally went Portals-->portal-->Portals-->Portal-->win, first kill i was panicking cause i couldnt find the shaper at the last 25%, but it was just because he got 1 shotted by the magma orbs after blinking offscreen.

Nothing skillful about me or my play, just too much damage.

I had more fun 1 week with S16 D3 despite teh game being the EXACT same thing than i had in this terrible league in 3 weeks.

Game as always this way, but unless things change drastically the game will slump if D4 is even 10% decent.

When your streamers abandon your game and league 2 weeks in to play other ARPGS, then there is something seriously wrong.
Last edited by potis on Apr 18, 2019, 12:57:06 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
Aynix wrote:
Why would Anthem have any diassapointed fans? Its not like it had any prequel. You cant be fan of a game that you dont like from the begining...
(and I doubt there are people who are fans of EA games, so that wont work either)?

Because they are fans of that genre, and it has some seriously strong forerunners.

Just because you are fan of the genre you wont blindly buy every game of this genre, right? Im still talking about how D2 fans blindly bought Diablo 3, because "its Diablo, it cant be bad!" and the were disappointed. Such thing cant be said about Anthem.
I thought I never return to Diablo 3 after vanilla, but I returned, I never thought I will be returned to PoE after Beta (Yes I played in Beta) & here I am.

The reality is, you can enjoy both, & more, like Wolcen, Grim Dawn. There is sufficient space for more than ONE ARPG game to play.

I wanted to say one is better than the other definitively, but I can't, as both have good & glaring issues.

I returned This March to D3 after over 1.5 years of not playing, & the current league was able to keep me engaged for 3 months. The reason is meanly high-level group play. I found a great clan (D3 version of guild) & friends & within a few mins, I usually can get a 4 player group running & have a blast. At higher levels, even white trashes hit like trucks, big life pool & you need to adapt some sort of strategy, & each group members of the group bring something to the table. I like to play as support monk (the female monk is hot!) & my job is usually to group mobs & help buff my teammates both defensive & offensive. If I am bored, I can switch to another char & go DPS or same char, but different build(Diablo 3 has a quick build swap, allow you to change skills & gears for up to 10 builds on the fly).

I know its a MEME, but its more fun to play with friends. Yes I know you can play MP in PoE, but it's like a race then group play.

My monk in D3 alone has 9 different builds, for DPS, solo, speed solo, speed Great rift speed, Great rift push etc.

While D3 doesn't have the gearing & char development (like a passive tree) as PoE, there is a charm to be able to switch builds on the fly, & content that push you and your group to the limit & having good tactic matters.

It ensures you do not get bored using the same build over & over again. PoE solution to not getting bored with the playing same build is "Make a new build!", which is not a bad idea. Different approach

Also while # of builds in D3 is far less than PoE, they mostly feel different. Melee feels like Melee. In PoE; every builds seems to play the same, Spam main skill, speed to next pack, spam main skill.

I am mostly done with this league, WHen D3 started the next season, I will return & join my friends & clanmates. In between, I play Wolcen.

If a cyclone is great again, I will make a cyclone build next league. See you do not have to pick one or another like religion. Coexist, people, coexist!

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
big answer
"
Crackmonster wrote:

Well, it is a very good answer this. And i confess i feel much the same way, that's why i haven't seriously played PoE for a few years. I'm not gonna go in detail i actually agree with most of what you said so i'll mention where i defer.

Most of these games suffer from the hamster wheel syndrome - especially because there literally is nothing meaningful to do instead of farm in either game, pvp, world pvp etc, nope. Discouraged from easy-going party play to show off my shinies? Check. Everything boils down to singular dps/defense check? Yup, there is no different types much, no paper scissor it's just plain paper stats not living engaging world.

What i mean about d3 is seriously that you get stuck in the uber hamster wheel. At least in PoE the challenges change, new bosses can be attempted when you reach higher power, different ways of farming. In D3 you are using the exact same items as from the start almost, fighting the exact same thing just so you can do it some imaginary numbers higher in difficulty.

Yes, poe is bad also but that shit there... wow... that's the lowest ever. Can you even call that an attempt? So, when i play D3 i can last for only around 4 days in a league then it gets to be a waste of good life and lost fun.

In PoE i can at least enjoy a week, two weeks if it's a really good league, and maybe come back mid league for a third week if it is really good - and sometimes like this league i don't play if it's bad i save myself for when it's best since poe wears you out from the flatness of the game due to many of the things you described.

I mean.. if you get more replay out of diablo who am i to tell you that you are not right. The first thing i wanna suggest is that it's because you are way more overloaded on poe than d3 since poe, while also being hamsterwheel, at least tries to give you the illusion of choice, but maybe you just truly enjoy d3 more.

