[3.2] Frozen Lava - Frost Blades & Molten Strike Raider - Guardians & Shaper Dead (Videos)

PLEASE DO NOT MESSAGE ME IN-GAME OR THROUGH THE FORUMS. POST YOUR QUESTIONS DIRECTLY IN THIS THREAD.

Introduction

3.2 came with minor changes to Raider. Not much of it affects the build.

Changelog
Spoiler
Update 1:
* Fixed some gem visualization
* Changed single-target curse from Elemental Weakness/Flammability to Assassin's Mark.
* Changed Molten Strike's 6th link to Ice Bite.
* Minor text updates

Update 2:
* Fixed some gem link imaging
* Molten Strike's 6th link is now Physical Projectile Support (for the Magma Balls)
* Added leveling skill trees in the leveling section

Update 3:
* Added Flicker Strike Support

Update 5:
* Added current 3.0 gear
* Updated gem links

Update 6:
* Significantly altered build

Update 7:
* Added Shaper video & Oro's Sacrifice version.

Update 8:
* Completely revamped the guide

Update 9:
* Completely revamped the guide again

Update 10:
* Added some alternatives

Update 11:
* Added levelling trees
* Touched up on some old information

Update 12:
* Updated for 3.2

Videos [3.1]

Shaper Video (Warning: 1 very dumb death at the end)

Minotaur

Phoenix

Hydra

Why is there no Chimera video
While I did kill Chimera with this build, it was a horrible fight due to my being extremely unlucky and getting bursted despite having max dodge and Stibnite. It would have been just a painful video to watch so I spared you the trouble.

Pros

* Good clear speed
* Good single target
* Fast, nice QoL
* High defences
* High damage for cost

Cons

* Relying on dodge, which is RNG
* Not HC viable
* Not the best league starter

Skill Tree

End Game Tree

Bandits

Alira or passives.

Ascendancy

Way of the Poacher -> Avatar of the Slaughter -> Quartz Infusion -> Avatar of the Veil

The Avatar of the Chase changes in 3.2 made it an interesting consideration, but after some number crunching I don't believe the minor increase in speed and damage warrants the loss of complete elemental immunity and extra dodge. You can also get Onslaught elsewhere if you'd like.

Pantheon

Fully upgraded Soul of Lunaris

Soul Yugul/Soul of Garukhan

Current Gear

This is the exact gear I had when I killed Shaper:

Spoiler

As you can see all of these are dirt cheap stuff for this late in the league (I haven't had much time to play due to social responsibilities). I have no Belly, no boots enchant, no Gripped Gloves, no +3 Molten Strike Starkonja, no good rare claws, no opal rings no Cull for bosses. All of those would make the game 10x easier, but you don't need them.

Gear Choices

Spoiler

Weapons: High PDPS Crit Claw. Touch of Anguish or Wasp's Nest are good budget options. You can also use The Scourge which is a little iffy on the survivability side but does the most damage out of all the unique claws.
Helmet: Starkonja or Lightpoacher with Molten Strike projectiles.
Body Armour: Belly of the Beast for defence or a 5L Shroud of the Lightless for offence. If you can't afford it use a rare life armour with life and res.
Amulet: Rare amulet with life, WED%, and crit multi. Get added cold and accuracy if you can afford it.
Gloves: Rare Gripped Gloves with life, attack speed, accuracy.
Boots: Atziri's Step with +1 Frenzy if possible. Or any pair of rare boots with +1 Frenzy.
Belt: Stygian Vise with life, res, WED%.
Rings: Opal Rings with WED%, flat Ele damage, life, and accuracy.
Flasks: Life Flask, Atziri's Promise, The Wise Oak, Quartz Flask, Diamond Flask.

Magic flasks are for anti-bleed, anti-curse, and anti-freeze. Optimally you can try to balance your resistance for the Wise Oak to hit cold & fire pem, but prioritise fire pen if you can't.

On your Jewels, get 2 Wildfire jewels and put them in the left and bottom side of the tree. For the other jewel slots try to always get Maximum Life %, other good mods are:

* Increased Global Crit Multi
* Increased Global Crit Multi with Elemental Skills
* Increased Attack Speed with Claws
* Increased Projectile Damage
* Increased Attack Speed

For Abyss Jewels, get any of flat life, flat emental damage, attack speed, or dodge chance.

Gem Links

Spoiler
Molten Strike - Concentrated Effect - Elemental Damage with Attacks - Multistrike - Ice Bite - Elemental Focus

Your single target. Get as many multipliers here as possible.

