[3.2] 2H Warchief - SSF/HC/Starter [Berserker] - All Content (?) (Videos)

PLEASE DO NOT MESSAGE ME IN-GAME OR THROUGH THE FORUMS. POST YOUR QUESTIONS DIRECTLY IN THIS THREAD.

Introduction

This build is a 2H Ancestral Warchief build using Berserker. Vaal Pact's nerf in 3.1 has absolutely no effect on this build. It is expected to perform as reliably as ever. I've played, and seen people play, this build through beta, Harbinger, Turmoil, Mayhem, HC and it had done everything imaginable no matter the context.

Take that as my personal guarantee, if you wish.

This guide contains 3 versions of the build, utilizing all variants of 2H weaponry. They all start very similar, then diverge into either the conventional Hatred hybrid version (using Atziri's Disfavour), the full Brutality physical version (using Starforge), or Elemental conversion (using Brain Rattler) - credits to siliconlife for the idea.

Version comparisons

The pure physical version does the most consistent damage (with Starforge).

The hybrid version is better for SSF or as a league starter, but does less damage than the physical version, albeit only slightly.

The elemental version does very good damage for how cheap it is to make, but caps out earlier. It's hard to get during early league due to Brain Rattler drop table, and is not practical in HC.

Why this over the normal Facebreaker version?

This build is tankier, cheaper, can be done in SSF, and does more damage all the way up until Facebreaker can buy a Tukohama's Fortress. Your totem is also smashing faces with a giant axe/sword/mace, and nothing can take that from you.

3.0 Videos (Guardians & Shaper)

Spoiler

DISCLAIMER: There are some very poor plays in the Shaper video, but the strength of this build carried me to success anyways.

Minotaur

Chimera

Hydra

Phoenix

Shaper

Older videos showing mapping can be found on my channel.

Changelog

Spoiler
Update 1:
* Now prefers offensive auras, but still has options for defensive ones.
* Updated gem links.
* Added PoB link in the Gear section.
* Skill tree now generic to any 2H weapon type.

Update 2:
* Optimised the skill tree some more (thanks to gjauwerda)
* Skill tree now favours axes
* Added current gear and some progress

Update 3:
* Added new PoB link
* Removed Abyssus from recommend gear. It's not good enough anymore.

Update 4:
* Added full Brutality variant

Update 5:
* Added full elemental conversion variant (credits to the idea by siliconlife)

Update 6:
* Added Pantheon selection

Update 7:
* Added Conductivity

Update 8:
* Updated Current Gear
* New gameplay video
* Added Belt of the Deceiver

Update 9:
* Some reformatting for 3.1

Update 10:
* Updated to 3.2

PoB Link

Atziri's Disfavour End-Game non-Brutality hybrid

Starforge End-Game Brutality physical

Brain Rattler End-Game Elemental conversion (gear by siliconlife).

Pros
* Tanky
* Good single target
* SSF viable (hybrid version)
* Easy to upgrade
* HC viable

Cons
* Clearspeed is only fine
* Totems definitely not for everyone
* No leech

Skill Tree & Ascendancy

Axe Tree

Sword Tree

Brain Rattler Mace Tree

If you're HC you can priortise finishing the Scion Wheel and taking the Tireless wheel near Resolute Technique, which tops at 235% Inc. max life.

War Bringer -> Aspect of Carnage -> Pain Reaver -> Cloaked in Savagery

The last 2 nodes aren't important, you can skip it if you want.

Bandits & Pantheon

Bandits: 2 Passives

Major God: Soul of the Brine King. If you're using Kaom's Roots, switch to Soul of Lunaris or Soul of Solaris for end-game boss fights.

Minor God: Soul of Gruk'thul.

Current Gear
Spoiler

This is my Shaper gear. Killed him at lvl 86. No gems have quality. My flasks aren't even all max quality yet. No Culling Strike or offensive curse either.

Gear Choices
Spoiler

Generally you want a high PDPS 2H, Axes are preferred, but Mace or Swords work fine too if that's all you have, just take their responding nodes instead of axe ones. Get + Phys attack on whatever pieces you can, or %WED if you're ele conversion. Otherwise Life + Armour + Resists.

Flask can be whatever you want, but I highly recommend a Quicksilver. The first thing you should be looking to upgrade to is a Lion's Roar. It's a massive DPS boost.

For Jewels, get Life% and DPS mods. This includes area damage, melee damage, attack speed, and physical damage (either unconditional or with 2H weapon).

Unique upgrade options:

* Helm: Deidbellow for offence, otherwise just stick with a high armour high life rare helmet for defence.
* Body: Belly of the Beast or Kaom's Heart, or any life armour you happen to pick up.
* Boots: Atziri's Step, Kaom's Roots.
* Flask: Lion's Roar, Rumi's Concoction
* Belt: Meginord's Girdle, Belt of the Deceiver.

If using the hybrid version:
* Weapons: Kaom's Primacy into Atziri's Disfavour.
* Flask: Atziri's Promise, Taste of Hate

If using the phys version:
* Weapons: Kondo's Pride into Starforge

If using the elemental version:
* Weapons: Brain Rattler (no choice, the build doesn't work without it)
* Flasks: Atziri's Promise, Wise Oak, Vessel of Vinktar (atk or conversion)

Gem Links

Spoiler

Ancestral Warchief -> Faster Attack (for QoL) -> Melee Physical Damage -> Concentrated Effect or Increased AoE -> Ruthless -> Maim

6L for Hybrid.