And i tell you this. This is a deep insight, most will probably read right over this not really seeing what i am saying, but i try anyway. The illusion of choice is what matters in life, truly.

Long explanation
To explain this i first write two seemingly contradictory truths.

- Only by believing you have influence and can change things in your life, will you be able to life your life to the fullest

- There is no actual choice

Both of these are true simultaneously.

On the lowest levels you have negative mindstated people, often hiding as logic natural sciences point of view, they believe there is no real choice in life and this belief leads them towards inaction to improve their own life. One must never believe to have no influence over own life. This is a unhealthy function of the mind.

Second level, we have those who believe that they are able to influence their life. This is the healthy function of the mind, knowing that things can get better if you try. That you can reach for your dreams, this is basically about still believing in your dreams so it's about being spiritually hole.

Yet, they are not truly contradictionary - both are true.

There is a third level. The one who recognizes that both are true. You do have the influence to make meaningful changes in life, however for you to even arrive at this idea is directly the result of circumstances of your life. The thoughts and ideas our generation wrestles with are different than the ones who came before it, because the society and world that shaped the minds was different. Bridging these two beliefs can be hard to do, because after all, if you are just a product, then how could you have influence?

It's more like this, we are one with the world and any action we take has influence around us, however what actual actions we decide to take are the result of that very world which surrounds us. So it's not for no random reason that you act as you do, it's emotional - about who you are, and who you are is created by the past. You can say, emotions that you have is the reaction to actions that happened to you, and your final actions in response to the feelings you have from those emotions are the reactions to your emotions.

So the final truth is that while you didn't have a damn choice, things happened that made you believe as you did - but you must let that natural chain flow instead of sitting back in inaction.

You can never ever use the idea that things are predetermined for anything in life. Ever. Because for all intents and purposes every fork in the road looks like a choice and you must decide which path to take, but ultimately looking backwards in time the choices that you did made were fully dependent on the past.

That's why both are true. And therefore, the illusion of choice in life is what matters because ultimately choice never was a part of the equation that is a mental construct - born out of consciousness and emotions. But we so desperately need to believe there is choice, or else we lose hope. To really live life, you must give in to this illusion and use your feelings as a guide for what "choices" you make. Even if you fail to act according to your feelings, that's because of your past.

And i think, poe is neglecting balance finetuning and quality to get more quantity out the with the unfortunate side effect that they have killed the illusion of choice(not fully). Humans are attracted to different styles of play, and as long as they are close enough it feels like a choice and the illusion persists. We have seen from.. well from the very start since closed beta that some issues have gone ignored. Some, i mean tons, tons. Some 4-5 years down the road they started addressing some of the old basic concerns but seems they stopped that again.

Much of it is owed to the skill tree replacing classes, and the socket system which actually makes it both much harder to balance characters and limits rather than give freedom. But i've written too much already i leave this behind.

Finally i cannot agree with "obliterate" PoE. I don't think it's exactly the same crowd, and most of them will play both regardless. The real problem is blizzard has not clue how to make a deep ARPG anymore, they just make braindead action games now. But that's not all, D3 was not prioritized at all, they didn't even try. They attempt to fix endgame turned into just numbers scaling the exact same shit. It released with items graphics like dungeon siege 1. If only they tried, really tried and had some great ideas to work out from. But they dropped the 3, whining came, they caved in removed the hardness of the game and made it a big faceroll fest where you can adjust difficulty so can do it as easy/hard as you like. Broadened out to reach all, rather than attempt to make focused great.

Maybe it's just me, but when i play it feels so worthless. ANd the paragon system made for multiplayer etc. Turns me right off, i don't even wanna try farming that, and spend 2-3 weeks to get same items i have so i can kill same monsters? No thanks. Usually what i spend most time on is crafting characters.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Apr 19, 2019, 9:53:48 AM
"
Crackmonster wrote:
"
Destructodave wrote:
You keep saying original D2 players. Am I not one? Did I miss the memo all those years ago? I am an original D2 player myself, and I liked D3. Hell, I'm basically an original PoE player, too. I been here since 2011. I mean in what world do you consider something original? When it aligns with your own personal views?

I even like McDonalds. The issue here, is your low key elitism. You feel you are above mere mortals who might enjoy D3 and might like a Big Mac from time to time. Eating at your fancy corner restaurant does not make you a better person. You dont magically have better taste buds. Also, the food all turns to shit anyways does it not?

I'm tired of hearing about these fabled original D2 players like they only hated D3. I was right there from the beginning myself. Just like I was right here at damn near the beginning of PoE, because I was a D2 fan.

Look buddy, you can hate D3 all you want. Thats fine. But that doesnt make your opinion a fact. Your opinions of D3 are just that; your opinions. And numbers, playerbase, and other metrics do not agree with your opinion. Hell, all D2 players dont agree. I was a D1 and a D2 player, and I dont agree with your opinion of D3 at all. So stop touting D2 player as some kind of badge of honor as if you are the world's authority on what constitutes a good Arpg.