Frost Blades - Elemental Damage with Attacks - Ice Bite - Ancestral Call

You only need a 4L for Frost Blades clearing. I was doing Shaper's Realm with a 4L. If you need more damage, try to socket your Frost Blades in a 5/6L Elder item.

Whirling Blades - Faster Attacks - Fortify - Blood Magic

Our movement skill, very standard. You can also use Whirling Blades if you prefer.

Hatred - Summon Ice Golem

General auras.

Herald of Ice - Curse on Hit - Assassin's Mark - Onslaught

Our mapping power charge + onslaught generator. You can use Charged Dash instead of Onslaught here if you want a movement skill that crosses gaps.

Frost Bomb (lvl 1) - Ancestral Protector - Increased Duration

For single target.

Cast When Damage Taken (lvl1) - Immortal Call (lvl 3) - Increased Duration - Vaal Haste

Defensive CWDT setup. Use this only if you're struggling with surviving. You'll have to give up a 4L for this, so I don't use it personally.

Leveling

Spoiler

41 Points

60 Points

82 Points

Level with Frost Blades and level Molten Strike when you can. If you have a Tabula you can link these gems with the same supports. Be mindful of your defences and abuse Frost Blades range. Be mindful of your strength stat because Molten Strike requires a lot of that.

Normal levelling uniques like Goldrim, Lochtonial Caress, Tabula Rasa, and Wanderlust are good as always, get a Seven-League Step if you can afford one.

At 26 get a Ewar's Mirage for yourself. Frost Blades becomes insanely strong with it. During the process, a 4L Molten Strike should be enough for most bosses. Periodically upgrade your gear with high PDPS Claw once you get to those nodes.

Lycosidae version

Spoiler

Skill Tree

This build was actually a Sword + Lycosidae build before Abyss League started, until GGG decided to throw the shield into chase item territory. You can still play that build with the modified skill tree above. It's more defensive but does less damage than the dual claws version.

My Other Builds (all content viable)

Last edited by CynthiaCrescent on Mar 10, 2018, 6:28:49 AM
Last bumped on Aug 23, 2018, 7:00:12 PM
Added Levelling section
Absolutely going to give this a shot -- been looking for a way to enjoy frost builds when 3.0 hits and i'll give it a test run and report back. Much appreciated that you don't use anything ridiculously expensive, and that it's not CI/LL.

xoxo
Do you just switch your gems before boss fights? do you put one of your attack skills into your chest piece?
Last edited by Jigga_Justin on Jun 25, 2017, 2:58:49 AM
"
Jigga_Justin wrote:
Do you just switch your gems before boss fights? do you put one of your attack skills into your chest piece?

From what I can see it, uses the chest for one skill and the sword for the other.

Last edited by adroanzi on Jun 25, 2017, 1:18:54 PM
I got a question regarding molten strike last support gem "Physical Proj att dmg", aren't we converting all our damage to elemental? is the support gem doing anything? I might be confused with how it works. Thanks for your reply.
"
Jigga_Justin wrote:

There're 2 options:

* For convenience sake (which is what I'm doing), you have two 6Ls of your main skills, one in your sword and one in your body armour.

* If you feel particularly feisty, you can have 2 different weapons each with a 6L so that you can switch to depending on the situation. This is extremely expensive since you need 2 6L weapons, but allows you to wear a Kaom's Heart which boost both our HP pool and Molten Strike damage (or wear a Legacy Kaom's Heart but if you can afford that then why are you playing this pauper build)
Last edited by CynthiaCrescent on Jun 26, 2017, 4:48:11 PM
"
Completed 1 Challengesmash69420 wrote:
Absolutely going to give this a shot -- been looking for a way to enjoy frost builds when 3.0 hits and i'll give it a test run and report back. Much appreciated that you don't use anything ridiculously expensive, and that it's not CI/LL.

xoxo

Thanks.

Since I'll be preoccupied once 3.0 comes having someone else experimenting will be great.
"
Completed 22 Challengesgreksix wrote:
I got a question regarding molten strike last support gem "Physical Proj att dmg", aren't we converting all our damage to elemental? is the support gem doing anything? I might be confused with how it works. Thanks for your reply.

We're converting all our phys to ele (cold & fire), but Phys Proj scales our damage before it gets converted, and that will then be scaled through our elemental %.
Any videos coming? How's it treating you still? May hop on this for 3.0 since I want to stick with Raider

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info