Looting Issues

My argument is not "purely speculation/assumption/claims". You've been in baal run game before. You've witnessed this phenomenon before haven't you? Seriously, join a baal run right now, and you'll see for yourself.

Having loot drop free-for-all favors the one closest to the monsters and focusing most on drops and not the action.
Last edited by chuk15 on Aug 13, 2011, 12:03:19 AM
I don't think most of us can base a good argument without giving it a try but the short-timed drops seem like a good middle ground. From what I can tell the timed loot forces a decision on you whether the drop is worth risking death for. For instance if a unique drops then hell yeah beat it through the horde of baddies to snatch it up in a couple secs and maybe die in the process...but you got a sweet item, or if its not worth it, clear the monsters even if the timer wears off. Anyway just my thought but again that is without actually playing yet.
Just a question here, but how can grabbing at lootz make a game more hardcore? Didn't you work for the boss kill, thus deserving your fair loot?

D3's loot system isn't 'soft core'. Its fair, and to think otherwise is just plain stupid.

Take WoW's loot system for example. Everyone rolls on the loot. Fair, even if the dumbass mage rolled on plate.
Last edited by Daemonphoe on Aug 13, 2011, 12:06:40 AM
"
chuk15 wrote:
My argument is not "purely speculation/assumption/claims". You've been in baal run game before. You've witnessed this phenomenon before haven't you? Seriously, join a baal run right now, and you'll see for yourself.

Having loot drop free-for-all favors the one closest to the monsters and focusing most on drops and not the action.

You still fail to understand that I don't give a fuck which system is being used. I listed the characteristics of both systems. D2 is a 'hard' loot system, while D3 is a 'easy' loot system. You, honestly, cannot deny this. D3 is meant to be casualized as fuck for all of the WoW kiddies who will play the game, so Kotick wants everyone to have lewtz. D2's loot system made you pay attention, while in D3 you just don't have to try. You could leech and still get tons of drops.

D2's loot system is hard.
D3's loot system is easy.

These are my opinions, but they might as well be facts after you apply rationalism to these two opinions.

PoE is supposed to be a hard game. Adopting a casual feature from D3 is not the way to go about it. Instead, why don't we advocate a 'timer' before any loot drops, that way EVERYONE will be at the boss in time and be ready to spam-click their way to victory? It's even harder to get the loot you want, but at least everyone will have a fair shot.
Last edited by nakieon on Aug 13, 2011, 12:06:54 AM
"
Daemonphoe wrote:
Just a question here, but how can grabbing at lootz make a game more hardcore? Didn't you work for the boss kill, thus deserving your fair loot?

D3's loot system isn't 'soft core'. Its fair, and to think otherwise is just plain stupid.

Take WoW's loot system for example. Everyone rolls on the loot. Fair, even if the dumbass mage rolled on plate.

D3's loot system is a free item bank. You can walk around and watch your friends kill enemies while you just loot your way through without contributing anything at all to the killing. I know this is possible in both D2 and WoW, but D3 guarantees loot for anyone who is in a party. It's ridiculous.

You want a truly fair system? WoW is probably the closest to a fair system than D2 or D3's loot systems.
Last edited by nakieon on Aug 13, 2011, 12:09:13 AM
"
nakieon wrote:
"
Daemonphoe wrote:

D3's loot system is a free item bank. You can walk around and watch your friends kill enemies while you just loot your way through without contributing anything at all to the killing. I know this is possible in both D2 and WoW, but D3 guarantees loot for anyone who is in a party. It's ridiculous.

You want a truly fair system? WoW is probably the closest to a fair system than D2 or D3's loot systems.
I'm sorry but it goes both ways here. In d2 the one pretending to fight but focusing on nabbing drops will get them. The one focusing on killing every monster in sight will sadly not be rewarded anywhere near as much with items. D2 system is unfair to the one focusing on killing, and rewards being a big bumfuck ninja pussy. D3, everyone can focus on killing as fast as possible because it can only benefit them all. No worries about getting ninja'd. Shit on them groups of monsters then collect the mad lootz.
Last edited by chuk15 on Aug 13, 2011, 12:17:33 AM
I'm just sayin' brah, D3's loot system will make it take no effort for someone to get loot. That's all. I'm being a bit nostalgic about the D2's loot system because it was just a vicious dog-eat-dog world and I'd like to see it in PoE.

I guarantee you'll miss D2's loot system after you experience D3's loot system.
"
nakieon wrote:
I'm just sayin' brah, D3's loot system will make it take no effort for someone to get loot. That's all. I'm being a bit nostalgic about the D2's loot system because it was just a vicious dog-eat-dog world and I'd like to see it in PoE.

I guarantee you'll miss D2's loot system after you experience D3's loot system.
No I definitely understand the sense of nostalgia. When I look back and imagine d2, I really do have a sense that free-for-all loot was awesome and adrenaline pumping. However there is definitely an element of just having grown up playing with that part of d2, so it really has a familiar and special place with me. But I really do question if it was better than alternatives. After that nostalgic feeling goes away I remember getting fucked over so many times, it really made me sick to my stomach. I can't remember all the times that sweet unique dropped only to be nabbed by some fucker ninja piece of shit. Probably one of the reasons why I only did solo mf runs after awhile and slowly burned out on d2. Imagine going through the game and the end game being 8 player games of raping bosses in each act and everyone getting their own loot no more shit fests filled with drama.
Last edited by chuk15 on Aug 13, 2011, 12:33:20 AM
I like the idea of a different loot system. I recently partied in the game and the person just kept on looting everything with no consideration. It works when you find polite people to group up with, but some people just don't care about it and would pick up anything shiny even if they don't or will not need it.

At least an option to have a different kind of loot management would be okay. More options are always good.
Call me old fashioned, but I like the way looting was handled in D2.

Also, Baal runs were about the exp, the chance of getting some loot was just a bonus.

If you really wanted loot you ran meph before wave 4 of the minions ^_^
IGN: Cadmus / Valgar
Last edited by Kaylos on Aug 13, 2011, 12:35:32 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info