I realized this game is even worse than Diablo 3

It's hard for us vets to go back and walk in the shoes of a complete newbie, but I can imagine that for a new guy this game has a rather steep learning curve. Still, that's the part of the fun imo :) Learn the mechanics, read forums/wiki and you'll be fine.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
It's hard to self found unless you play flame totem to 70 or some other abusive shit. Usually I will play that too - it's just easy no brainer way to get you at levels where you can wear good gear and finalize your build into what you really wanted to do. Oh well game is not supposed to be self founded even says so in description.
Git R Dun!
"
Xavderion wrote:
It's hard for us vets to go back and walk in the shoes of a complete newbie, but I can imagine that for a new guy this game has a rather steep learning curve. Still, that's the part of the fun imo :) Learn the mechanics, read forums/wiki and you'll be fine.

The Souls series and Bloodborne are very difficult games and yet you are pretty much able to complete the entire game without grinding (grinding just makes it easier) and without massive jumps in difficulty/difficulty walls because the game was designed from the ground up to be intuitive. The real issue with Path of Exile is that randomly at certain parts of the game for certain builds, you just hit a wall that is basically impossible to overcome without trading, but trading efficiently takes far more game knowledge and meta knowledge then you could possibly ask from a new, or even an average level player.

Path of Exile still suffers from early CRPG design where if you made the wrong choices, you simply just hit a wall and can't progress (or it is insufferably hard to progress if you don't have outside game knowledge). Most players will not be bothered to look up a guide on how to beat something, and they shouldn't have to. There are lots of well crafted and challenging games today that do not require you to look up a guide or a wiki to beat it, nor secret knowledge of some sort. That's the issue that many people have. If you don't pick some bullshit op skill at the beginning, you will walk a long and difficult path where you will have to grind probably 10x as hard as someone else and yet still be far behind economically and fun wise.

I mean, honestly as shallow as Diablo 3 is and still currently is, Blizzard has prioritized player fun over economy and game health and has grown their game as a result. They have a much more active community than they did before. Sure there are major issues with the game, but it has become far more playable and most importantly, fun to play.
Last edited by allbusiness on Nov 29, 2015, 3:43:06 PM
I am always kind of amused by how many people cannot admit the game sucks. It has a lot of potential which is the only reason I have bothered playing so much. The difficulty curve on this game is terrible. The loot and drops are terrible. The entire reason for such awful loot progression is ENTIRELY because of trading, but the game even sucks at that. I've had the same bow for 34 levels now, does that sound like fun? For 34 levels, pretty much everything from mid cruel to maps my character as not found a single upgrade. Every 3-4 hours I log in and grind maps or the dried lake and get bupkiss, I realize trading is why GGG can't bother to give solo players anything good. I wish they removed trading altogether, or made everything bind on account. I like the overall game but I'm never going to play in groups and I dislike everything about the current trading model, which like it or not is how the majority of people playing this game feel.
"
grepman wrote:
I'm saying people are fucking lazy and want to learn as little as possible in the shortest amount of time possible in order to start playing/mastering a game. People for some reason tend to not like long learning curves.

The DEVELOPERS are fucking lazy. It is the job of the game to teach these things, and a well designed game should be fun and rewarding and give you the tools to progress without someone having to go way out of their way to find outside hints and cookie cutter builts to break past some wall that shouldn't be there to begin with.
"
Reinhart wrote:
"
erbermejo wrote:
people dont see what they dont want to see.

"
new players strugle to succed due hidden mechanics, lack of info, bad drops etc. Thats why they rush to spit new content

anyway im done here, have fun and gl

Your argument is bogus since everyone started as a new player. Yes it takes time to learn the ropes but that is what makes this game rewarding. Take that away and it loses all it's charm. It loses it's identity. Making the game easier to cater for a larger audience, is the wrong way to follow.

I think EVE online offers a similar cutthroat gameworld.

EVE actually HAS a cutthroat gameworld/play. but similar? to what? PoE?

lately somehow ppl compare PoE a lot to EVE and honestly i don't see why. Just because it is another game where you have to actually learn the game? well, then yes but thats it! Those 2 games have nothing in common except that.

If you want you can play PoE dumbed down. Just follow a guide, play in standard and have loads of time you can spend in this game. Eventually you get all your items without thinking about any mechanics - just following the guide. The only "hard" things in PoE are time and RNG.

In EVE you actually NEED to learn the game, learn how highsec/lowsec/nullsec works. You need to learn that you can lose your shit in a matter of seconds without expecting it. You need to learn how to survive and even then you WILL die (but significantly less ^^). If you want to grow your wealth (unless buying plex) you need to take more risks. EVE actually rewards you for learning the game.
It also has a very good tutorial to keep new players! It has a very good, player driven trading system.

In PoE? no tutorial, no trading system (ingame), a homepage that would have been "cool" in the last century (lol @ the search function) and also is outdated for years in some parts. And if you want to advance in this game you don't need "knowledge" (well, maybe to some extend) you NEED to have no job or no life aside it to overcome the RNG.

So again ... the only thing you need in this game is TIME, loads of it. And this is nothing that would make it "hard".

What i also read very often lately: "Game in the "old times" were much harder and everything is dumbed down now".
Can some1 please name me such games? i always wondered because i invested MUCH less time in single games back then and always was able to finish them without any help from the net or other sources.
Last edited by Ruefl2x on Nov 29, 2015, 4:39:48 PM
"
themrpid10 wrote:
I am always kind of amused by how many people cannot admit the game sucks. It has a lot of potential which is the only reason I have bothered playing so much. The difficulty curve on this game is terrible. The loot and drops are terrible. The entire reason for such awful loot progression is ENTIRELY because of trading, but the game even sucks at that. I've had the same bow for 34 levels now, does that sound like fun? For 34 levels, pretty much everything from mid cruel to maps my character as not found a single upgrade. Every 3-4 hours I log in and grind maps or the dried lake and get bupkiss, I realize trading is why GGG can't bother to give solo players anything good. I wish they removed trading altogether, or made everything bind on account. I like the overall game but I'm never going to play in groups and I dislike everything about the current trading model, which like it or not is how the majority of people playing this game feel.

Why are you playing this game then when the original philosophy is this:

Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
"
Reinhart wrote:
"
themrpid10 wrote:

Why are you playing this game then when the original philosophy is this:

Deep character customization is a pretty big farce when you don't get very far into the game without playing a MF/item independent build.
"
Ruefl2x wrote:
Can some1 please name me such games? i always wondered because i invested MUCH less time in single games back then and always was able to finish them without any help from the net or other sources.
How about Diablo 2? The game this one was inspired by. If you got through 3 difficulties on your first character without reading anything, you're lying. There were no respecs. Once you screwed up, it was either start over or play a gimped character.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Last edited by mark1030 on Nov 29, 2015, 5:05:24 PM
"
mark1030 wrote:
How about Diablo 2? The game this one was inspired by. If you got through 3 difficulties on your first character without reading anything, you're lying. There were no respecs. Once you screwed up, it was either start over or play a gimped character.
Apparently you didn't play D2 after patch 1.13 (March 2010). TL;DR: Blizzard officially added a full respec option to Den of Evil, on all difficulties.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 29, 2015, 5:10:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info