Ancestral Warchief -> Brutality -> Melee Physical Damage -> Concentrated Effect or Increased AoE -> Ruthless -> Maim

6L for Physical.

Ancestral Warchief -> Physical to Lightning -> Melee Physical Damage -> Concentrated Effect or Increased AoE -> Elemental Damage with Attacks -> Ruthless

6L for Elemental Conversion.

Blasphemy - Enfeeble

Arctic Armour

Hatred (non-phys version)

Herald of Ash (non-phys version)

Blasphemy - Vulnerability (phys version)

Haste (phys version)

Blasphemy - Conductivity (ele version)

CHOOSE ONLY 2, appropriate to whichever version you're upgrading to.

Additionally, you can also choose to self-cast the offensive curses should you prefer to run other auras.

Summon Lightning Golem

Leap Slam - Fortify - Blood Magic - Faster Attack

Movement Skill & Fortify Activator, nothing crazy

CWDT - Immortal Call - Inc. Duration

Our CWDT setup, which will be even better since we run Enduring Cry for charge generation. We run max levels on everything.

Rallying Cry - Enduring Cry - Inc. Duration - Vaal Haste

Rallying Cry is an offensive buff while Enduring Cry is a defensive one. Use depending on situation, but the War Cry passive makes them a lot smoother to use.

Levelling

Spoiler

Cleave at the beginning
Sunder at 12
Pick up Warchief at 28
Switch to dual Warchief at Ancestral Bond

If you want to use Maces or Swords, just don't get the Axe nodes and slot into those instead.

31 Points Tree

64 Points Tree

92 Points Tree

My other builds (all content viable)

Last edited by CynthiaCrescent on Mar 2, 2018, 9:07:22 PM
Last bumped on Sep 14, 2018, 11:42:33 AM
Not a bad build, but change the font color, remove this acid-blue color!
safe and hc viable with 176% life on the tree using berserker? thats doubtful
"
safe and hc viable with 176% life on the tree using berserker? thats doubtful

Went back and check, turns out I missed the Devotion cluster. Fixed.

If you're playing this HC, you should also be completing the Scion wheel, giving you +102 and 211% max life which should be plenty since you're not supposed to be face-tanking anything. If you're still concerned it's possible to get the Tireless wheel for another 20% max life in exchange for a bit of DPS.

"
mrsReAnima wrote:
Not a bad build, but change the font color, remove this acid-blue color!

Done.
Last edited by CynthiaCrescent on Jul 10, 2017, 7:14:23 AM
been following this build today, going very well, Lvl 51 - 0 death's, mobs are just melting. Such a simple build concept which can and has surpassed my expectations, looking forward to doing cruel lab and onwards.

Went into normal lab not realising the level requirements and completed at lvl 22, touch and go will be nice to see the totems at work in cruel.

Thanks for the guide, simple but very effective.
You can save a skill point by not going up near Born To Fight but going right near Resolute Technique

PoB:
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/FJQH5s4m
Nostrademous
Last edited by Nostrademous on Jul 11, 2017, 12:10:53 AM
Preety much copy pasta from this build with few tweeks

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1716684

Exactly the same pathing but instead you took the Scion life wheel.
Adding 3.0 and changing few nodes doesn't make it original so I'm disappointed.
Last edited by iLikePiez on Jul 11, 2017, 11:26:42 AM
"
been following this build today, going very well, Lvl 51 - 0 death's, mobs are just melting. Such a simple build concept which can and has surpassed my expectations, looking forward to doing cruel lab and onwards.

Went into normal lab not realising the level requirements and completed at lvl 22, touch and go will be nice to see the totems at work in cruel.

Thanks for the guide, simple but very effective.

You can do labs pretty much as they become available. Once you get Cruel lab down the game's basically free. At the moment I'm doing t8 maps on a 4L. Get a high PDPS 2H Axe as soon as you can. It helps with map bosses.

"
Nostrademous wrote:
You can save a skill point by not going up near Born To Fight but going right near Resolute Technique

PoB:
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/FJQH5s4m

You're right. Fixed.

"
iLikePiez wrote:

I don't claim to be original. This build is indeed heavily inspired by the one you linked. However with DoT taking a nosedive and new support gems coming out, I do claim that this guide has plenty of uses considering how some of the core concepts of the old one no longer works.
Last edited by CynthiaCrescent on Jul 11, 2017, 6:53:25 PM
"
iLikePiez wrote:

We can agree that it's very very close, could almost label it as a non-poison variant.

But the gem setup is at least relevant to the 3.0 tag.
Last edited by Morehei on Jul 11, 2017, 7:03:00 PM
"
Morehei wrote:
"
iLikePiez wrote:

We can agree that it's very very close, could almost label it as a non-poison variant.

But the gem setup is at least relevant to the 3.0 tag.

Can't deny that, but adding brutality and ruthless into it from my perspective doesn't make the difference. Yes the other guys build revolves around double dipping with poison and bleed but those 2 mechanics doesn't make up for it, if you've made something more Per'se "edgy" or in some line innovative i might would've changed my mind in the first place. Maybe I'm too critical about it but I was actually happy to see new theorycraft from ancestral warchief totems only to be blown away about the uniformity of those 2 builds.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info