F the labyrinth

"
Here is another shower thought to improve this shithole:

Main path has no traps. To open the door you have to kill all mobs in the area. All the goodies besides the main path are behind traps.
This is actually a pretty good idea. It wouldn't take as much time from the devs as many other alternatives and it would address the silliness of having trap gauntlets as a key focus for ascension / becoming an emperor.

To keep the process challenging, but in an ARPG way, and not in a Froggy or Italian Plumber way, involve the gods and a lot of exiles in place of traps. Gods may have a stake in who the emperor is because it could affect their follower count and exiles also want power.

This still leaves the odd need to repeat essentially the same process four times in place and disconnects would still be frustrating. But, it would still be a marked improvement over the status quo.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
"
"

Main path has no traps. To open the door you have to kill all mobs in the area. All the goodies besides the main path are behind traps.
This is actually a pretty good idea. It wouldn't take as much time from the devs as many other alternatives and it would address the silliness of having trap gauntlets as a key focus for ascension / becoming an emperor.

To keep the process challenging, but in an ARPG way, and not in a Froggy or Italian Plumber way, involve the gods and a lot of exiles in place of traps. Gods may have a stake in who the emperor is because it could affect their follower count and exiles also want power.

This still leaves the odd need to repeat essentially the same process four times in place and disconnects would still be frustrating. But, it would still be a marked improvement over the status quo.

I second that. Or add more deadly traps only after you beat uber first time. So all the farmers can enjoy speeding through them.
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
"
goetzjam wrote:
Ultimately, aside from AC class changes themselves, I think they are done with changing the lab. Seems like your o mighty quest is over, without you getting what you want.

This (extremely typical) attitude is why these threads are good popcorn fodder but little else:

People are more interested in asserting that the other person is wrong (or bad, or lazy, or a liar) than in actually discussing and improving the game. Kind of reminds me of U.S. politics.

In fact GGG has made many, many content-related (i.e., not just number adjustments) tweaks to the lab since its release which were in direct response to both specific and non-specific complaints, largely oriented toward trying to change it from an ends-oriented chore into a fun process. Now, you may not think that they've succeeded completely, but in any case the attempt to do so represents a win for both sides of the argument, because the intrinsic experience of running the Lab has been improved for everyone.

If it can be improved even further, all the better. Also a win for all players.

Honestly power creep has turned the uber lab into something with a difficulty of merciless ie a little nerve wracking but not the ugh it used to be. In that sense it has been nerfed. Also the loot feels meh now compared to 2 seasons ago.

People will take you for free if they get your loot.

So why do we give a fuck still? I have done it 4 times this season and died twice trying. Not bragging that makes me a pretty average player.

We care because even though it has been nerfed due to power creep its still boring and feels out of place. The new end game content might have its flaws that need tweaking but its a good direction and fun to collect all the maps.

Lets just make this content optional once and for all.
Let's be honest, if they move the points to 10 levels later no one is going to wait anyway and its a nice gesture by them to do that.
i stopped to play PoE.
because of:shitty lab

4 years of wasting my Time

no fun for a casual player who simply want to play for fun

anyway EVERYTHING could be said in Words

EXCEPT the living Truth.

"
Zalhan2 wrote:

Let's be honest, if they move the points to 10 levels later no one is going to wait anyway and its a nice gesture by them to do that.

No

I'm sorry but crying like little kids should not be rewarded or encouraged at all.

The lab is the content to which is necessary to get the reward of AC points, none of this hand me shit for free crap.

https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
"

RIP0815: After a bit more thinking, I'd suggest taking your idea a step further. Ascension could be a trial-by-combat thing, without trap gauntlets or the long maze, and those who want enchants could put up with the trap gauntlets and all the other stuff currently in lab. The areas could be directly connected and players would choose their path according to their objective for that run.

Then people get to define their characters in an ARPG way and all the hard work of the devs on lab still has a purpose.

Right now lab is a badly executed mash-up of the Trial by Combat method of picking a king / emperor (which has historical precedent) and ascending the Mad Wizard's Tower (untold power is available to those brave the mad wizard's puzzles, traps, underlings, and contraptions to ascend his or her tower).

Splitting these two usually separate kinds of experiences apart would help toward making the gaming experience more enjoyable (and also help toward making the lore less silly).
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Jan 16, 2018, 10:08:02 AM
"

RIP0815: After a bit more thinking, I'd suggest taking your idea a step further. Ascension could be a trial-by-combat thing, without the fucking trap gauntlets or the long maze, and those who want enchants could put up with the trap gauntlets and all the other doohickey stuff currently in lab. The areas could be directly connected and players would choose their path according to their objective for that run.

Then people get to define their characters in an ARPG way and all the hard work of the devs on lab still has a purpose.

Right now lab is a badly executed mash-up of the Trial by Combat method of picking a king / emperor (which has historical precedent) and ascending the Mad Wizard's Tower (untold power is available to those brave the mad wizard's puzzles, traps, and contraptions to ascend his or her tower).

Splitting these two usually separate kinds of experiences apart would help toward making the gaming experience more enjoyable (and also help toward making the lore less silly).

I would love it if they made ascendancy something you earned by fighting a 3 stage izaro fight without any of the ridiculous labyrinth traps. Keep the uber lab since its a reasonable end game alternative for people who don't want to do maps or farm bosses.
21/05/18 - The beginning of the end of PoE
`
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
Last edited by goetzjam on Jan 16, 2018, 10:22:15 AM
"
"

While it would certainly be easy to just sweep the unfun content under the rug, it's not exactly solving the problem, is it? I appreciate the fact that GGG are trying to change things up a bit with traps, and I believe that it is possible to make trap gameplay actually fun, if more thought was put into it. Surely that would be a better solution?
"
goetzjam wrote:
"
Zalhan2 wrote:

No

I'm sorry but crying like little kids should not be rewarded or encouraged at all.

The lab is the content to which is necessary to get the reward of AC points, none of this hand me shit for free crap.

This is a perfect example of a goat post. Instead of simply addressing the issue, you have to get insulting. No one is crying here? Yet, you try to insult everyone by saying that we're all crying like little kids.

Listen goat, we know that lab is currently the content required to get AC points. No one is asking for the points for free either. Please try harder to participate in the actual ongoing conversation and also I suggest that you follow your own advice that "if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all".
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info