Bla bla bla.

I say original because that is exactly what i meant, distinctive from those who does not have emotional ties. I did never say all, i said the correct literal word.

In so far as diablo immortal goes, if it wasnt mobile i'd gladly play that too and give it a good try. But i barely even own an operating phone, they aren't my thing.

The phone is just another similar offense and further evidence they have sacrificed Diablo games to some weird experimental ish with no intend to cater to the old fans. It's just another intellectual property now, used for whatever might be worthwhile business.

Keep on with your lack of understanding and false assumptions. I've never hated a thing in my life, D3 just disappointed me. Nothing more, i think about it 5-10 times a year when someone talks about it and i react to these little kid coming here telling us our feelings are nonsense, but you are so lost in your own angle you can't see anything clear.

Go enjoy your McD as the rest of the masses, i'm not stopping you. I just want you to be happy and do what you enjoy.

What a joke.
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
"
Aixius wrote:
"
Let's be honest. There simply hasn't been an arpg good enough to top PoE's constant release of content. It's clear the community is getting fed up with half arsed content being released just to be released. I haven't been bored with a league this soon since I started playing this game. If Diablo 4 were released tomorrow, the PoE playerbase would flock.

Do you know why so many people Kickstarted this game back in 2012? It's because there were barely any ARPGs being made that could compete with or follow up on Diablo 2. That hasn't really changed.

D3 was the result of a studio hooked on WoW money appointing a WoW guy to "fix" Diablo by making it something completely different from D2. He even told us we didn't like it, that it wasn't fun. Later on someone else fixed his game and made it pretty fun, and then another group wrecked it again.

D4...tomorrow? Lol, you must have missed the Diablo Immortal announcement a few months back. Give it a couple of years and they'll be hooked on mobile money instead, then we'll see what kind of product "Diablo 4" will be. Until then, Blizz does not deserve the benefit of the doubt. Still, there's nothing wrong with playing two ARPGs either.

RAG on Diablo III all you want, but if I want to get friends to play an ARPG with me and have fun, I buy them Diablo III. None of them can stand PoE after playing it for an hour or so. They just never log in again, but they text me asking if I want to play Diablo III with them.

For some reason, they have more fun playing that game. Maybe the pacing, combat and animation polish, graphics, or performance contributes to that. I dunno.

It can't be that they are overwhelmed with the skill tree and other mechanics, cause they never get far enough to really have to deal with it. They just log in, play a little, and never return...

But they always login into Diablo III and Overwatch, which I have gifted to most of my gamer friends (who have super strict budgets, etc.).

As far as Diablo 4 goes, I don't think Blizzard should really care too much about what people here think. They are doing fine with Diablo III, still, and a lot of people here are haters, anyways. They really shouldn't matter much to Blizzard, IMO.
"
arknath wrote:
People would try out Diablo 4 for sure then jump back to PoE since there is no way Blizzard is able to make any games with enough content these days to saturate the rapidly increasing demands ppl have when it comes to ARPGs. Sure the graphics might be flashy but the content from a newly released game will be waaay waaay behind years upon years of added content for PoE.

What is content, though? Reskinning the same stuff and adding in some more maps, then asking you to level again is kind of a low bar for content.

Then again, so many games are so bad at content development, that people will accept anything new and call it content. Release enough "new" stuff, and they'll think you're the market leader in content development!

The reason why developing tons of content doesn't work well is because it becomes extremely derivative, and kind of a joke when you try to keep up that page. Most of PoE's content falls into that category.

Yes, it's "new stuff," but how "new" does "new" have to be for you to qualify it as "new."

This is a problem inherent to the ARPG genre, IMO.

MMORPGs mask this behind their social systems, but ARPGs have never really developed that side of the game as well as the MMORPG genre.

A good example is ESO. They churn out tons of "content," but it feels a lot better to play that game than any ARPG due to the fact that more emphasis in an MMORPG is placed on the community and the social aspect. The "content" is only an enabler. ARPGs are a bit backwards, so I tend to notice the repetitive nature of the game a lot more, and this makes all of them feel like wasteful time sinks - and the replay value simply isn't as high, for me (which is why I hate leagues/seasons, and player segregation based on them).
"
Trensharo wrote:

RAG on Diablo III all you want, but if I want to get friends to play an ARPG with me and have fun, I buy them Diablo III. None of them can stand PoE after playing it for an hour or so. They just never log in again, but they text me asking if I want to play Diablo III with them.

That just shows that they are casual scrubs. Diablo III is great game for people like this, PoE is made for totally diffrent audience.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info