F the labyrinth

I've always suggested that they needed to combine the elements of killing monsters with traps and not just have rooms filled with clusters of traps.

The camera being set also doesn't lend itself to precise timing of movement. As well as always having to be online in a poorly optimized game, fps/latency spikes can lead to frustrating moments. This is probably why it's generally just easier to brute force your way though the gauntlets.

Movement skills also create a disconnect in the trap game play. From my experience, many of the movement skills provide a very easy way to get though many of the trap areas. Being able to leap past entire areas kind of defeats the purpose of having the traps to begin with. Shield charge and whirling blades also feel at times like you have invincibility frames. I don't really have video to show this but I tried moving through several traps with these at certain times and took no damage. With these skills being spamable and used by nearly every build, it sort of detracts from the trap game play.

They tried something different and I can appreciate that.. but when you enter the lab, your essentially playing a different game for that period of time. For that game to shine, it needs the same care and attention that the main game does but it doesn't. There are so many odd design choices with the lab that don't seem to mesh very well with the core elements in this game.

I just do them to ascend, but don't really look back afterwards. I really wish the game play of the lab was more enjoyable and the enchant system more user friendly. So I could farm up uber lab keys and run them to work towards my own character goals instead of just running it once and trading for enchant.
I have to join with the OP in saying "F the labyrinth".

All the moving traps and crap happening all over the screen, its too much for me. I get confused, lost, or whatever.... Then I die. Monsters aren't killing me. Izaru usually isn't killing me, its the freaking traps.

Not necessary to have this in an ARPG

Traps in an arpg are okay. The problem with the labyrinth is that the focus is transformed from fun kill monster get loot arpg game play into boring tedious not fun trap game play. So having some traps mixed in with monsters is okay. Labyrinth is monsters mixed in with traps, making it loathsome not fun content.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
e1337donkey wrote:
I've always suggested that they needed to combine the elements of killing monsters with traps and not just have rooms filled with clusters of traps.

The camera being set also doesn't lend itself to precise timing of movement. As well as always having to be online in a poorly optimized game, fps/latency spikes can lead to frustrating moments. This is probably why it's generally just easier to brute force your way though the gauntlets.

Movement skills also create a disconnect in the trap game play. From my experience, many of the movement skills provide a very easy way to get though many of the trap areas. Being able to leap past entire areas kind of defeats the purpose of having the traps to begin with. Shield charge and whirling blades also feel at times like you have invincibility frames. I don't really have video to show this but I tried moving through several traps with these at certain times and took no damage. With these skills being spamable and used by nearly every build, it sort of detracts from the trap game play.

They tried something different and I can appreciate that.. but when you enter the lab, your essentially playing a different game for that period of time. For that game to shine, it needs the same care and attention that the main game does but it doesn't. There are so many odd design choices with the lab that don't seem to mesh very well with the core elements in this game.

I just do them to ascend, but don't really look back afterwards. I really wish the game play of the lab was more enjoyable and the enchant system more user friendly. So I could farm up uber lab keys and run them to work towards my own character goals instead of just running it once and trading for enchant.

All true. The entire trap concept feels like GGG lost interest in developing the idea halfway through. Ostensibly they look like they're meant to slow you down, but then you can teleport past them with movement skills or just straight up run through some of them. They made them deal damage based on your HP/ES as if they were meant to deal equal damage to everyone, but then resists still apply afterwards.

It all feels unfinished, like a set of prototypes with no unifying concept. And these quirks make them really unbalanced for no discernable reason. Armour build with high regen? Stand in traps all day. Evasion build with Vaal Pact? Haha, fuck you. It just doesn't make any sense.
"
goetzjam wrote:
"
Zalhan2 wrote:

Lets just make this content optional once and for all.
Let's be honest, if they move the points to 10 levels later no one is going to wait anyway and its a nice gesture by them to do that.

No

I'm sorry but crying like little kids should not be rewarded or encouraged at all.

The lab is the content to which is necessary to get the reward of AC points, none of this hand me shit for free crap.

Crying LOL

In that Mommy I ate your shitty meal and vegetables and want to say even though I did it all I think your the shittyest cook on the planet!

If I didn't succeed solo 4 times and just thought it sucked you might have a point, my characters are open, go check.

I am not saying it's too hard. Actually I said its fine difficulty wise. I just said it sucks.

At this point I am sure your just a boilerplate troll who doesn't even bother to read the messages.
Last edited by Zalhan2 on Jan 16, 2018, 6:11:51 PM
"
Zalhan2 wrote:
"
goetzjam wrote:
"
Zalhan2 wrote:

Lets just make this content optional once and for all.
Let's be honest, if they move the points to 10 levels later no one is going to wait anyway and its a nice gesture by them to do that.

No

I'm sorry but crying like little kids should not be rewarded or encouraged at all.

The lab is the content to which is necessary to get the reward of AC points, none of this hand me shit for free crap.

Crying LOL

In that Mommy I ate your shitty meal and vegetables and want to say even though I did it all I think your the shittyest cook on the planet!

If I didn't succeed solo 4 times and just thought it sucked you might have a point, my characters are open, go check.

I am not saying it's too hard. Actually I said its fine difficulty wise. I just said it sucks.

At this point I am sure your just a boilerplate troll who doesn't even bother to read the messages.

If I was your mum I'd tell you to make your own food from now on then.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
"
Xavathos wrote:

Well anyone, I could make more fun content than the LAB so your right!.
"
Zalhan2 wrote:
"
Xavathos wrote:

Well anyone, I could make more fun content than the LAB so your right!.

We're waiting dude. Where's the new Lab? :)
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
Actually I am today very glad about the lab. Died twice to trap, once in Azoru final trial with 1/10 life left. I have no more goddess left.

My build required I start from base point of a class, but I can't without finishing lab (great scion design).

Now I can moved on from this game. Its downright not enjoyable. I don't want to have to go through this PoS 4 times everytime I level a char. I never hatred a level of a game as much as the lab. Even the sily planet scan is more endurable in Mass effect 2.

Time to give other games some love. I don't think I will be back until they change the lab.

I dropped all my gears to the guild stab & free for anyone to take.
Last edited by kiadaw on Jan 17, 2018, 5:57:23 PM
"
Xavathos wrote:
We're waiting dude. Where's the new Lab? :)

Sure, he will incorporate it in GGG's heads, by the power of telepathy.

BTW I love how Lab defenders claim that is "optional". Well, as much optional as using armor or weapon. You do not have to use this gear at all...
"War's over, soldier. You just don't know it yet. Everybody lost."
Last edited by Nishrek on Jan 19, 2018, 2:35:00 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info