Looting Issues

I also have to agree with OP. The loot system of "Who is fastest grabbing" vs. "Who does the best for the group" is really annoying.
In D2 you had to stand toe to toe at the Boss to have a (low, because of pickup-scripts) chance to get some of the loot.
This is just bad for a game designed for some coop play.

"
00nrubyt wrote:
Maybe have longer loot timers in the normal/standard modes. The 'hardcore' players can fight over the loot immediately in hardcore+ modes.

I don't think hardcore mode should have anything to do with the loot system.
Hardcore is hardcore because if u die u can't continue playing on that league with that char.

The idea of loot timers is ok i guess, if the timers are balanced around the idea to loot after the fight is over and not to have to loot during fight because someone else might steal my stuff.

Maybe let the loot timer begin when the group (or maybe the one the loot timer runs for) is out of combat. That way you could make the timers short and ensure that everyone has a fair chance to get their loot.
I Like the loot timer idea. I also get very frustrated on D2 when you do all the work and some one comes in and snatches everything in one snap. It doesn't pay to be patient in D2, destroying any thought of collaborative effort.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. ~Bertrand Russell
lol I posted my dislike of the loot timer a while back and people honestly fought me left and right on the issue. It's interesting that most people have flipped opinions.

Just wait until someone codes an auto item pickup bot and you experience massive lag when killing an end boss (commonly experienced in D2). Loot timers won't be long enough.

The developer argument is that the "on your toes" excitement aspect isn't there without the loot timer.

However it seems like they haven't thought about what happens when a range char and a melee char are slowly taking down a large mob. It is literally in a ranged character's best interest to stop shooting and join the tank in the thick of things to pick stuff up.

But stealing is more hardcore, so whatevs!
I can stand behind this. Rangers in a greedy party will probably never get any decent loot. Standing up close to a boss that can two shot you in a cleave is a great way to get yourself knocked to softcore league.
#Chris: dont quote me on that
The loot timers are honestly enough for me. I did find it annoying that whoever clicked first usually won, because I only had dial up back in D2 days and would always lose. Always.

Just meant that I had to magic find a lot, and in the end it had me playing the game longer...

I'm really just sort of neutral about loot rules.
Woot i also like D3 loot system...was saying and suggesting the same thing earlier on stream chat. Man what newbs in game tsk tsk...
loot in d2 made everyone stop attacking bosses right before they died so you could be the first to click the drops, not what this game should be about.
Add me to the list of people who prefer the D3 loot system. No timers as in D2 was plain horrible and led directly to cheating while, on the other hand, I can see the loot timer leading to someone pestering you non-stop to give them every rare they see drop for you.

As has already been said, the loot system needs to encourage playing with new people otherwise it dampens the enjoyment of the game and hinders the game's growth.
"
Slicer wrote:
Why are you grouping with people you don't trust?

So you've NEVER done a baal bot run??? I can't count how many I've done, most likely 20+k :P
Cast my vote for the D3 loot system. I have been in many D2 games where I was killing baal (paladin Melee) with the group and was not able to get 1 good drop!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info